What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

S19 - Race 2 - Indianapolis

Really disapointed with the DNF, the car felt good and I had climbed in pos but it was all unpicked thru T13 where me and Silva collided when I was lapping him, he had left the door open to me to put it down the inside then, maybe due to Simon maybe not, he turnt in a tad more, or got some oversteer due to shot tires hit me sending me across the track and up the banking across Simon nose and Silva's too, could have been due to lag as Silva was around 190ms and I had a 36ms. But what happens happens and now my one chance to get anything done is too do well in NOLA, a track I'm totally unfamilar with, YAY! I've effectively ruled out all chance of the L4 so I guess you'll be stuck with me in June, or maybe not, got tests running thru out that month, the practice load will be significantly lower however, due to getting the setups ready and myself more familar with the cars...

all went well for me today compared to last race with all the lag. i bought a new motherboard and processor because my previous processor died, thats why i had the problems.
I had a good race, nothing crazy happend. im glad :)
Tnx guys

considering it was a last minute thing for me, i was surprised to not qualy dead last in class, (taking a leaf out of Paul Di Resta's book from hungary) Setup was far from ideal, but it was stable and driveable and i knew id be able to stay clear for the most part. Though seeing how some of my fellow class dive bomb the 370z cars in some places terrified myself haha i took a much more reserved role and waited for straights mostly to pass the cars and i hope they appreciated the kind approach! anyhow due to others misfortune i end up inheriting a top 10 again, which i will gladly take

Unfortunately my race was ended early on lap 9, as I couldn't get back to the pits for repairs due to a blown engine following an incident and heavy wall impact. This was a real shame as I was just starting to find a rhythm after I had some annoying minor screen shuttering for the first few laps. Not sure what this means for my license hopes :confused:.

Steven, you terrified me but it was absolutely nothing to do with how you were driving. As I was waiting for my pit-stop to finish I was looking to check that the coast was clear before leaving my pit box. There was nothing in my mirrors as I left but then your front grill suddenly popped up filling the entire driver's side mirror. I'd had a couple of issues with cars popping in and out of view early in the race but that was the closest that it had happened. Glad you were on the ball to keep us apart!

It was a great race for me. Something above my immagination for the result but, in effect, it was more and MORE scary in comparison with Silverstone. Today the 370z were absolutely not understandeable for me for the first hour of race. There were drivers who took their line (the best thing for me...the GT1 was able to stay on external line and accelerate, without problem, exiting the corner, doing the overtake), drivers who changed their lines with my front at 2 meters from their bump for let me pass in the internal corridor with a sudden move(chapeau my friend but it was not really needed and it was so SCARY in some way) and drivers who were in battle with others 370s and drove in 2 different lines (they were the worst...for the 370 behind the best move is to make the GTR let pass easy, using the same line of the 370 ahead, for "cross" the trajectory, after being passed by the GTR, for to try to make the overtake to the other 370z). After 1 hour I "learned" how every single 370's driver did the "job". But until that point I lost a lot of time and probably they did it too. In T1, an overtake, it was and (in my opinion) needed to be quite impossible except for some case. In T2 the thing was the same (expecially in the close turns right/left). An overtake was clearly possible exiting the turns behind straights, on straights, and a the end of them (and also on the oval part obviously). The rules says that the 370s race for their category and they could/need to make easy the overtake for the GT1's. But they are racing too. So, in my opinion, they need to glue themselves on the internal corridor, with a noticeable move, in time. To let pass a GTR when the 2 cars are steering for entering the turn, or in middle of that, for me, means loss of a lot of time for everyone.
I can also understand some "strange" movement from the 370s. I noticed by myself a lot of divebomb from some GT1 on the 370s and that was really bad. Something like "I am powerful and faster so get away". :confused: Now these "bad boys" will be on the slower car and I'm really scared of a completely mess. I'm scared about some "new" GTR driver will divebomb in the badly place possible on Nola and Sepang.
What we need is to be the less possible dangerous between us. We need to use the same judgment...the same criterion. Nola, in some way, is similar to Indy...but only for a Qualify lap. It is more difficult to pass in my opinion...the 370s are in trouble with a lot of turns. For me, between turn 3 and 6 it's too dangerous to try an overtake between 2 different classes cars. In the fast chicane (turn 8-9) it is purely madness to try that. The last turn it's very hard to do with the 370z so the GTRs will need to have patience and do the overtake at the and of the turn. We're not all chasing a victory between 40 drivers in 1 hour and half of race in a single turn. We all can do our work in completely relax.
Said that, I have to say that I have NOTHING to recriminate to anyone in this race today. It's really hard to stay in 40 simdrivers in a circuit like that. But next 2 circuits will be a sort of hell anyway...we're doing good so let's be better and better mates.

Really disapointed with the DNF, the car felt good and I had climbed in pos but it was all unpicked thru T13 where me and Silva collided when I was lapping him, he had left the door open to me to put it down the inside then, maybe due to Simon maybe not, he turnt in a tad more, or got some oversteer due to shot tires hit me sending me across the track and up the banking across Simon nose and Silva's too, could have been due to lag as Silva was around 190ms and I had a 36ms. But what happens happens and now my one chance to get anything done is too do well in NOLA, a track I'm totally unfamilar with, YAY! I've effectively ruled out all chance of the L4 so I guess you'll be stuck with me in June, or maybe not, got tests running thru out that month, the practice load will be significantly lower however, due to getting the setups ready and myself more familar with the cars...
That’s interesting comments, I pitted at the second code 80 to give me a run to the end and took tyres so I had fresh tyres circa 90% so I didn’t oversteer. I recall seeing a faster car in my mirrors so left good space on the inside and had to lift slightly to not overspeed into the wall on a compromised line. As we made the straight I saw a pink car perpendicular to my front bonnet travelling right to left, narrowly missing me by about a foot or two at 140mph and thought I was the luckiest driver alive, my luck lasted about 0.5 seconds as my natural reaction was to lift and then I was shunted, not sure by the returning pink car off the wall or a car right behind me because I lifted, either way it took two 461 second pits to make the car drivable again and I was making good progress until 5 mins to go when rFactor crashed.

It had been crashing all night and I stupidly updated everything last night due to getting really low FPS on rift despite having top end PC specs. I will have a week to problem solve these crashes so hopefully my reliability will return even if my luck will not.

I’ve looked at the incident on a team mates replay, my crash meant mine was not saved, and it appears from his replay that my nice steady line allowing a car and half’s width to the inside runs wide into the wall then jumps across the track into both your paths... I’m not sure if you can see my ping at this point but I’m home alone so it’s not like the Mrs is watching Netflix (it’s happened before). I haven’t had the chance to see the the server replay as yet.

I don’t think your chances are gone, lag is lag if that’s what it’s determined to be and you have a week to get familiar with the track, we all have to get used to stuff and it tests your adaptability, this race I was really comfortable with the car and the setup and think I had good pace, but the track was always going to be difficult and probably why it was chosen to test drivers awareness and patience. I have to relearn everything as I have a new car with the added factor of negotiating slower cars which is a totally new dynamic as all my multi class experience has been in the slower class.

Good race anyway and congrats to winners
Simon

Apologies for missing the race. My rift crashed in warmup and I had to try and restart the computer to get it going again. Didn't manage to do so before the race start. Sad because I had a good quali time. Onto the next one.
Same issue for my me, except I had all of qualifying to rectify it... session change seems to trigger it for me and I had time to uninstal GeForce experience which seemed to help and managed to get back in before race start

I don’t think your chances are gone, lag is lag if that’s what it’s determined to be and you have a week to get familiar with the track, we all have to get used to stuff and it tests your adaptability, this race I was really comfortable with the car and the setup and think I had good pace, but the track was always going to be difficult and probably why it was chosen to test drivers awareness and patience. I have to relearn everything as I have a new car with the added factor of negotiating slower cars which is a totally new dynamic as all my multi class experience has been in the slower class.

Be advised that the ping you see above the driver names after you press TAB is not their real ping. I don't know what it is but if it shows below 200 it is perfectly fine.
We do require 3 finished races. That is unfortunate for those people who lost their engine due to a crash like Blane did but otherwise we get too many people that loose connection after 20min and don't bother to come back and finish the race.

Be advised that the ping you see above the driver names after you press TAB is not their real ping. I don't know what it is but if it shows below 200 it is perfectly fine.
We do require 3 finished races. That is unfortunate for those people who lost their engine due to a crash like Blane did but otherwise we get too many people that loose connection after 20min and don't bother to come back and finish the race.
Anything seen in game is not apart of anything in the rules. Your ping when you hit 2 is not what we see on the race server which is the only one we can use for measurement. The one you see is usually you > server > back to you
Compared to other drivers this is you > server > other driver

Make sense? ;)

Excellent, info, for future reference if I loose connection can I rejoin to ensure a finished race?

Good to know.... i was so close yesterday, if someone with a blown engine was to disconnect deliberately to preserve a re-entry would this be seen as cheating? I’m assuming normally it would but what about for the purpose of finishing 3 races in the acadamy?

@Andrea Corsetti I think there may be one issue that is particular to the final corner at Indianapolis that makes understanding other drivers intentions more difficult. Even with minimal lag it is noticeable that other cars aren't shown following an absolutely smooth line - the high speed banked corner stretches rF2's ability to predict and smooth online trajectories to the limit. Even a minor correction that the game applies in order to update to the true trajectory of a competitor's line can look like a committed move one way or the other. If there is a slightly greater amount of lag or even a moderate correction from the driver then this can be more pronounced (certainly with my set-up I was having to constantly adjust to avoid scrubbing or sliding in the 370z). I think on one occasion when I was being lapped I caused an issue because the car behind appeared to have made a move down the banking in order to overtake that may not have actually been the case. One way to avoid this issue is for lapping cars to take a line for the pass early so that their intentions can be read - I was often having GT-Rs following directly in my wheeltracks until within less than a metre behind and also making passes with very little lateral clearance. It seems to be one of the limitations of rF2 - wheel to wheel racing in equally matched cars is surprisingly tolerant of lag but really shows up in multiclass events on corners like this.

Unfortunately, I think having been nearly caught out by the unexpected did make me more wary and thus less predictable. But then there were certainly times when I had to adjust my line to avoid incidents.

Steven, you terrified me but it was absolutely nothing to do with how you were driving. As I was waiting for my pit-stop to finish I was looking to check that the coast was clear before leaving my pit box. There was nothing in my mirrors as I left but then your front grill suddenly popped up filling the entire driver's side mirror. I'd had a couple of issues with cars popping in and out of view early in the race but that was the closest that it had happened. Glad you were on the ball to keep us apart!
yeah was certainly a scare, i remember as i was coming downt he pits i was just eye balling all of you guys who were already in your pit stalls to see for movement, sure enough caught sight of you just in time to my right hand side! but yeah dude no probs glad we missed each other haha

Good to know.... i was so close yesterday, if someone with a blown engine was to disconnect deliberately to preserve a re-entry would this be seen as cheating? I’m assuming normally it would but what about for the purpose of finishing 3 races in the acadamy?

nope it's not cheating because it doesn't work. If you blow your engine you won't get a new car once you rejoin. You will still have no engine

Well, I started in front, with nerves I got distracted at the launch and lost some positions but that's not the worst. Suddenly the power goes out at home, what a mess!
I wanted to get back into the race but inexplicably after rejoin had problems with screen freezes and slowdowns and had to leave to avoid causing problems to other drivers.
See you next race!

@Andrea Corsetti I think there may be one issue that is particular to the final corner at Indianapolis that makes understanding other drivers intentions more difficult. Even with minimal lag it is noticeable that other cars aren't shown following an absolutely smooth line - the high speed banked corner stretches rF2's ability to predict and smooth online trajectories to the limit. Even a minor correction that the game applies in order to update to the true trajectory of a competitor's line can look like a committed move one way or the other. If there is a slightly greater amount of lag or even a moderate correction from the driver then this can be more pronounced (certainly with my set-up I was having to constantly adjust to avoid scrubbing or sliding in the 370z). I think on one occasion when I was being lapped I caused an issue because the car behind appeared to have made a move down the banking in order to overtake that may not have actually been the case. One way to avoid this issue is for lapping cars to take a line for the pass early so that their intentions can be read - I was often having GT-Rs following directly in my wheeltracks until within less than a metre behind and also making passes with very little lateral clearance. It seems to be one of the limitations of rF2 - wheel to wheel racing in equally matched cars is surprisingly tolerant of lag but really shows up in multiclass events on corners like this.

Unfortunately, I think having been nearly caught out by the unexpected did make me more wary and thus less predictable. But then there were certainly times when I had to adjust my line to avoid incidents.
Let me guess...in the middle of the banking you started to have a massive lag and less fps and the thing continued also on the straight am I right?
I had the same problem doing a test with rain. In my opinion it is our hardware. I tried to avoid the replay recording but nothing happened so I lowered something on graphic details and I had no problem. I hadn't this problem on Silverstone but it was absolutely clear at Indy. We're also going in the hot season so the GPU are working under a great stress. Do you have a nVidia card? I just downloaded the latest drivers for nVidia (released 5 days ago) and I tried again...absolutely perfect now. nVidia trolls us. Try the same thing if you didn't already.