What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Larger field?

Rino Demeulemeester

Reaction score
Since recently a few more entries were allowed, are we possibly looking towards a larger field in the future?
i believe it's set to 10 per class now?

I think 40 is about the limit rF2 netcode can handle ... but who knows. I think the main premise was to increase the competition in qual a bit.

Maybe VEC can do some large field testing after we get a good stable build.

Roughly 10 per class yes - depends on track and how the server handles - we´re stretching the limit of the tracks.
Maybe Nordschleife....at some point :p

Does this depend on the inerwebz connection the server is running on?
And something I always was aondering about is, if oyu join as spectator does this affect the game a lot?
Wouldn't it be possible to have spectators for every car on the server aswell?

Just asking, have no idea about that.

Does this depend on the inerwebz connection the server is running on?
And something I always was aondering about is, if oyu join as spectator does this affect the game a lot?
Wouldn't it be possible to have spectators for every car on the server aswell?
Just asking, have no idea about that.

Server speed is (current race server) 300/300 and dry server is on a 600/600 mbit connection - so no :) (600/600 is also running the stream and teamspeak - but plenty of mbps left :)
Spectator takes as much as a regular user - so no, under no circumstances are spectators allowed. And teams will get penalties if this happens - i monitor the server on race day to make sure we dont have specators on - unless they are swapping. This is mainly the reason why we want to have livestream.

Jimmi said:
We can put as many cars in as we want. I can run 100 cars - just like the video - however thats not MP. The limit has not been found 100% yet, so i cant say right now.

Ayep. 40 is pushing it. We've run 36 in an endurance race and that was enough. :) 3-4 cars dropped very early in the race because the clients side couldn't handle the load.

And it isn't just the server side. How many drivers have a computer that can handle 50 cars in single player mode? Try it, and see how low you have to go with graphic settings and resolution. :eek:

And connecting isn't the problem as much as keeping connected and then reconnecting properly with driver swaps, and then night fall adds even more load.

So the biggest problem is the client and not the server?
Depends on more than this. Track, mod, server and user.
The track has to be able to handle x amount of cars - both garage and pitboxes. But in the end - if your PC isent up-to-date this is really not our problem.

I think 40 is a good number on the circuits we are racing on. More than 40 around places like Mid Ohio and LRP would just be hell. :eek:

Valid point Simon. Shame many teams have to sit on the sideline due to not making it in to the top 10. That's no blame towards VEC, but a compliment to it's success!
Im trying to plan ahead - maybe we will get something done. But i wont rush into things :)
Its not THAT many teams - usually not every team will confirm, but simply sit out in a couple of races - however racing here and showing up for each race will prove itself worth it for seasons to come :)

Is there any plan to cull the entry list for teams that haven't raced or confirmed yet this year (if there is any)? I may be wrong but this might effect the admins willingness to open registrations back up for some classes.

Is there any plan to cull the entry list for teams that haven't raced or confirmed yet this year (if there is any)? I may be wrong but this might effect the admins willingness to open registrations back up for some classes.
Yes, teams not participating in at least (one of) the 3 first races will be removed - also their access to our mod and server etc.

Server speed is (current race server) 300/300 and dry server is on a 600/600 mbit connection - so no :) (600/600 is also running the stream and teamspeak - but plenty of mbps left :)
Spectator takes as much as a regular user - so no, under no circumstances are spectators allowed. And teams will get penalties if this happens - i monitor the server on race day to make sure we dont have specators on - unless they are swapping. This is mainly the reason why we want to have livestream.

... and hopefully a running live timing as well - endurance is supposed a team event where drivers not racing currently are spotting e.g. times for their team mates.

P.S.: The twitch live stream performance could be improved as well - with an 100 mbps network connection currently the stream is lagging. Did you ever consider youtube livestream instead?

Sent with Tapatalk

... and hopefully a running live timing as well - endurance is supposed a team event where drivers not racing currently are spotting e.g. times for their team mates.
You are very much welcome to re-write liveracers - as this crashes the server - due to a memory leak. ISI stopped using this for a reason. Dont expect there to be a working live timing at all. Teams need drivers to give feedback if there isent. We ran 2-3 season without it in rF1 - its possible...really it is. Alternative we could stop racing until we have a working FLT/Livetiming....
I wont risk a dedicated server crash - so until im 110% sure there isent any issues there wont be.
Stefan who wrote the current one is working his A.... (Sorry i can't express myself in an adult way, so sometimes I use swearing - but luckily the forum corrects me) off to get this to work, but again i wont use anything untested - thats just how i am and this cant be discussed.

P.S.: The twitch live stream performance could be improved as well - with an 100 mbps network connection currently the stream is lagging. Did you ever consider youtube livestream instead?
Yes we´ve used youtube...more work is needed for this - but we might switch back to this as Twitch just is a PITA tbh