What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Weird skin image in-game

Joe Ciampa

Reaction score
If you take a look at the pictures of my skin, I'm getting these weird white dotted lines along the edges of the lights, bonnet, wings, door panels, windows etc..

Can anyone help with this or is seeing the same thing....? I have tried about a million combinations of graphics settings.... nothing makes a difference. Skin is made correctly (i.e. flattened .psd, saved as DXT5 .dds file)

20160816220823_1.jpg 20160819222812_1.jpg 20160819222858_1.jpg

By the way... I don't get these dotted lines in the 'Tuning' section and also they disappear when the car is in a shadow (e.g. parked in a garage)

It has nothing to do with the skin, those are bad anti aliasing where the light specularity is highest.

They are sheens. Obscures the Alfa layer. Test covering her entire black color with 65% transparency.

In our car we are now testing with 50% transparency.

ShiroSINL(1).JPG

There is a reason behind the alpha layer, i have not tested this - but its been there for a while, Tomas correct me if im wrong - but im pretty sure this has to do with the game itself and the actual models.
So changing the alpha layer will simply mean the skin will be rejected.

You can sometimes get lines like that when the segment you are painting doesn't quite fill the templates spaces as completely as it should. So you can see gaps between butting paint areas when the paint is assembled on the car. I'm not saying that is what this is, but it might be worth the review down to the pixel level just to check how close your colour areas are to the template edges. Are they slightly inside in some places? Did your painting completely fill or feather edges?

Cheers

The Nissan is using a different shader, and if it was the skin the same "lines' would be visible in the show room. I'll give the hardcoded material textures a look.

Thanks Thomas. Anything you can do would be great, but don't spend too much time on it. It's not really a major problem. It's not that noticeable when I'm in the cockpit, but it makes the replays look awful.

You can sometimes get lines like that when the segment you are painting doesn't quite fill the templates spaces as completely as it should. So you can see gaps between butting paint areas when the paint is assembled on the car. I'm not saying that is what this is, but it might be worth the review down to the pixel level just to check how close your colour areas are to the template edges. Are they slightly inside in some places? Did your painting completely fill or feather edges?

Tried a very simple one colour covering the whole car (so, no gaps or spaces).... makes no difference :(

Edit to my original post.... It does appear in the tuning garage, its just not so noticeable because the car is close up. This issue is at its worst for objects that are further away. I even get it on the edges where the tarmac changes colour.

Today I installed Steam, rF2 and our MOD on a completely different system (i7-940, 780Ti), and I get exactly the same issues :( - I was worried there might be something wrong with my new system, but this tells me its either rF2 or the MOD. Just for reference, it doesn't happen with PCars, AC, RaceRoom, Automobilista, Dirt Rally or any other of my games.

I'm hoping its just an issue with this build and will be sorted for the next one. I have now spent way too many hours (over 20!!) tinkering with my graphics settings to try to tone it down, but nothing makes any real difference. Its really frustrating.

I'd like to know if anyone else has this issue too, and if anyone else has any ideas... cos I'm running out of them...

Forgot to mention, something else to note, they only appear in direct sunlight. If the car is completely in shadow, or it night time (or even dusk) the issue goes away.

It's all about the shader and the material definitions, specular, fresnel, reflect etc. - I'm not gonne redo all the bodies again, was hoping that URD v2.0 was actually an overall improvement, apparently not. The pixelated 'lines' the graphics card should be able to neutralize/blur out, but maybe RF2 does not support it that good.