What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Using Z1 Dashboard as an overlay - DX11 handy

SJ

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Edit

Here's the guide - was easier to copy paste then I thought lol

Like a lot of you I have felt a bit lost with out Trackmap in DX11, tried a few tablet apps etc but couldn't find anything I liked and unfortunately don't have space for a 4th screen to use Z1 on. So to resolve this I have gone down the path of using Z1 as an overlay.

http://www.z1simwheel.com/dashboard/index.cfm

To do this I took the following steps

1. RF2 must be set to windowed mode (not borderless)

2. Set up all of my dashboards where I want them on the screen

3. Set all dashboards to always on top and title bar to none

4. download this nifty little windows app http://www.lukepaynesoftware.com/projects/peek-through/
This is what will enable you to set the windows to transparent, and also even more interesting you can also set them to be clicked through. I've set the keyboard command to shift F1, this is important if you decide to use my scripts which you see below.

5. Once you have got everything installed and are happy with your layout, I have created some scripts I use to open and close z1 dashboard.

link updated 26/05/17
https://www.dropbox.com/s/80jxmfsnfeap5m7/Z1 Dashboards script.zip?dl=0

You will see in the zip file there a 6 different open VBS files, pick the one for the number of dashboards you require. eg: I am using 4 so I will run the 4 x Z1 Dashboard.

Once selected the script will open up the number of dashes defined and if you set your keyboard command to Shift F1 will also make them transparent.

Lastly when you have finished using them run the Close Z1 Dashboard and all instances of Z1 will be closed.

Hopefully this comes in handy to some of you guys, if you have any questions please let me know.

Cheers

Shawn

Last edited:
Completely forgot I had this. One problem I'm having is when rF2 is in windowed mode, the taskbar is still visible. -_- Damn good idea though.

Completely forgot I had this. One problem I'm having is when rF2 is in windowed mode, the taskbar is still visible. -_- Damn good idea though.
Mine's funny, some time it would appear and other times it wouldn't.

Try right clicking on the taskbar and setting automatically hide in desktop mode seems to stop it coming up. If you have RF2 open when you change this it does put RF2 in an actual window, but just quiting and reopening fixes it.

Updated the timings in the start up script, download link in original post updated.

If you are finding the screens aren't always going transparent, increase the timing in the script.