What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

TV Screen or Tripple Head

Daniel Miebach

Reaction score
Hello together,

I'm planing to build up a rig during the next Season, at first as an addon to my normal gaming/office pc, and later slowly upgrading it to a standalone Machine after it gets funktional.

As rig I'll take a KPCR Rig by Motedis, and that one will be customised with parts, which I need for myself, like a Keyboard holder and other stuff like that....

As first step I'll continue to use my G27 Wheel at this rig and just add a Keyboard and a Monitor.

And that leads to my real point of Interest there.. The monitor setup...

My goals to achieve with monitor (s) and the rig are, to have a good G27 wheel position alinging or corresponding to the ingame wheelposition, so that I'm able to leave out the ingame Wheel without the feel to miss a wheel or not knowing where I go ingame.

The second one is getting a better sourround view especially to the passenger side ...
And from that point on I unsure what's better for my intentions one Big TV Screen like 32 - 40 " or a tripple head with somethine around 27 - 29". I Think 3x 40" is much too big and won't lead to a good racing experience...

And I don't need to have 4K Monitors or some things like that. I'm statisfied with a good looking and well runnung rF2.

Maybe someone has tested it previously and knows the differences.between both types of monitorsettings. I'm not limited by space for the Monitors ... In my office room is much space for a rig :)

Yesterday I tested as a quick shot my framerates at using a dual monitor setup... They were with 2x 1920*1080 constantly between 100 and 120 FPS with 30 AI on the VEC Sebring Track, so I think my current PC should be fine with a tripple on 3* 1920*1080.

My current PC Settings are:
Intel i7 4930K @ 4,3 GHz - Watercooled
ASUS Rampage IV Gene
6GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator
nVidia GTX 780 TI @ 1045MHz 3GB - Watercooled

maybe the GPU will be upgraded later, when it turns out that the nVidia 10X0 Series run rFactor2 without any problems.

Maybe some of you guy's could share your experiences :)

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

well i guess that a tripple monitoring would be the better solution. IMO a 40" TV would be to big, i was playing a few years ago on an 40"TV and have changed after ~6months, cause it was to big for me. So for an comfortable gaming/racing a tripple monitor would be the better decision. I'll also think about tripple monitoring, casue 1 monitor is not bad but for the general FoV you've a btter sight with 3 monitors and of course the sourround view to the passenger side is better then on an 40" IMO.

Hope it helped a little

Regards

Bernd

You will have a higher horizontal resolution using 3x1080p monitors vs 1x1080p/4K TV. Three monitors will also let you "curve" the screen into your peripheral vision rather than using a 0 degree angle (TV).

3 24" monitors will have a total of 63 horizontal inches while a 40" tv will have a total of 35 horizontal inches. The TV will have much higher height, however.

tl;dr triple screen has much higher horizontal visibility and better peripheral curvature

Essentially it can´t be to big as long as the resolution and the space between the pixels (what dictates screendoor effect) is up to the task. I find that quite frustrating both on my 50" tv and my HTC Vive.

Benefit of bigger displays even if you feel they are to big to have at your desk is that it´s easier on the eyes having the monitor at a distance. We have some eye muscle that always have to work when focusing on something really close. The square eye myth from watching tv to closely was actually true :p. On top of that the radiated heat from the monitor can be felt for me.

Never had less eye strain as when I ran my 50 " monitor from 1,8 metres. I have since replaced it with a 35" 21:9 display curved display. I get more viewing area since I have it some 50 cm away and I like the hugging feeling and the depth effect it gives which is reminiscent of the triple monitor setups I tried but it´s certainly causing more eye strain. But I would say it´s worth it for me has the benefit of supporting higher refresh rates as well.

I don´t like bezels much but if it was only for racing I probably would go for 3x27" or something over one 35" ultra wide. but why not 3x35" ultra wide ;). If I could continue dream I would probably liek to run the Icarus 270 degree setup in the wait for VR headsets with much higher resolutions.

Hi Daniel.

I would definitely recommend going to a triple monitor setup. At the end of last year I was using just one Rog Swift (27" - 2560x1440) monitor, but wanted a bigger viewing area. At the time, I wasn't that keen on the idea of triples because of the bezels, so I bought a 34" ultra wide (21:9 - 3440x1440) monitor. Despite the extra 880 pixel width, I never really got the immersion feeling I was looking for. So, earlier this year, I bough two more Rog Swifts. Best thing I ever did! The difference going from 3440x1440 to 7680x1440 is huge for me (even if I use them at 5760x1080, it's still way better). As for the bezels, mine are pretty thin, but, to be honest, I don't notice them now. You get used to and ignore them pretty quickly. I would never go back to a single screen.

One thing I noticed most upon changing from a 42" 1920x1080p screen to 3x29" 1440 monitors is the size of onscreen objects which for me was a down side. I had my single 42" screen FoV set so the cars appeared as near to real life actual size as I could get, which I just did by 'feel'. I have never felt quite so comfortable even with triples as when the size of things appeared life-like even tho I have much wider and better peripheral vision now. But having said that I wouldn't go back to a single unless it is some kind of future flexible monitor that wraps around 180 degrees or more... :cool:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with single and tripple screens ... As most of you guy's prefer and suggest, my personal tendency is to go for a tripple screen setup, because of the better surround view @Neal Pardoe - What you mentioned is the point, which I'm thinking about, I'm a bit fearing, that the things a looking too small, with a maybe 27" Monitors ...
So I think the minimum should be then 29" for having a proper view to feel like beeing in the car ... So I think maybe 29" or 32" will be the way to go, that will be thoughts for the next day's and weeks ;)

So many thanks to you :)

I'm very slowly building a motion rig and am pretty active on two motion sim websites. This is a common discussion (as well as the oculus rift). Neal is 100% right. I think triple monitor is best, but a lot of people underestimate the value of having a big screen and things "feel" right. I have a formula one rig and the 48" TV sits about 3 feet from my face. Sounds weird ... but feels right. But you still miss that side view.

SOLUTION: I've seen this done several times, your center monitor is larger (don't know the dimensions) and the side screens are smaller screens placed on their sides. Attached a pic in case I'm not describing it right.

I've never raced with either setup, but In theory the approach I've described above gives you the benefits of the big screen and LESS peripheral side view. One might argue that the traditional 3 monitor setup gives you too much perif, or you zoom in to get the right amount, but then loose vertical view (which you don't really see for racing rigs because you can't see very far ahead).

Let me know how it goes. As I mentioned in the intro forum, I race Xbox but plan on building a PC Q4 of this year. I'll await your verdict on the monitors as this would be something I'd add next summer.

Good Luck!

Clayton

Attachments

• triple mon.png
    triple mon.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 17
I had my single 42" screen FoV set so the cars appeared as near to real life actual size as I could get, which I just did by 'feel'. I have never felt quite so comfortable even with triples as when the size of things appeared life-like even tho I have much wider and better peripheral vision now. But having said that I wouldn't go back to a single unless it is some kind of future flexible monitor that wraps around 180 degrees or more... :cool:

Neal - did you 'remove the steering wheel in-game such that your actual steering wheel appeared to be in the correct place? If so, do you recall any of the settings that you used [FOV/seat position etc]

Neal - did you 'remove the steering wheel in-game such that your actual steering wheel appeared to be in the correct place? If so, do you recall any of the settings that you used [FOV/seat position etc]
Yes I did and still do remove the steering wheel in-game. To set the FOV//seat position I just used trial and error at setting the size of objects so that they appeared actual life size according to my 'feel' for correctness of life-size appearance. Then I'd go for a drive in a car in the game and see how it compared to how I remembered it size wise. All adjustment was about getting screen objects as close to life size as I could remember, including where the pillars of the windscreen would be in real life too. hth

This is my current view, any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20160727_084655.jpg
    20160727_084655.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 29
If you've tripples, there's no need to fudge with FOV values. Just edit the config.ini with your actual values for monitor size, bezel size, angle and eye distance to the center monitor and the output will be the correct FOV for your setup.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
I'm very slowly building a motion rig and am pretty active on two motion sim websites. This is a common discussion (as well as the oculus rift). Neal is 100% right. I think triple monitor is best, but a lot of people underestimate the value of having a big screen and things "feel" right. I have a formula one rig and the 48" TV sits about 3 feet from my face. Sounds weird ... but feels right. But you still miss that side view.

SOLUTION: I've seen this done several times, your center monitor is larger (don't know the dimensions) and the side screens are smaller screens placed on their sides. Attached a pic in case I'm not describing it right.

I've never raced with either setup, but In theory the approach I've described above gives you the benefits of the big screen and LESS peripheral side view. One might argue that the traditional 3 monitor setup gives you too much perif, or you zoom in to get the right amount, but then loose vertical view (which you don't really see for racing rigs because you can't see very far ahead).

Let me know how it goes. As I mentioned in the intro forum, I race Xbox but plan on building a PC Q4 of this year. I'll await your verdict on the monitors as this would be something I'd add next summer.

Good Luck!

Clayton

Yes having proper scales to everything make it feel more proper and less like you are steering a radio car or something. When running on a 50" and then going back to a 24" where your 320" mm is as wide as the entire monitor is just plain weird. I run rFactor 2 more and more in projector setup it just feels right though when you blew up the screen like that the low res of the Vive/Rift is of course holding back some.

When we get the next generation of GPUs and higher resolution VR headsets I will hardly ever use a regular monitor again. I don´t quite have the space for triple monitor setups you need something like that to compete but still VR helmets ability to shutting of the real world completly is a trait hard to replicate beside the perfect 3D with one screen dedicated to each eye. No more ghosting.

If you've tripples, there's no need to fudge with FOV values. Just edit the config.ini with your actual values for monitor size, bezel size, angle and eye distance to the center monitor and the output will be the correct FOV for your setup.

Just a quick tip..... If you are using triple screens and have the multiview option checked, you don't need to mess with the config.ini file. Just go on track (in cockpit view) and press "Ctrl =". A window will open and you can play with FOV, screen sizes etc..

Yes, but my point is that FOV is actually not a personal preference thing. Google "frustrum" to understand what I mean. For a given setup there's exactly one mathematically right FOV and the easiest way to achieve it is using the config.ini. And yes, multiview should always be enabled, in order to render 3 seperate frustrums and reduce distortions.

Now, of course anyone is free to fudge around and have a less realistically FOV, if they prefer.

Exactly. Below is the link I use. I'm not saying that having the correct FOV is everyone's cup of tea, but if you figure out the mathematically correct FOV it's pretty cool because everything is the right size. In pCars I even adjust the seat so I can't see the drivers steering wheel - my wheel covers it exactly.

Sorry guys but you are wrong about right or correct size. What you get your way is the mathematically correct size for your screen or viewing portal. I'm talking about actual size in real life. That does not change whereas the mathematically correct size for your screen/viewing portal does change according to the size of screen/portal being used, so images will be actually physically larger on a 42" screen compared to a 24" screen.