What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

rF2 DX11 update

Joe Ciampa

Reaction score
For those of you (like me) using DX11 (v1108-dx11-open-beta-last-stable), read this....
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/please-read-change-to-the-dx11-opt-in-beta.55622/
Because it has been removed, Steam will automatically have changed your "Opt in" option to "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs". This might mean that the next time you log into steam (if you haven't already), the DX9 version will download/install (1.7Gb). Then you will have to opt in to the "v1108-dx11-open-beta" and Steam will re-download/install it (another 936.8Mb).

But, IMO, its worth the wait.

For me, FPS is still down compared to DX9, but better than the last update and is buttery smooth.
I've noticed that I can have a couple of Plugins working too. My SRH Monsta display works and so does my DamPlugin (for Motec). The TrackMap plugin can be "on" and doesn't crash rF2, but it doesn't display, and Relative plugin crashes rF2 as before.

There is also a cool feature to performance test your PC and record the results... Just press "Ctrl+F" while on track. It gives more than just your FPS now.

There is obviously a lot more work to do with DX11, but I think this update is a pretty good step forward.
GNS -Spa1.jpg
GNS -Spa2.jpg

Its Absolutely fantastic wat studio-397 does with this beta version.
Where other sim developers took more the a year they do it in two weeks

Last build 10/5/2017 : Build ID : 1813052 is absolute fantastic and it running flawlessly on my triple setup at 5760-1080 with full settings. I'f got nothing left to set higher even in player.json everything is turn on even mirrorview is set to 1000 meters back and no cull.

Even while the track isn't optimized yet It looks absolutely amazing. I will be for sure never ever go back to DX9 again.....

I really like the dx11, my only problem as a newbie is, I need some kinda data on screen to tell me, I am about to get lapped, rating I should try crew chief

I really like the dx11, my only problem as a newbie is, I need some kinda data on screen to tell me, I am about to get lapped, rating I should try crew chief
Well since rF1 the actual normal "trackmap" can still be used - granted its not that great :)
But yeah try Crew chief - works really well.

Youre not even driving, so living without trackmap is doable in your case..;):whistle: :whitles: :whistling::p
But i still can say that i can live without it.. if not dang it. :p But i am pretty sure there is some drivers here who dont use it ;)
But i still drive from time to time and have raced in earlier season and could EASILY use the original stuff - and used it because i didnt want to jeopardize a plugin decided how my race was gonna be ;)

I think there is a contradiction: on the one hand nearly everybody wants the most realistic simulation, but on the other hand the same people want a trackmap, which I never saw in a real car.

I think there is a contradiction: on the one hand nearly everybody wants the most realistic simulation, but on the other hand the same people want a trackmap, which I never saw in a real car.
When is available, not having it is a disadvantage. If you race in rf2 and always used it, its hard to adapt racing without it.
Obviously everyone can race without the plugin but they need a period to adapt. And because it only takes one update to solve the problems its easy to wait and ask for the update.

When is available, not having it is a disadvantage.
No, because I don't use it and I never felt, a disadvantage. Ok, maybe a trackmap is useful to learn a track. But seriously, if you practice for 100+ laps, does it matter then, if I need 5 more or less laps to learn a track?

This is a pointless discussion, people can use whatever plugins they want and yes, you increase the chance of game errors but not running any plugins doesn't completely remove the chance either.

No, because I don't use it and I never felt, a disadvantage. Ok, maybe a trackmap is useful to learn a track. But seriously, if you practice for 100+ laps, does it matter then, if I need 5 more or less laps to learn a track?
Trackmap is not a track map, is the name of the plugin that makes the game like this for example:
Track_Map2.jpg

That way you have all the car's information, included some things that are not included on the rf2 original HUD. That is why its a advantage if you use it.

Trackmap is not a track map, is the name of the plugin that makes the game like this for example:
I know the plugin and I thought about using it, but I decided that I don't need it. Another example is my fanaleds plugin (it shows me on my steering wheel, when I have to upshift with blue lights and the speed). Do I like the blue dots and the speed on my wheel: yes, but do I need them: no (in the test races without plugin I didn't use it. After a driver swap it's also not working. I have the same speed with and without the plugin). So the question is not "Do I need the plugin to drive?", but "Do I want the plugin to drive?".

Track_Map2.jpg

That way you have all the car's information, included some things that are not included on the rf2 original HUD. That is why its a advantage if you use it.
Now my personal opinion and nothing else
This is utterly ridiculous - sorry to say ;) "I want a hardcore sim...but wait a minute i also want all kinda stuff plastered around the screen so it can help me"
/rant off - and again its personal opinions, nothing personal on anyone.

This is a pointless discussion, people can use whatever plugins they want and yes, you increase the chance of game errors but not running any plugins doesn't completely remove the chance either.
Depends.
1.2 Patches and Plug-ins are allowed as long as they do not affect the functions of the simulation, create an unfair advantage, or affect other drivers.
Last italic wording, if we find that any plugin is increasing the frezes we can actually dis-allow it :)

But yeah plugins or not - it is a personal preference and everyone have an opinion in this. However they cant have it on the rules set :)