What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Race rejoins, possible solution?

Joern Hoormann

Reaction score
My team experienced rejoin issues both in the Warmup Race on Road Atlanta and this weekend, where we were very unfortunate to suffer from a crash when hitting the Race button and failed to even start.

I saw some people were actually able to rejoin, and we have an idea. In Road Atlanta, my team mate that was supposed to start the car tried to rejoin a couple of times with no luck, but made an observation on the attempt that worked.

It seems that you only have a certrain amount of time to click the Race button once you joined the server ( 30 seconds counting down in the top right corner of the screen ). If your computer / internet connection is fast enough and the cars on track get loaded within those 30 seconds, the Race button becomes "clickable" and you rejoin.

In my case, the cars were only loaded at about 32 seconds in, and that might be the reason why i could not rejoin the race. Guess that only becomes apparent when there is a huge grid and many cars to load.

I don't know for sure, this is just an idea. Is there an option to increase the time limit to 45-50 seconds?

After checking the Mulitplayer.json file i found a line that says "Delay Between Sessions":30, that might be it.

Correct me if i'm wrong or comment what you think or had similar issues / solutions. Maybe there is no solution after all because ISI. ;)

The PRL Razer Team experienced rejoin issues as well - after rF2 issues during driver swap. We were trying to rejoin for about 15-20 min loosing 8 Laps until we have been able to continue the race.

During our rejoin attempts we have seen failure messages like "Mod not installed" and "Server connection failed" as mentioned by other teams.

Therefore I fully support the proposed solution to potentially address one of the issues. The only disadvantage would be that you have to wait a little longer when session ends...

Sent with Tapatalk

Delay between sessions is not about this. Also matchmaker (where the join button are) don't start downloading games. If you get mod not installed or any error - reboot your PC and join again.
Rejoin is working, people just need to get used to it - if it looses you 8 minutes than be so - way better than loosing your the race.
8 minutes can easily be used in the pits for various issues.

Well i have rebooted my computer three times and have been trying to rejoin for 1,5 hours and it didn't work for me.

It might be an additional problem that my computer crashed before i was in the actual race, so rF2 might not have "seen" me so didn't allow me to rejoin the race.

Interesting observation Joern. This time limit should be easy to test. We could have a few people join the server and advance to race. Then someone can kill rFactor2.exe with taskman, then rejoin the server and rather than click the race button right away, let it sit for 30secs and see if the Race button grays out. Any rejoin tests I have done I typically hit the race button right away. Also, any testing I have done has been with no more than 10 cars on the track so the load time is very quick. I could see the time it takes to load all the skins having some impact on this issue. It would be interesting to know the specs of the machines that had rejoin problems. Maybe there is a pattern. Like all the people that had problems have slower machines that take longer to load all the cars.

I'm not sure if the time between sessions has any impact on this though.

Well i have rebooted my computer three times and have been trying to rejoin for 1,5 hours and it didn't work for me.

It might be an additional problem that my computer crashed before i was in the actual race, so rF2 might not have "seen" me so didn't allow me to rejoin the race.

If your car wasn't on the server for the start of the race session then you are unable to rejoin. If you crash in warmup and then the server advances to the race session while you are gone then you are screwed.

I was in the Race session, but the game crashed on me the instant i hit the Race button. I guess that also counts.

I was in the Race session, but the game crashed on me the instant i hit the Race button. I guess that also counts.

Not sure if already mentioned, but sometimes when you get a disco, it doesn't clear your router properly. Then you either can't join, because the router thinks you're already there, or, you get a join time out.

The answer then is to reboot your router. This has happened to me a couple of times ... I restarted the router but didn't need to reboot my computer.

The server itself takes a while before it gives up on the driver and flags it as disconnected. If you reconnect too fast you will get in before the server has marked you as disconnected. In my testing I have had access to the dedi server so I wait until I see the server say that the driver is disconnected before I try rejoining. I need to test to see what happens if you rejoin too fast.

I will setup a test server and do a bunch of testing of various scenarios. Perhaps we can come up with some rejoin best practices. So far in all of my testing I have never had to reboot (even though a lot of guides say you should) and I have not had to power cycle my router (which a lot of guides say you should) but I always give the server enough time to drop the connection before jumping back on.