What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Online cars are very shaky

Ryan Walker

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else had this problem during the race but anytime I was lapping some cars this morning during my stint some cars were shaking and it wasn't game lag or stuttering.

Not sure if it could be my graphic settings or maybe download or upload speed or maybe graphic settings being set to high.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Ryan

Ryan, I was one of those drivers who you saw shaking about, and it is not fun.

I am not sure what happened or how it happened, but in the closing stages of the race I came in for a scheduled stop. As soon as I came out of the pits, my game began to warp (Almost as if it was phasing in and out of slow motion). Once I hopped on to the Mulsanne straight, my top speed reduced from the usual 234 Mph (377Kph) to barely scraping above 215 Mph. But even though it read as 215, I could hardly pull away from the GTs and I was even slower than the P2s during acceleration and top end. And yes, everyone that I passed (or was passing me) was very jittery and glitchy from my point of view. It got to the point where I had to hand it over to my teammate Adam Hodgkinson which seemed to solve the issue. Adam reported to me that on the Live Stream I seemed to be crawling on the Mulsanne, way off pace.

As far as my frame rate is concerned I was running a consistent 75-85 FPS, once the warping began it averaged around 30-65...very strange.
Perhaps someone could shed some light on this issue? Perhaps it is a lack of performance from my computer or simply one of those funky rFactor bugs?

Last edited:
I don't think that has to do with anyone particular - I saw this getting worse and at the final 30 min it wasent good looking.
I will ISI to have a look.
Could have been the server, come to think about it - the replay is VERY big and could be something about that.

I'm considering to switch the server with a slightly smaller cpu - we need a VPS for timing and possibly teamspeak as well.

To me the jaggyness worsened as the race session progressed, had none in my first four stints but it was pretty bad in my last ones, think it's an issue which ISI need to investigate - however it is kinda weird as the prediction-code should be exactly the same - pings were great on lots of the "jaggy" cars so it's kind of a mystery...

To those who had it worse at the start it sounds more like a client performance thing, lots of visible cars within a short part of the circuit.

That problem was more noticeable in another endurance series last year. There it was apparent during the pracitce sessions as they were set to.something like 30 hours, but when they did a server restart it was gone. They couldnt really find anything, so I guess something gets jaggy within the software.
Definetely not a client issue and I cant believe it is a server issue, because it is the third or fourth server setup by diffent people, who had that problem.

Actually i had that only at my last Stint, most of the time i didn't had any issues with that. It wasn't that bad anyway but looked a bit weird when you overtook :D

I think everyone had that issue towards the end. Looks like the game has issues synchronizing with the server or something. Makes it really hard to fight with another car! When racing door to door it looks like there's a Christmas three on speed besides you. Most anoing.

Actually, to me it looks like the prediction code totally gives up after a certain session length, remember that with a ping of say 60ms and a car going 300mph, the car will in reality "jump" 5 meters per sync - the job of the prediction code is filling the gaps and making the movement somewhat fluent, it does so by looking at the traveling speed, direction and AIW information - if this fails, what you get is pretty much what we experienced.

And 60ms is actually a good ping, so if you or opponents around you have worse ping or go even faster, the jumps will be greater.

The weird shakyness/jitter of the cars could indicate that prediction code still tries to do it's job but struggles to do it properly for some reason.

Last edited:
Actually, to me it looks like the prediction code totally gives up after a certain session length
I had the same idea; it just looks like it updates the car's position every time it receives a packet without "filling the gaps" between them.