What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Inters/Wets and "sweet spot grip"

Tomas Beha

Reaction score
Out of curriosity, since post-Silverstone we've had slightly changed wet compounds in an effort to eliminate/minimize the short timeframe in which, on a drying track, the inters/wets seemed to have way to good grip compared to even slicks on dry track (the so called sweet spot).

We've also had alot of changing weather on the server, running Interlagos, so have anyone experienced any changes ?

Does it still exist or have the changes worked somewhat ?

My experiences so far:
- wets are good
- inters last a bit to long, tyrewear should be higher
- i found not such a sweetspot
- for my taste the crossover between wets and inters is a bit to late for inters. The inters are faster when there is a real dryline coming, for me thats a bit to late.

Biggest problem for me is that the track looses too much grip when rain comes down.

Wet tyres both had better grip before, but this caused them to also be too good in the dry - window for inters is also shorter due to these changes.

The problem with making inters as the tyre model works right now is that they will either be too good in dry conditions or too bad on drying track.

Yes they do last pretty good, but if they didn't there would be no reason to pick them - now you can race them a while into the dry conditions and not just for 8 laps or so, but at some point tge slicks will be the better choice again.

But thanks for the feedback, will see if improvements are possible for next race, but I think new tyre model and examples will be available by then - new challenges :p

No critics from me, just impressions. ;)
If the inters can be used on a more or less wet track is not the important point. Important is thats its predictable, and thats the fact.
I see and understand that the current tyres are limited by the rf2 tyre model.

Is the sudden grip oss when rain starts also related to the tyre model or a point thats cuased by real road?

Critics is welcome as long as it's productive, but I was just trying to explain thoughts and limitations. Exactly what happens when the rain starts is pure speculation, but clearly tyre model and real road evolution is strongly connected - but to me it feels like any rubber will be very quickly (instantly?) washed away and wets will become the right choice, but rain and slicks have always been a really bad combination, one could argue that even wet rubber in the track makes everything very slippery - but RF2 does not really emulate a wet-line by my experience.

I don't mean slicks on wet when rain comes.
Its the rain tyre which i talk about.
With the wets its like the grip is washed away in 2 laps and building slowley again after a few laps.

I think there is an issue with wet tyres in the model which makes wets better the wetter it gets, to a certain degree.

Sounds very unlikely though..

Not really, as the grip relates to two values, wet and dry grip, and the "addition" of these during the very early stagres of the transition of conditions CAN add up to weird result - same as with the "sweet spot"

I've done a few runs in rain and I was very happy with the rain tiyre performance, really enjoyed driving in the rain.
I'd say it is one of the better rain tires I've driven in rf2 if not the best.

Haven't tried the inters yet.

I've generally found the Wet's last long enough to swap straight to Slicks, I'm sure there would be a window where Inters will be quicker but i've yet to find it.

I don't have that many data on protos wear, but I think they may generally last longer due to better grip AND downforce - less sliding and traction loss.

When rain starts remember the roal Road washes away. However tyres are where they should by now, please dont expect changes in the next month or before Spa. Changing things between each race is not an option. Let's leave it for a race now.

Last night we had a good long drying period and I have to say that I'm satisfied with the wet/inter compounds now.

Inters are very durable and can be used to drive well into the time of where a clear dry line has appeared, however they were never faster than the slicks on DRY track (1-2 sec. slower)

I've generally found the Wet's last long enough to swap straight to Slicks, I'm sure there would be a window where Inters will be quicker but i've yet to find it.

That is exactly the opposite of what i have experienced. On a light wet track inters are by far more stable and quicker than wets (2-3 seconds pr. lap), it has to be real heavy rain before wets are best but then inters does not work.