What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

High end CPU for RF2

Adam Taylor

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Hello

My current CPU is a i7 6800k and it isn't performing particularly well. If any one has suggestions as to what I should replace it with it would be much appreciated. I am using a Asus ROG STRIX Intel X99 RGB motherboard, I am willing to replace this as well if need be.

Thank you.

Hello

My current CPU is a i7 6800k and it isn't performing particularly well. If any one has suggestions as to what I should replace it with it would be much appreciated. I am using a Asus ROG STRIX Intel X99 RGB motherboard, I am willing to replace this as well if need be.

Thank you.

Thing is that rf2 surely doesn't support 6 cores, so go for a 4 core cpu with higher clock rate than yours (3,4 ghz). Problem is that the socket which your mainboard supports mostly offers 6 or 8 core cpus. So i think it could be that you need to replace that as well. The cpu that Jimmi got is pretty decent for your purpose, but you need a mainboard with the 1151 Socket for that one.

I may be wrong but I don't see any reason to change your cpu, it should perform well, close to an i5 6500 in single-thread. OFC an I7K would perform better (in games) but your should do the work. What's your problem?

Last edited:
What's exactly your problem on rF2? Can you write down your complete rig? :)
These are my specs:
Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING Mother board.
Intel Core i7 6800K s2011 @4.2ghz
bequiet BK018 Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler.
Nvidia Titan X Pascal
1TB SSUNG 850 PRO SSD
850W EVGA SuperNOVA GS PSU

Reactions: SJ
Any memory?

Are you overclocking the CPU? Just had a quick look for that CPU, it seems to be listed @ 3.4 ghz. If you are overclocking it have you tried it without the overclock to see if that's the issue

Last edited:
The problem with this high end, but low clock speed 2011 socket cpu's is that they have lower clock speeds compared to a 7700k for example, meaning that in games like rfactor 2 and Arma for example they are not ideal. Because this games like clock speeds and not so much a lot of cores.
What you need is a cpu that runs at 4.4ghz to have a little bit of breathing room.
You can also overclock your cpu to 4.0 without much effort or 4.4 with a lot of effort and testing.
The only problem with overclocking is that you need to know what you are doing and it takes days to get to a complete stable overclock(if you know what you are doing).
In simracing in my opinion having a stable pc is more important than having 5+fps.
If your frames are good don't change cpu and motherboard just because the cpu runs at 100% in 2 or 4 cores.

If you really want to have a lot of frames and a CPU that doens't run at 100% in 2 or 4 cores in rf2 go for a high end high clock speed core i7 like a 7700k.

Any memory?

Are you overclocking the CPU? Just had a quick look for that CPU, it seems to be listed @ 3.4 ghz. If you are overclocking it have you tried it without the overclock to see if that's the issue
I have tried it with default settings and it is no better.

I have the same cpu and don't seem to have any issues.

Adam I think you need to find whats causing the high cpu usage first before changing your hardware
I don't know whether it could have something to do with me running triple screens and a Bodnar wheel.

I have triple screens (nvidia physx) at idle my system load is approx 3.0%. Not sure how difficult it would be to remove the driver for the wheel and see if that makes a difference or even boot pc in safe made and see if that makes any difference