What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Headlights

Luis Nieto

Reaction score
New to rf2, so sorry for my ignorance.
In rf1 we could install a mod for better headlights. Do we have something like that for rf2. Or is there something I can change in my .PLR
I'm only asking this because the other day, just before the qualy session, the server was setup during night, and I noticed that at least with my screens I could only managed to see 20 feet in front of me, I could not see my braking points, nor the 150, 100, 50 meter cartels.

thanks in advace

The most effective way is disable HDR. If you then can´t see the headlights then you need to change your monitor settings or more likely exchange the monitor.

On my 980 GPU I think the flashlights should be a bit more effective when using HDR and a bit less effective when not to be entirely realistic. But I am on a lcd monitor with 3000:1 contrast ratio at best. Maybe HDR is tuned towards a CRTs or good plasmas contrast levels.

Never ever ever disable HDR - this is why some people think rFactor 2 is "ugly"
Whats interesting is that you say you cant see the signs - which kinda say something else is wrong i guess.

Make an ingame screenshot of how it looks - obviously in the dark, it will be dark - as in "harder to drive" which is not the case if you disable HDR (and trust me, this option wont stay in rFactor 2 forever).

New to rf2, so sorry for my ignorance.
In rf1 we could install a mod for better headlights. Do we have something like that for rf2. Or is there something I can change in my .PLR
I'm only asking this because the other day, just before the qualy session, the server was setup during night, and I noticed that at least with my screens I could only managed to see 20 feet in front of me, I could not see my braking points, nor the 150, 100, 50 meter cartels.

thanks in advace

Then your system is not calibrated correctly, it is VERY possible to drive when it get's dark in never builds, also with HDR ON. And as Jimmi says, hopefully the HDR-OFF "cheat" will be disabled at some point in the near future.

Never ever ever disable HDR - this is why some people think rFactor 2 is "ugly"
Whats interesting is that you say you cant see the signs - which kinda say something else is wrong i guess.

Make an ingame screenshot of how it looks - obviously in the dark, it will be dark - as in "harder to drive" which is not the case if you disable HDR (and trust me, this option wont stay in rFactor 2 forever).

I have HDR turned on, but I think it's the tripple screen. I can sort of see on from my middle screen, but the side screens are complete black. Not even in the pit lane. Maybe i'll just have to go back to 1 screen in rf2.

Luis do you use a TN panel? Might be the angle that make them go all black. If you adjust your view so you are not looking at them from an angle? LCD technologue really can´t deal properly with night racing need to get a CRT or possibly a plasma/OLED for any kind of real reference.

CRT is the real cheat if we are going there. There you can get contrast levels quite close to what we get in real life. I don´t really have a problem see where I am going IRL with head lights on when pitch black outside.

I don't have an issue running tripples with HDR ON, ran both Spa 24 and Sebring with it. I'm not using MultiView at the moment though, as it eats up more FPS - prefer smooth graphics. It's a real shame though, as MultiView DOES look better and feel more natural. But yes, viewing angle can make a big difference.

I run 3 screens too, with HDR and multiview on (as Tomas said, multiview is way better buts eats FPS, but my monitors are G-Sync so its always smooth). As for lights, I too have never had an issue. My screens are TN panels, so viewing angle is important, but even if they are 45 degrees away from perpendicular to your eyes, they still shouldn't look completely black. I would suggest its something to do with either your colour/contrast/brightness settings on the actual monitors, or maybe that and your graphics settings. Maybe worth playing about with them.