What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

GID HUD

Mark Fuller

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
HI,

Anyone else using GID Hud by Fazerbox?? I have been using V1.1.4 rfefull for some time in rFactor and I am pretty sure that I ran it last year in rFactor 2 in a different racing series. Have use the installer today and the GID folder has appeared in plugins etc having installed in the rFactor 2 directory. However, no widgets are present. Got a niggling doubt that there's something else I need and had a very quick 'net search, but nothing came up. Anyone using it and have any advice what may have gone wrong or still need doing?

Thanks,

M

I don't think the GID works in rF2 at all. However, Fazerbox wrote the Trackmap, which is the same thing but designed for rF2.

Search the ISI forum for trackmap to find the latest version, 0.94, I think.

There are a couple of caveats:

Only works with the 32bit format ... have to select that in the launcher, and in 798 you kind of have to install it in 2 places to make it work (check the last couple of pages in the trackmap thread for instructions on how to install it. Finally, because the .aiw and .gdb files are in a mas file you have to extract them into the trackmap folder for it to create the map.

Fazerbox is supposed to do a 64bit version, but not for a couple of months.

I've used the GID in rF1 & Trackmap in rF2 for several VEC/VOR seasons with no problems.

Hope that helps.

OK - did a bit more investigation and found that I had Trackmap present in my rFactor2 directory :confused:. Obviously been here before and installed it [been a 9 months since I last used rFactor 2].

So, it wasn't showing up in the mod, so did some research as I have build 798 and came across this:

TrackMap Plugin (32 bit) for rF2 Build 798:
>Move d3d9.dll, TrackMapPlugin.ini from their original locations to rFactor2\Bin32 folder.
>Move TrackMapPlugin.dll from its original location to rFactor2\Bin32\Plugins folder.
>Keep the TrackMap folder in its original rFactor2\Plugins folder; it should NOT be moved to the Bin32\plugins folder
>Finally, if you are running rF2 in a 64bit OS, tick the check box next to "Use 32 bit executable on 64 bit capable operating systems" in the Advanced tab of the launcher.

I followed the instructions contained therein and the launcher came up with the following message when I tried to start an off line session - Failed to launch rFactor. Ensure that rFactor2.exe is located in Core and this application is in the root of the install directory. To clear this I unchecked the Use 32 bit executable on 64 bit ................. above and the game loads. However, the trackmap is not present.

Jerry - you stated "Only works with the 32bit format ... have to select that in the launcher, and in 798 you kind of have to install it in 2 places to make it work (check the last couple of pages in the trackmap thread for instructions on how to install it." Cannot find anything about this, are you able to explain any further or point me to something that does?

Cheers,

Mark

Been trying various things and followed the guidance here:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Dino Paolini
After some trial and error and thanks to KILL BILL, here is a quick installation guide for the plugin for build 798 and the new file-structure it introduced

Copy the d3d9.dll and the TrackMapPlugin.ini (found in the core-folder in the zip-file) into ...\rFactor2\Bin32
Next, copy the TrackMap folder and the TrackMapPlugin.dll (found in the plugins-folder in the zip-file) into ...\rFactor2\Bin32\Plugins as well as ...\rFactor2\Plugins (create that folder yourself) --- it has to be copied into both these destinations, otherwise it won't work
quote_icon.png
Should there be anything else anywhere else??

Still no luck. Wondering if there is another issue with the installation as I don't seem to get other sounds in-game, other than my own engine noise. Not getting that annoying man saying the time for a lap etc.

Sorry you're having problems. This is what is working for me:

1) First, I have my rF2 mod installed in a games folder, NOT /Program Files or /Program Files (x86), since I don't want win7 trying to control my installed files.

2) In my main rF2 folder, I have a plugins folder containing the trackmap folder and trackmapplugin.dll. (I think I might have had to create the /plugins folder myself ... don't remember.

3) In my /bin32 folder I have a /plugins folder containing the same /TrackMap folder and the trackmapplugin.dll, along with the standard folders and files that rF2 put in there; /miles and tracker_rF2_plugin.dll

4) Also in the /bin32 folder is the d3d9.dll file that came with trackmap, along with the other files already installed by rF2.

5) That's it. Also, the trackmapplugin.ini file is there, but that is created when trackmap runs the first time.

6) You DO have to select the 32bit exe in the launcher/advanced tab, or it won't work.

7) Because of the way rF2 is setup now, you have to install any new track's .aiw & .gdb yourself or the track map won't show up. However, you can do it manually by running a lap if you want (see the trackmap instructions for that)

Hope that solves your problems. I would have posted pix, but didn't know how to do them, sorry.

Finally, two things:
1) You said you are having sound problems, etc. I don't know why that would be affected by the trackmap install. If these persist, you might want to dl the rF2 798 lite and install a fresh version, then install the VEC mod/tracks into it.

2) For some reason, when I first loaded the Indy track, all my widgets were there, but no trackmap. I finally figured out that for some reason, the map was bigger than my screen, lol? When I shrank it, it appeared on my screen and I could move and size it as I wanted.

Last edited:
Hi Jerry - thanks for that. Came to a similar conclusion last night [had rF2 installed in the Program Files area] and so re-installed outside of the Windows folder [as I have already done for rF1]. So, followed your steps above and hey presto! I have Trackmaps :) Even managed to record my own track ;)

One final question which I have struggled with GID and Trackmaps - how to you change the type of widget? E.g. the wear widget usually has several variants [as does the Grid], but I have searched high and low and cannot find how to do this.

Again, many thanks for your help,

Mark

Im not sure if you can change the types, all you can change is the locations (or at least thats what i know.
Alt-space in game

Hi Jimmi - yes there is more than one wear widget, but cannot remember how to change it. Am aware of Alt-space then select the top option [Select Object] which has >> against the widget, but I cannot find the key option to then select this.

Yes. alt space to open menu, enter to go to 2nd page of objects, up/down to find object, and right arrow to cycle through the available versions. LCD, wear, and maybe some others have different versions.

Remember to save to all layouts before leaving or it will revert back.

All is in the doc folder, though it's a lot of reading, lol.

OK, thanks Jerry will try that, but think I may have already tried it. But, will have a look when I get home later.

Thanks,

M

OK, thanks Jerry will try that, but think I may have already tried it. But, will have a look when I get home later.

Thanks,

M

OK, I've attached my trackmapconf.txt. You can put it in your install, replacing yours, then modify to taste. (screen resolution, etc. will effect it)

I also added P1 and GT3 designations, so you can cycle the standings grid between all, P1, & GT3. It is mapped to the 2 right buttons on the G25 console. You can go in that file and change the mapping to whatever.

By the by, it goes in the main rF2/plugins/trackmap folder. The one in the /bin32 doesn't seem to get updated.

Attachments

• trackmapconf.txt
    18.9 KB · Views: 14
Jerry - could you confirm that these are the lines that cycle the standing grid between the classes?

.GRIDMODE = Controller, 1, Button, 3, EventDown
.GRIDMODE = VK_F12, EventDown

GRIDCLASS = Controller, 1, Button, 4, EventDown

If so, if I don't want this facility, do I just delete the lines? Or, how do I map to a keyboard button?

Thanks

Mark, the dot in front of the line ".GRIDMODE etc." makes the program ignore that line ... so in the above example, only GRIDCLASS is active.

I guess you could delete them, but it's totally unnecessary.

Delete the dot in front of ".GRIDMODE = Controller, 1, Button, 3, EventDown" and the 2 right side buttons on the G25 console control those selections, class and mode.

For me this is very important, especially at VEC, where there are a lot of cars but you may only want info on your class. Also the mode button controlling (gap to leader, gap to me, interval, best lap, and last lap) is very useful.

If you want to map a keyboard button, do it like the ".GRIDMODE = VK_F12, EventDown" above, which, if active would "press" the F12 button. If you want to map it to the "J" key, you would enter: "GRIDMODE = J, EventDown"

For a key you don't know, you can use gidkeyboard.exe in the trackmaps folder to see what key name to use.

If you have to run rFactor2 in 32bit then it might be a good idea to tune down some graphics when we hit full grid events with up to 50 cars using unique skins and . VEH files... You might run out of memory.

Hi Tomas - only running in 32bit so that Trackmap works. My system is 64bit, but Trackmap doesn't work in this mode :-(

I would suggest everyone to run in 64 bit, yes trackmap plugin is a great plugin - however why risk running out of memory :)