What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Anti cheat tool

Mark Fuller

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
I have installed this on my machine and ran it last night at Interlagos. I had no issues at all with using it, assuming that it was running correctly. So, my question is - are VEC monitoring this now? If they are, is it possible to advise drivers if it works correctly, or is there another way that I can check?

Cheers

Stefan - doesn't answer my question - how do I know that I have got it working correctly?

Is it possible to inspect the source code of this anti-cheat tool?

After all, how do we know otherwise that it's fair to all drivers?

It is my opinion that an anti-cheat tool, assuming it's needed, should be open source.

Is it possible to inspect the source code of this anti-cheat tool?
After all, how do we know otherwise that it's fair to all drivers?
It is my opinion that an anti-cheat tool, assuming it's needed, should be open source.
Go ask on SRT page, we are not making the tool - but we are using it. We are gonna use it no matter what, we´ve tested it and found it good. This has been tested by several people and teams.

I suspect it wont be open source - because then it could be open for alterations. But again - we require it for Daytona, and drivers not using this will be DQ´ed.

Still not answering Mark's question though. ;) I have also been using it, and no problems at Brazil. But it would be nice to get some confirmation, either from in SRT or VEC, that the tool works as intended, and that our install and config of the AntiCheat tool is correct and recording logs as intended. Maybe closer to the time, or to test properly at the roar before daytona.

Still not answering Mark's question though.
Simply because i didnt see it - someone else asked...
So, my question is - are VEC monitoring this now?
Yes
from in SRT or VEC, that the tool works as intended
I will - as soon as i get a chance to go to that department - right now - i have approx 2 months to prepare this, so its not in the highest priority. Right now Interlagos and prepping the new build etc has my attention. I will get back to the SRT tool as soon as i possibly can.

It should NOT be open-source, that will only help cheaters to develop anti-anti(?)-measures - but ofcause it would be nice to be able to confirm that your legal install is recognized as being legal.

It should NOT be open-source, that will only help cheaters to develop anti-anti(?)-measures - but ofcause it would be nice to be able to confirm that your legal install is recognized as being legal.

Thomas, I get your point.

A solution could be to allow inspection of the plugin code by VEC stewards or some technical people nominated by VEC administration, as guarantee that the plugin is fair to all teams.

I would certainly offer my help in such case. That's all I wanted to say.

I guess Cosimo if Jimmi & the staff chose to make it mandatory for the next race, they had their questions & answers about it and made all the test they needed. :)

Guys, that's not what open source means at all.
Open source does not mean you can just alter the program like you wish. The checks it does to check for a legal install need to be robust and determined from the data rF2 is storing in memory for usage. If they aren't and you can "pretend" the install is legal, then you have an issue - open source or not. If it's open source, issues can actually be found more easily as more eyes can check the code.
Open source also is not less secure. If it's a robust program with robust checks, making the source open is not going to reduce the effectiveness of the program. The robustness of the program is the most significant element of it's effectiveness, not the availability of the code. At best you're adding security by obfuscation, which is not real security at all. As the National Institute of of Standards and Technology said: "System security should not depend on the secrecy of the implementation or its components." (quotes as per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity)

I'm not entirely happy about being asked to run code I feel unsure about on my machine, especially code that presumably must have access to the memory of other processes (or it couldn't check rF2's status). There's generally two sources of trust to build here - the code is open source and can be audited or the cost of doing horrible things with the program is too high for the software developer to make it a likely scenario. If any reasonably sized developer (say ISI, or Kunos, or Microsoft) were doing dubious things in their code and it were discovered, they'd take a huge hit in their livelihood or outright end their existence. For SRT, something I have never heard of before, I am not sure that's the case.

No, I'm aware that you can't simply alter the code, but it can give insight to exactly what the code is looking for, and thereby give clue on how to undermine and trick it.

SRT is made from the owner of GTItalia league, which we have been sharing thoughts with, both the owner and several of his admins. So I have 0 doubts of its origin and of its use.

Anyone can register at their forums and ask any questions, im regged there - but i havent been following (nor will i) any discussions about it. Im trusting GTItalia to the fullest, just like i trust several other leagues which we are "working together" with.

Its not worse than using simsync really - but ok, if you dont want to use it - fine by me, we do however require it.

Open source, yes you will be able to look into details - which i dont really think is needed.

While it's not as good as the code having been audited, a strong statement and explanation of your trust from you actually counts for something, so thanks.

Somebody know if the anticheat tool will cause a "false" case of cheating if i'm using Sweet FX? If someone doesn't know what it is, there are extra files which improve the visual style of the game (it doesn't modify files, just add some more files into the game folder).

Somebody know if the anticheat tool will cause a "false" case of cheating if i'm using Sweet FX? If someone doesn't know what it is, there are extra files which improve the visual style of the game (it doesn't modify files, just add some more files into the game folder).
Go ahead and install and run the tool, then fire up whatever you use and rFactor 2 - that way we can test it.

I have to step in here and voice my opinion. I've been developing software for over 20 years now, most of that time professionally and stating that such a piece of software would be less secure if it were open sourced is nonsense. In fact, if the tool relies solely on the fact that it is not, it will probably be defeated easily. By making it open source people can review it. Some of the best security software is open source. It is secure by design. Security through obscurity won't work.

Now I'm not saying its authors must open source it, that is of course up to them. I am just saying that a question from our community to open source it for review is not nonsense. It makes perfect sense.

And as posted several times - this is NOT anything you should argue here but head on over to SRTs forum. Creator of the anti cheat tool will answer any of your questions, he even said you are free to contact him on facebook if you have any questions. His name is Mauro Musella.

But i´d suggest, if you need to know stuff - use their forums - that way it can be read by others :)