What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Would you like to see the numbers of cuts to go up to 5 per driver instead of 3?

Would you like to see the numbers of cuts to go up to 5 per driver instead of 3?

• Yes

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nuno Pinto

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with VEC or VLMS, just a personal curiosity.
If you say no please explain why.
I chose the number 5 because in my opinion is the "right" amount.
If you have another idea on how it should be or work post it please.

Doesn’t matter this is directly in the code - so the vote can’t really fix anything.

This depends on your stint length. Additionally if you cut big (lets say you spin over the chicane) you can get multiple cuts at once.

Optimally the system would need an overhaul, but I think there are other things more important at the moment and the system now in place is satisfactory.

Last edited:
i dont mind the 3 cuts, its the 4th cut penalizing u again anda again, a stop n go should reset the number back to 0

One could argue that the car actually keeps those warnings in real life. So the fact that they are reset after a swap is actually “being nice to you” ;)

I have never seen a driver go over the white line and get a penalty, maybe a warning like this year @ the real Le Mans race and if the driver continued like that sure, but a penalty for going 4 times over the white line... still seems a bit too harsh and the 5th and 6th time and so on it's always a penalty. I remember for example seeing Vettel doing a full F1 race going over the white lines at T13 on Bahrain. And this happens on a lot of circuits for all drivers and all sorts of categories, I only think is a bit too harsh the current system even though is the same for everyone and going for 5 cuts would at least soften a bit.
For example, check iRacing, they have the possibility to do hundrends of cuts during a 24hour race, im not asking for hundreds of cuts, just 5.

And if you have x amount of incident points you get DQ’ed
I believe that is not a route we want to take ;)

I have never seen a driver go over the white line and get a penalty, maybe a warning like this year @ the real Le Mans race and if the driver continued like that sure, but a penalty for going 4 times over the white line... still seems a bit too harsh and the 5th and 6th time and so on it's always a penalty. I remember for example seeing Vettel doing a full F1 race going over the white lines at T13 on Bahrain. And this happens on a lot of circuits for all drivers and all sorts of categories, I only think is a bit too harsh the current system even though is the same for everyone and going for 5 cuts would at least soften a bit.
For example, check iRacing, they have the possibility to do hundrends of cuts during a 24hour race, im not asking for hundreds of cuts, just 5.
Have you by any chance watched the Spa 24 and the amount of penalties for track limit violations in that?

If anything, this should be done by a live person who could see if there was an actual gain from this 'cut', as must cuts that I've had this season I havn't gained from but has more been a mistake in driving and running wide.
- That's the only way to fix it.
Having it done by a computer that can't tell left from right is a problem with 'ethical' rules.

I've never had a cut penalty, so... don't see a problem with three cuts.

The only need for more would be if you're abusing the track, or extremely unlucky and gone off three times and had three incorrect cut penalties. To be fair, those are really annoying because there's more than a few tracks where you get penalised for taking an escape road. Still not a reason to raise it, to be honest. You need to learn where those places are before the race and account for the risk they have. The system has its flaws, but it works well enough.

- That's the only way to fix it.
Project CARS 2 does it very well without live stewards ... [in regards of cutting penalties]
So they calculate the amount of time you gained and you can then give it back ; if not that time will be deducted as a time penalty.
Additionally if you exceed the limits too many times, you get warnings, drivethroughs and stop & go penalties.

I'm ok with 3 warnings, when it works correctly.

I only hope we can avoid what happened in the last 24H Le Mans race and on some other old tracks, I'm talking about those multiple penalties (we received 3 stop and go's :x3:) assigned from the game for our first and single off track just because on the run off area there are some "magic zones". I remember Jimmi explained it was a "track layers" issue or something.

If we can't be sure it will show up again somewhere this season, I would suggest to ask s397 to prevent this to happen...forcing the game to not assign a new penalty within X seconds for example? :whistle: :whitles: :whistling:

I voted for no, because:
  • if you set it to 5, the next one will ask for 7, then for 9 and so on
  • with a higher amount of allowed cuts you will make some drivers more aggressive and other will still try to keep the number of cuts at 0 and why you should help people who don't respect the limits
  • the problem with cuts during a spin etc. should be fixed, but increasing the number of cuts is the wrong way to fix this problem
  • if there would be a wall at 2 wheels behind the white line, the wall ends your race after one contact and the white line allows you 3 cuts
A little bit off topic: In a lot of cases the modern racetracks are the problem of cuttening. E.g Spa - Eau Rouge + Raidillon: In the past there were gravel traps so nobody was able to cut these turns and today there is asphalt everywhere and a lot of cuts occure. As result modern race tracks are maybe more save, but boring.

I voted no because I can't figure out why 5 (or 3 for that matter) is the 'right' amount.

If anything needs to be done about cutting I'd prefer that certain anti-cut objects would be put in place in corners that are sensative to cutting. Another model that I appreciate is the Hockenheim turn one approach where people can run wide without harm, provided that they return within the lines before a certain marked spot (signified with a post and a white line that is drawn perpendicular to the race line). That way racing the track will feel natural without having to worry about strokes on the cut-track register.

I voted no because I can't figure out why 5 (or 3 for that matter) is the 'right' amount.

If anything needs to be done about cutting I'd prefer that certain anti-cut objects would be put in place in corners that are sensative to cutting. Another model that I appreciate is the Hockenheim turn one approach where people can run wide without harm, provided that they return within the lines before a certain marked spot (signified with a post and a white line that is drawn perpendicular to the race line). That way racing the track will feel natural without having to worry about strokes on the cut-track register.
This is basically argued against in this quote (which i agree on) - but also understand your point Yoeri.
some drivers more aggressive and other will still try to keep the number of cuts at 0 and why you should help people who don't respect the limits
I understand the reason that sometimes in races you run wide, but yeah i think we´ve managed to do this quite well over the years - with the anticuts. Now when sliding off track getting multiple penalties is usually what goes on - on modded tracks as they tend to make a lot of "surfaces" which makes it difficult for the game to understand.

This is a delicate topic, But i must agree with @Dennis Lind.

During last seasons Lemans, i touched that nasty Curb on the inside of the kink just before the braking zone for the Dunlop chicane, and like always happened to our car it went flying into the gravel, wich means that I caught some 4 or 5 stop and go penalties. I talked with the race director of Div3 and all was sorted.
The computer as no way of telling if it was loss of control or a deliberate CUT from the driver. But I also belive that having stewards for all the divisions keeping an eye out for situations like this must be complicated.