What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

VR: rf2 crashes/freezes with Oculus Rift

Stefan Kanitz

Reaction score
Hi there,

as mentioned in the Indy thread my game froze and crashed after that. Got the "VR Content loading" Screen in my headset. I read it seems to that iam not the only one with this problem.
Iam in touch with Marcel but maybe we can try to find the problem here.

About my DNF: In Silverstone after 80 Minutes, in Indy after 3 laps. No plugins apart from Motec Plugin. And it just happened in the race. Practice was fine.

have you checked your temps? I had this problem while practicing. I opened up the air vents in my case put an extra fan on in the room and had no issues during the race.

I've read this thread and the "Indy thread". There is unfortunately not a lot of information to go on. If people who are having these crashes could try and test to see if they can somehow narrow down the problem more, that would be very welcome. We will also keep an eye on it at Studio 397 and I'm talking to Stefan to see if I can pinpoint what's going on on his system.

Here it is. But iam almost sure its due to the "Oculus Software Update" problem. Now the software dont show me to update anymore. I will give it a try in Nola. If it crashes again though luck.

Attachments

• Stefan Kanitz.rar
    13.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi guys
Unhappily I have also had the same problems as Stefan Kanitz. In both races the game was cracked for no reason
I leave my player and config files
Thank you

Attachments

• Miguel Oliveira.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 0
I have had issues recently with my Rift randomly going black and crashing out to the desktop. Seems quite a common issue with the Rift, after the last Windows update. Some things that I have learnt are - use a stable video driver, particularly if using Nvidia [current thinking is that 388.59 is the last stable one for VR - however, I am using the latest driver and seems ok]. The power mode in W10 is important - I had mine on performance - balanced is the way to go.

Hi guys

First race without problems, I think the problem is the latest nvidia drivers.
I changed the last drivers by 398.11, and I was able to make a race without any kind of problems

Don't think it's related to the driver. Iam more the opinion it's due to the oculus software update failure. After reinstalling it and using the latest version I don't have any problem anymore.

@Stefan Kanitz There is quite a bit of info on the interweb about Nvidia drivers after 388.59 and VR issues. I believe that Nvidia were aware and hopefully have resolved this, as I have not had an issue with the latest driver. However, from my research, it is not only just the driver.

I have this issue too, sorry to wake up an old thread but it is just randomly sporadic. I have read alot and done alot as follows...
Uninstalled nVidia using DDU in safe mode , installed fresh new nVidia drivers in clean install.
Disabled both windows defender and stopped Afterburner running.
Modified all power to max performance
Disabled allow window to save power on this device ( rift sensors)
Moved all my usb connectors around and they are all VR ready ports
updated bios
updated chipset for usb ports

not tried...
new usb pci card which i will have on monday

in oculus debug tool logs something is swaying me to believe it is sensor related, will get more info posted soon
CPU and GPU temps arnt a problem

Just want to give a quick update, I think I've solved my problem, not had any signs of crashing today.

Will post more about things I have done to rectify this problem soon.

Okey I have given it a few days to see if any problems arise since the day I initially believe I solve my problem, just to be sure.

When a problem like this occurs everyone is usually quick of the mark to firstly blame the game developer S397 for reasons they don't understand, usually because the game crashes playing the title. Secondly they will blame nVidia and its drivers, thirdly they will point the finger at Oculus. Truth is guys its most likely your system configuration, to learn what is the actually problem you have to be good at diagnosing the problem yourself, a PC is a mish mash of many different parts and components, commonly built by ourselves and never rigorously tested by anyone else but ourselves.
I must admit I was quick to following the same paper trail, but I like solving problems and puzzles.
My first step was to try and find a way to monitor the crash, windows does this already through the "Event Viewer", type it in your win10 search box. Then look at administrative events. Windows collects any reports of problems or crashes , warnings or errors there, it is a very handy tool.
Try to locate the time of the event where VR crashed in my case it was "nvlddmkm has stopped working and successfully recovered", this was the point my oculus stopped working. What you have to do now its work your way back in time to see what else flagged up as error or warning that lead to the crashing of the driver. If you can't find anything of significance trust me thats a good thing and your system is doing well. Next step....
Oculus comes with the debug tool you may use this to Supersample the image quality but it also comes with Logs in the Service menu recording Rift use and communication, the latest session is at the bottom and where you will find more information what happened at the time nvlddmkm crashed. In my case again around the same time within seconds I could see my sensors where struggling or cutting out. Now I read about problems about a year ago with ASMedia USB Controllers which my mobo comes with and Oculus. Many people complained about problems, but because it was working I never thought that was the problem. If it wasn't for the oculus logs constantly reporting problems with sensors I would of never followed this up. Oculus recommend Inateck 3.0 USB Card so at £20 I thought I would give it a go to see if it solves the problem. Low and behold, oh my God I have got a brand new gaming system.
Not only did this solve my oculus crashing the nvidia driver it has brought so much USB bandwidth to my system, supplying more power to my sensors so they dont crash out but also realising that there was a USB bandwidth problem before hand. Now my system feels 30% faster atleast, on most tracks I am able to run all options in rFactor on full and ultra, its transformed my gaming experience, its like I got the next gen graphics card for only £20.
I run an MSI Z370 gaming carbon AC pro with the worst VR ready USB 3.0 ports known to human society, an 8700k intel proccy OC to 4.8ghz non turbo as in permenant and a GTX1080 MSI gaming X running at 2088mhz. The PCI USB card has made heaven and hell difference to my gaming, rock solid stability and atleast 30% more performance.
Bottom line message guys is dont be too quick to blame the game maker understand your PC is a custom unique bit of kit that S397 cant test all configurations, use your brain diagnose your own problem, ask questions.

Here is a demo of rFactor in full graphic detail ultra reflections ultra shadows ultra effects all on and a 40 car field and lots of fun in VR
this is also one of the tougher tracks to render.

Enjoy and I hope I tought you something, nothing like helpful free info and solutions.

Are you holding 90fps?

I've got an i7 7700k and msi 2080 and with everything basically on low, as 1.3 with 40 ai I struggle to hold 90fps.

I don't aim to hold 90fps you can clearly see at times there are little stutters. Before I race tracks I always test for any overly jerky situations, as long as it is smooth I'm happy I only really notice when its below 70fps.
I have ASW disabled, adaptive GPU performance scale off and pixel per display at 1.5.
My nVidia rFactor2 settings are:
everything application controlled
FXAA - off
Transparency - off
MFAA - off
Power Management - max perf
Shader Cache - on
Anisotropic Sample Opti - off
Negative LOD - allow
Quality - High Quality
Trilinear opti - off
threaded opti - off
triple buff - off
VR pre rendered frames = 1

I believe that any optimisation you add actually increases cpu work load to compute results in many case it can be detrimental. It can sometimes help when your on the limit of hardware, but modifying these settings when you reach the limit then dont expect miracles.

I highly recommend configuring your pc bios to allow for greater throughput, default is always set for safe sometimes applys more voltage than needed. Anything in bios that can help adds to smoother running such as...
Overclocking...
Increasing VRM switching frequency
Increasing the BUS speed
setting PCI to correct generation
aswell as disabling things that are of no use to you
like virtualisation
research your board settings and modify as needed.

If you watched the very end of the video you can see I had everything turned on Max Ultra

Are you holding 90fps?

I've got an i7 7700k and msi 2080 and with everything basically on low, as 1.3 with 40 ai I struggle to hold 90fps.
You should research your system see if there are any errors, as I did check for sensor drop outs, manufacturers boards are not the best for supplying power to connected devices. You would be amazed such as I was how it hurts performance