What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Upgrading my PC

Alessandro Puoti

Addicted Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking forward to giving some rest to my very old Amd Phenom II x4 955 but I don't really know which route is the best.
Is there anyone running the simulator smoothly on a i3 setup or should I not consider anything less powerful than a i5?

Thanks for your help

Hi guys, I'm looking forward to giving some rest to my very old Amd Phenom II x4 955 but I don't really know which route is the best.
Is there anyone running the simulator smoothly on a i3 setup or should I not consider anything less powerful than a i5?

Thanks for your help
Depends on what you want. I switched from a 9 year old i7 920 last month, which is as old as your AMD one but it was top of the line at the time. I personally went with an i7 7740X to get that top of the line again, so it'll last me 9 years again.

Last edited:
Well I don't need to look at the top of the line but I want something that is capable of running Rfactor2 (maybe also AC and iRacing) with no problems. I'm mainly afraid that with 2 physical cores the i3 could be not enough, especially if s397 is going to implement in the future.

As we know, rFactor 2 at the moment runs just with 2 cores/threads, so it is pretty much better to focus on clock speed either with cores count. So from here, there are 2 considerations to do, related on rF2:
1. New 8th gen intels CPUs will run this game worse in comparison than 7th gen, as 8th gen lowers a bit the clock speed to give more cores/threads which will be wasted (in case of top i5 unlocked, 7th is 3.8GHz with 4 cores, while 8th is 3.6GHz with 6 cores);
2. At same price, you will probably find i3 to have higher clock speed than i5 and i7, because the first use less cores and focus more on clock speed, while being cheaper. So for rF2, that might be a to-go option.

But a question while build a new PC, is: what will you run on it? Because if you go just for rF2, the above is true. But for ANYTHING ELSE, you will find yourself with an almost low-end CPU pretty soon, even if you get 8th gen i3 (quad cored now). This because many other games and softwares use way more cores than rF2, while needing lower clock speed. For example, I heard World of Warcraft can use up to 6 cores now if the CPU has them (although is unable to get efficently use of the hyperthreading). Assetto Corsa runs on 4 cores and with the new Competizione releasing soon, we still don't know if they will increase the possible core usage.

About GPU I think the minimum atm would be a GTX 1060 / 980, not even look for lower than this.

But a question while build a new PC, is: what will you run on it? Because if you go just for rF2, the above is true. But for ANYTHING ELSE, you will find yourself with an almost low-end CPU pretty soon, even if you get 8th gen i3 (quad cored now). This because many other games and softwares use way more cores than rF2, while needing lower clock speed. For example, I heard World of Warcraft can use up to 6 cores now if the CPU has them (although is unable to get efficently use of the hyperthreading). Assetto Corsa runs on 4 cores and with the new Competizione releasing soon, we still don't know if they will increase the possible core usage.

I think a 7th gen i5 should be the best compromise for my budget.

Also, consider the BIOS compatibility problem between CPU and MOBO. 8th gen wants 3xx series, while 7th gen wants 2xx series. You can't put a 8th gen on a Z270 or a 7th gen on a Z370. This alongside I think the 8th gen is compatible only with Windows 10, cannot install 7 or 8.1 with them (but never diggeg into it atm).

Why not a AMD Ryzen 1700x ?? mobo is much cheaper, i have a ryzen and i like it allot ;-) works perfect with RF 2 & OBS Stream ( cpu use arround 15% in stream )
If Ryzen 7, then wait for the new 2700X, cause more performance for similiar price ^^

I can only recommend Ryzen 7, OCing is not easy but performance is very good

If you wanto to go the I3 route, get the new I3 8350K and overclock that bad boy.
If you want to stick with AMD, wait till the new ryzen gen comes out, it will be out soon enough.

I have the Ryzen 1700,very happy with it,thinking to get the ryzen 2 wich will be out this month.
Half price of intel and same performance or even better.With this series Amd got it right and not spending loads of money on intel for nothing,just a few fps more wich human eye couldn't see actually.
I had intel for the last 10 years but last year switched to AMD and i am very happy with my choice.

I have the Ryzen 1700,very happy with it,thinking to get the ryzen 2 wich will be out this month.
Half price of intel and same performance or even better.With this series Amd got it right and not spending loads of money on intel for nothing,just a few fps more wich human eye couldn't see actually.
I had intel for the last 10 years but last year switched to AMD and i am very happy with my choice.

More than 60 fps cant be notice with a human eye, mine are locked 120fps with Z1 on screen 2. So my AMD 290 dont has for run at 100%.

What I did,
First, never AMD again for rf2 ( had a 6 core 1055t, said F... (Sorry i can't express myself in an adult way, so sometimes I use swearing - but luckily the forum corrects me) that shit)
GT970 along with with a used i7 4790k is a good option ( 20% usage plus you can stream and have a great gaming experience)
and a gaming mobo

My Ryzen 7 is performing excellent,never had an issue,got a great motherboard also.AS long will be like this i do not see any reason to go back to intel,just can't find not even one reason.

Today the new componets arrived and I've already started testing the whole thing... Finally I opted for a basic build with Ryzen 3 1300x 8gb ddr4 and A320, not really the best possible option but enough to play smoothly at 1080p (single monitor) not spending too much money.

So far so good with Rfactor2 and Assetto Corsa :)