What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Upgrade on a budget?

JT Tami

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Hi all. Looking at upgrading some of my pc because I currently run rF2 on low settings, and every so often my fps will drop down to under 30. Current specs are
Geforce GTX 650TI 4DDR5 2 GB
Corsair TX650 V2
ASRock 277 Extreme 4
Ripjaws 4 MB memory (2)
CoolerMaster V6 GT
Seagate 1 TB harddrive

Thats all I can think of right now. I am very much not a computer person (I used to race ERL on a laptop, as some of the older folk might remember), so most of the above info is useless to me. I hoping its not useless to you folks, and can offer affordable upgrade options. What above is still good to use, what needs to be replaced now?

Thanks

JT

It depends on what you define for "budget". Also you didn't mention the excact CPU you have, but it should be a ivy bridge/sandy bridge one (core 3xxx/2xxx series)

I'd wait until september-october, when nvidia releases the new gen of graphic cards. I did the mistake of buying a new 960 two years ago, just one or two months before the release of the 10xx series, and I did regret it.

The sweet spot right now are the RX580/GTX1060, but if you don't need right now a new GPU as already said by Borja you should wait the new ones in semptember/october.

BTW your CPU with a bit of OC would be still ok.

So overclocking my cpu and running my current gpu would be enough to run with decent settings until the fall?

The thing that Hermann said is true, you should see the current GPUs temperatures though...
If you'd like to upgrade your pc on a budget anyway these are some tips:
Firstable, due to the mining fact you won't be able to buy a GPU without overpaying it from the 1060s/580s, so i would go for the RX560, a bit less powerful than than the 1050TI, but a lot cheaper.
For the CPU i'll seize the opportunity to also change the MOBO and the RAM, for a valid upgrade you should go for the ryzen 5 1600, 6 cores with 3.2GHz each, its the non overclockable version but when you have already that much clock you shouldn't really worry about it.
For the MOBO take an ATX that is compatible with the cpu (socket AM4 B350), after you did choose the MOBO check the RAM compatible with that one, and the game is done...

EDIT: I did just realise that the GPU prices are really particular, i did base my opinions on the Italian amazon, but if you see in the US one for example, its better to buy a 1050ti instead of a rx560, due to the price difference is less than 30 euros.

Last edited:
I think its pointless to buy a new Ryzen with more cores as Luca suggests, your i5 3570K is as fast if not faster in single core, which is the most important thing in RF2. Overclock your CPU if you can. What you could do also is upgrade to 8GB of RAM, appart from the GPU which is your most obvious bottleneck

I think its pointless to buy a new Ryzen with more cores as Luca suggests, your i5 3570K is as fast if not faster in single core, which is the most important thing in RF2. Overclock your CPU if you can. What you could do also is upgrade to 8GB of RAM, appart from the GPU which is your most obvious bottleneck

The perfomance on Ryzen depends to much from memory speed/latency, with a good kit of Ram a Ryzen cpu should be decently fast on single thread performance, not "8700k single core performance" but at least as much as it would need to stay lightly above of an 3570k (plus ALL Ryzen CPU can be overclocked). Moreover if you don't want to do streaming while racing i would still suggest to stay on Intel for a CPU Upgrade.

BTW as already said by Borja, since you are on a budget it is pointless to upgrade the CPU, just buy a new GPU, the prices now are falling down near MSRP.

Last edited:
if you want something now and dont wanna spend too much money, you can only upgrade your GPU...
You can sell your GTX650ti and buy a GTX960 (maybe a used one)...
your CPU is fine, you can add 4more GB of RAM and you got PC for a few years assuming you are on a single monitor.
i know a used GPU is not the best, but it can give you more time to save money and buy a complete new one PC...