What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Talking setups

Nick Looijmans

Reaction score
I just had a look at the results of S4/R2 at Watkins Glen Stockcar, and I was highly discouraged. I did some testing at the same track for the SRCA Americas S1/R1 race, and with a slightly tweaked baseline setup I was 3 sec of the pace.

I've only been sim racing for 1 year, so I'm still learning when it comes to making setups. It's a steep learning curve, and there aren't many setups going around in the community.

Looking at the results, I notice that some people are in the same boat as me. The difference in top speed between the top drivers and mid-pick is almost 10km/h. I know that's not all due to differences in setup, but in this case I'm pretty sure a lot of it is.

I just want to have an open discussion. I'm not saying we should definitely have fixed setups. I just feel a bit discouraged even though I know that this series is more about being safe than it is about being competitive. If this series is meant for newcomers, maybe there is something we can do to help and level the playing field.

8 degree rear wing is the minimum you can set it to with the 370Z. I was also using that, for race and qualy. It simply offered the best laptime due higher top speed on a track that has no tight corner and practically all corners are also banked (so you can get away with less downforce). The Nascar layout of Watkins Glen is kind of a glorified oval. So not a very typical road circuit. But rear wing makes a really big difference in laptime at that place. With this car at least.

Season 3 and Race 1 (Palm Beach) I ran very high rear wing and was pretty competitive in lap time. I used 28 degree wing. But it was hopeless to try to overtake anyone.

Obviously you can't just change the rear wing alone. So for example when you lower rear wing angle you will get more oversteer the faster the car goes so you need to change the mechanical grip to have more understeer.

Setups are also partly driver preference. So there is no setup that is better than any other setup. But for example on a track like Watkins you can't be fast with high rear wing angle.

Here is my setup from Palm Beach:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/otvdwq64i6w50cq/TD_370Z_PalmBeach_R7x.svm?dl=0

Ignore the pit strategy in that file. I was still learning. Starting with full tank and only adding fuel at the pits is the fastest strategy always. Assuming it's a dry race. You also want to pay attention to relative tyre wear as that will change the balance a lot over the race. Not so much left vs. right wear, but front axle vs. rear axle wear.

I had low DF (8 for Qualifying) and my gearing was setup so that I could reach 255kph
If i use low df of 8 and up final gear...car still hit limiter at 244
So i try to move the other gears up with lower gears obviously being longer but...gear 5 is locked.

I can never get higher top speed than 244kph. Please help!anybody! Thanks

Adjust final ratio :) It's called "Final", near the bottom where you adjust individual gears
Hey Tero,
No, as I mentioned i did that.
Mr Hess helped me. He pointed out that you have to up final gear setting..then up gear 6.somehow this releases gear 5 for adjustment.before that..gear 5 was stuck in place and messed everything up.
Not sure why this weird thing happens but thanks for replying.