What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

SimHud Overlay - Track Map replacement

Shawn Jacobs

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Hi All

Over the past few months I've been working on developing an overlay to replace track map since the move to dx11.

After trying numerous different programs/apps, I stumbled across sim hub, this program blows all other huds I've used out of the water.

I'm pretty happy with the overlay I have got together now so I've decided its time to share.

2017-10-31-21_21_55-rfactor2-v1-1109-jpg.219578

What you will need:
Sim Hub - http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/simhub-diy-sim-racing-dash.10252/

Make a Donation

Rfactor 2 Must be run in windowed mode

VSYNC must be turned on (otherwise gears etc. will get choppy)

Once you have SimHud installed save the folder from this download into SimHud>Dashtemplates

Open SimHud and go to the Dash Studio tab
2017-10-31-21_23_04-desktop-png.219575

The Overlay will be called Overlay_triples, it is currently designed for triple screens, but anyone can resize the dash and the widgets and move them around as required.

To Run the dash - From this screen you can click on the picture and select Run>Windowed. This will bring it up in a black window, move it to the center of the screen, the 3 led round lights should line up with the inside edges of your middle screen.

Once you have it in place, move your mouse to the top right of the window and select the dotted circle. This will make the overlay transparent and click through.

To Edit the dash select edit from the dash studio

You can then move the different widgets around.

Resize them and make them invisible if you don't require all of the current ones.
2017-10-31-21_24_06-dash-studio-png.219576

You can change to whole size of the overlay window (If you a converting it for use on a single screen for example)
2017-10-31-21_25_38-dash-studio-png.219577

One know issue with running RF2 in windowed mode I have noticed is that the task bar will sometime appear, to resolve this I've set task bar to auto hide and have moved it to the left side of the screen.

Massive Shout out to @Wotever for creating this tool! and for the continued development!

This one is VEC specific and includes numbers and colour coding for different classes (based on the numbers in the car names)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef3cx0bvumzuif9/1_VEC_OVERLAY.zip?dl=0

Version without colouring and numbers
https://www.dropbox.com/s/66tq97pff8bgtos/Overlay_triples_v1.zip?dl=0

The leaderboard does seem a bit power hungry as it has a lot of javacode in it, so if it gives anyone issues please let me know and I'll upload a version with it removed.

Cheers.

Last edited:
WOW incredible thanks a lot :)
Does it work if rF is launched in borderless mode ?

Which version did you grab?

I removed some stuff to tidy it up before uploading so I may have taken too much.

Also by not working is it not there at all or just jumpy?

And yeah in borderless when I lasted tested it the HUD doesn't stay on top unfortunately, may have changed though.

Also I've been advised gsync should work as well as vsync to prevent the jumping.

@Shawn Jacobs
  • How much does one need to donate to unlock?
  • I got it work by starting the overlay first, then transparent, then fullscreen ... and it stayed on top :) > all that before rF2 exe deploy
  • With this overlay HTML doesn't work
  • Generally no resizing of the stuff, but ie. the Standings and RPMs are too big ...
  • I dont have the problem with the taskbar interestingly - as long as the overlay is open, the taskbar is hidden

@Shawn Jacobs
  • How much does one need to donate to unlock?
  • I got it work by starting the overlay first, then transparent, then fullscreen ... and it stayed on top :) > all that before rF2 exe deploy
  • With this overlay HTML doesn't work
  • Generally no resizing of the stuff, but ie. the Standings and RPMs are too big ...
  • I dont have the problem with the taskbar interestingly - as long as the overlay is open, the taskbar is hidden
Hi Jan

Your call on the donation, Wotever is happy with whatever people are willing to donate.

So you're not running in windowed mode? For me personally it doesn't seem to matter when I open it, I can be mid practice, pull over, windows key and open it up without issue, so interesting that you had to have it going beforehand.

Did you have a go at using the auto rescaling? Is that not working for you?

If there is particular items you want smaller let me know and by how much and I can resize if resize doesn't work for you.

And yeah I clicked the html box once and went yep, that doesn't work, didn't use again lol

Also I'm guessing you've only just downloaded the app?

If you have got an older version installed the resizing feature didn't use to work a few months back but has been fixed for a couple of weeks.

Did you have a go at using the auto rescaling? Is that not working for you?
I didn't see that option, tried to fiddel directly with the values ... thank you :)

What would be nice is to add RPM & Pitspeedlimiterindicator into the tacho. And I prefer the session timer/position in the other order as it then fits in with the leaderboard :) An optional fps counter would be nice aswell

I didn't see that option, tried to fiddel directly with the values ... thank you :)

What would be nice is to add RPM & Pitspeedlimiterindicator into the tacho. And I prefer the session timer/position in the other order as it then fits in with the leaderboard :) An optional fps counter would be nice aswell
hahaha typical sim racer, give an inch you want a mile :p

All easy changes, the tacho originally had rpm but I got rid of it as the rev bar suites me, can add something back in.

If you select edit widget on the session timer, those items can be moved around, I think it only has about 3 parts to it.

It's a bloody addictive program though once you delve into all the data it can pull.

I've requested opponent tyres since it seems to be in crew chief now and they use the same plug in to extract data, if I get that I will be stoked!

I don't think it will work in VR (haven't tested) but I assume VR is basically a form of full screen mode, would be cool if it does work though.
Yeah VR is a fullscreen mode since you move around with the viewpoint.

Really want to use VR, but teammates are all DX9 and trackmap, so monitor it is until DX11 gets mandated, or replacement to trackmap happens and they transitions to that :)

Yeah VR is a fullscreen mode since you move around with the viewpoint.

Really want to use VR, but teammates are all DX9 and trackmap, so monitor it is until DX11 gets mandated, or replacement to trackmap happens and they transitions to that :)
We switch between dx11 and dx9 drivers without issue, so I can't imagine it will give them grief.

But link them here anyways, maybe this will be a worthy replacement to track map for them :).

Actually it is really hard to go from 144hz and fps to 60hz and 60 fps but the Overlay is awesome but a Crash after 3 Hours dont know the issue have to check it the next Days.

@Shawn Jacobs Thanks :)