What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing.
Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Screen freezes, "slowmotion" bug and all the other shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzegorz Bulat

VEC Division 2
VLMS
SRC Season pass
Now the next step -- try this:
Try turn OFF FFB
-there will be no more freezes and stutters... - strange but work.

Martin Dyrlund

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
For all the owners of 1060, 1070 and 1080 graphic cards the solution i have come up with is to adjust the graphic settings so you can maintain atleast 120 FPS with a full field, turn off Max Framerate in the player.json file, and adjust accordingly.

Then in the Nvidia Control Panel use Fast in the Vertical Sync option and then run rF2 in Fullscreen mode. It does not result in input lag like the normal Vsync. It is important the Max Framerate is still turned off, that means a value of 0.

Jeremy Talbot

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
I used to have a little screen freeze or two during a race nearly every time, I've since turned off both crew chief and simhub and for the last 3 races I've done I've been stutter free. Fingers crossed that it's not just a fluke. Maybe try this if you are running them and see if it works for you?

Ryan Walker

VEC Division 3
VEC Season Pass
So I thought I had got rid of the screen freeze issues but they have returned. Tried a clean install, messing around with graphic settings and running in full screen and window mode but still get them.

Highly frustrating and don't want to be in a race and get one incase I take someone out by accident.

Specs:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
i5 4570 (3.20 GHZ)
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1

Last edited:

Martin Dyrlund

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
So I thought I had got rid of the screen freeze issues but they have returned. Tried a clean install, messing around with graphic settings and running in full screen and window mode but still get them.

Highly frustrating and don't want to be in a race and get one incase I take someone out by accident.

Specs:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
i5 4570 (3.20 GHZ)
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1
Check in your Nvidia control panel if you can set vertical sync to fast. And then follow my instructions from above.

Daniel Monteiro

VEC Division 3
VLMS
SRC Season pass
Something strange happened yesterday when I tried your settings recommendation, @Martin Dyrlund: My FPS in game were stable/locked at 120. I also had a strange feeling at some point, like a lag, I think I was somehow losing frames, I could notice it.

Then I tried to use Windowed instead, and then tried without the Fast Sync, and then I had my "free" FPS again. I am running a 970 though, and I am happy without any type of sync and with windowed mode - smooth and no issues.

William Geuze

VEC Division 2
VEC Season Pass
That is what Vsync does for you Daniel, sync the FPS to a stable 60 or 120 FPS, with the disadvantage of added input lag.

What I do is to set a max_fps in my player.JSON to be 1 less than my refreshrate, so I have a max_fps=59 line in there, which gives me a steady 60 fps
without tearing or stuttering.

Although, my pc is becoming a relic of ages past, so don't know how long I can keep it going :p

Martin Dyrlund

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
I tried every possible combination and Fast Sync without Max Framerate resulted in best performance for me. It might have something to do with 1060, 1070 and 1080 graphic cards, who knows...

Enzo Fazzi

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
Something strange happened yesterday when I tried your settings recommendation, @Martin Dyrlund: My FPS in game were stable/locked at 120. I also had a strange feeling at some point, like a lag, I think I was somehow losing frames, I could notice it.

Then I tried to use Windowed instead, and then tried without the Fast Sync, and then I had my "free" FPS again. I am running a 970 though, and I am happy without any type of sync and with windowed mode - smooth and no issues.
You will always get vsync when running windowed or borderless. Anything newer than Windows 8 will always apply triple buffering to programs run in windowed or borderless.

Daniel Monteiro

VEC Division 3
VLMS
SRC Season pass
You will always get vsync when running windowed or borderless. Anything newer than Windows 8 will always apply triple buffering to programs run in windowed or borderless.
Even when the FPS display shows 200+ FPS? I am on Windows 7 by the way.

EDIT: in case you missed it, I had the locked 120 FPS when running fullscreen, and the "free" 200+ FPS when running windowed.

Enzo Fazzi

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
Even when the FPS display shows 200+ FPS? I am on Windows 7 by the way.

EDIT: in case you missed it, I had the locked 120 FPS when running fullscreen, and the "free" 200+ FPS when running windowed.
I was also getting more than 60 fps in windowed, but yeah, if you're on Windows 7, it should be fine.

David Nichols

VEC Division 3
SRC Season pass
I had an issue with slowering (is that a word?) of the frame rate and it was related to anti-aliasing. With it on at any setting I would get these slow downs from time to time. WIth it off I have no problems.

Matheus Machado

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
I had an issue with slowering (is that a word?) of the frame rate and it was related to anti-aliasing. With it on at any setting I would get these slow downs from time to time. WIth it off I have no problems.
Turned off AA since suzuka as well and didn't get a single freeze or slowdown. Only when I was following a car on the straight and it teleported, shortly after I had a freeze together with a lmp2 ahead.

Ryan Walker

VEC Division 3
VEC Season Pass
I set my max frame rate to 60 FPS in my player file and set Vsync to adaptive in my graphics control panel and seems to have sorted it so far. Only disadvantage is input lag but if it stops the screen freezes then I'm happy to race with it.

Carsten Wilhelm

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
Not having any problems with screen freezes etc. but I switched to DX11 recently and fooled around with some settings and found that the only way for me to get AA is to set it to level 5 in the video settings menu of rF2 (anything lower than 5 switches it off completely). Anything I set up in AMD settings just won't catch ingame, no matter if fullscreen or windowed. Anyone else experiencing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.