What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing.
Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Screen freezes, "slowmotion" bug and all the other shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardo Costa

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
Hi,
Since I started playing rF2 for the first time back in February/March I always had this "slowmotion" problem going on from time to time. It would last for like 1 or 2 seconds and it was impossible to guess when it could happen next, completely random.
Fortunately it never made me going into another car or a wall during a race.
So I started practicing at Fuji and I had this big screenfreeze for the first time ever which led me going into the wall and destroying the car. I had enough of it. I had to solve this problem once and for all.

I was using Windows 10 (64bit) and several plugins:
  • The Standard ones from rF2 (steam, etc.)
  • Delta Plugin
  • Trackmap Plugin

My team mates suggested me to change the OS back to Windows 7, which they already were using and reporting me they didn't have a single problem ever since. No "slowmotions" nor screenfreezes, nothing.

So I went for it. I installed Windows 7 (64bit) and disabled every single plugin in the sim and went for the Fuji race.
It ran flawlessly. (Well, almost. I had some inexplicable drop of fps comparing to practice sessions I was in. In practice I was getting 200+fps almost everywhere on the track, rarely going below 200fps. In the race it was fluctuating a lot more, between 180/190 and 120/130 fps. Maybe because of the all the cars on track, I don't know.)

My next test now for Istanbul during this practice days will be installing the delta plugin and trackmap and see if it will hold stable as it is right now.

My system is:
CPU: i7 4790k (stock speed - 4.4Ghz)
Mem: 2x8gb DDR3 at 1866mhz.
GPU: GTX770
Single screen: 1680x1050@120hz.

I don't know if this is a repost, if it old news or not. Just wanted to give you my feedback from my personal experience. Hope it helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention I always used the DX9 builds.

Last edited:

Peter Schulze

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
Have you disabled or uninstalled the Xboxdvr in windows10? It's known to cause issues in games.

Martin Dyrlund

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
I recommend atleast 180 fps in race, adjust your gfx settings accordingly. Also get rid of trackmap plugin + deltabest. Use vhud instead, much simpler and trackmap can cause freezes. You would know that by following this forum.

Sido Weijer

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
Has anyone had screenfreezes in borderless mode in DX9?

I've always ran in fullscreen mode and usually had a couple of freezes during races. For the race at Fuji I tried borderless for the first time and haven't had any issues. Could be a coincidence ofcourse.

Eric Wesstrom

VLMS
VLMS Season Pass
I haven't had any issues at all in DX9, run borderless because I love to alt tab during testing.... This is in W10, and with trackmap(I know, I know). No idea if xboxdvr is active.

Run at around 300-250 fps to have a buffer just incase the game craps itself during nighttime or whatever.

Only issue I've had is with VR in dx11, but I suspect that the problem was the headset and not the game...

Usually have issues with most games, but Rf2 seems to be spared, knock on wood.

Jan Studenski

VEC Division 4
VLMS
SRC Season pass
Has anyone had screenfreezes in borderless mode in DX9?

I've always ran in fullscreen mode and usually had a couple of freezes during races. For the race at Fuji I tried borderless for the first time and haven't had any issues. Could be a coincidence ofcourse.
Same here

Manuel Marsili

VEC Division 3
SRC Season pass
Only freeze here this time was on the first request pit, happening from a couple of weeks now. Successive requests doesn't trigger the freeze.

Eric Stranne

VEC Division 2
VLMS
SRC Season pass
I have not had any freezes or any significant slowdown with only rF2 + TS running. I have had some with Chrome running in the background but that's probably due to just running out of RAM. I run DX9 in borderless and everything on basically lowest graphics + trackmap.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 3.5 GHz
GPU: MSI R9 280X 3GB Gaming
MB: Asus M5A97 R2.0
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 CL9 1600MHz
Windows: 8.1 64GB

Sergio Azevedo

VEC Division 3
VEC Season Pass
once that Ricardo, brought this issue to the forum... i need some guys help please.
In Fuji, i ran rf2 with DX11 without any issue (had a borrowed setup with i5 4590 and a H81 Mobo)

Last week i got the RMA response, and needed to buy a new MoBo. So my setup is:
Win10
i7 4790k 4.4Ghz
Asus B85 ProGamer
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
16 Gb Ram GSkill
Samsung SSD 250gb

So, clean install from Win10, some bunch of drivers etc, and installation of rf2 dx11.
I've went to track, and started to get some stuttering, screen freezes, and even experienced 2-5sec freeze once or twice.
Running the "Ctrl+F" feature i had an 120FPS Average.

Experienced that with some kerbs rubbing, the problems appears faster.
I mean, obviously is not an GPU problem, it seems like its physics (CPU) problem.
Does anyone experienced something like this?

Should i "re-install" again rf2 from scratch? Any advice?

PS: reverted to DX9, and 0 screen freezes.

Thomas Jacobs

VEC Division 2
VEC Season Pass
I've had the same experience with DX11.
Dx9 works great for me even with Track Map plugin running, only get 1 to 2 freezes over three hours, then occasionally get a big slow down for a few seconds towards the end of a stint. DX11 on the other hand seems to stutter a lot more, even after removing track map, resetting CBash/Shaders + player.json, etc. I don't see why CPU would cause it as that should just be used for the physics and FFB, which I believe doesn't change between DX9 and DX11.

Will post my PC Specs, can link any other files if required.

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING (MS-7693)
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I assume these issues are only happening in rFactor 2?
Does it happen in all builds?
As far as I remember I've had atleast 1 screenfreeze every race since I joined vec last year. (suzuka was my first race)

Have to say thou that I did a rf1 endurance league (racersleague endurance championship) couple years ago and had screenfreezes even there. So that's not really new issue. :D:whistle: :whitles: :whistling:

Ricardo Costa

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
Never ever had such issues in any other racing sim or other game like I had with rFactor 2. Not sure about other builds though.

And as an update; I've had 0 problems since I installed Win 7. It has been running butter smooth, really glad I've done this "downgrade".
I'm also using the delta best plugin and the v-hud plugin, no problems currently.

A side note: It still has the (VERY) annoying problem when you minimize or ALT+TAB you can't go back to the sim, it always crashes. (Always - I mean 100% of the time!)
rFactor 2 is so weird.

Greg Hall

VEC Division 2
VLMS
SRC Season pass
A side note: It still has the (VERY) annoying problem when you minimize or ALT+TAB you can't go back to the sim, it always crashes. (Always - I mean 100% of the time!)
rFactor 2 is so weird.
Try Borderless Windowed, if you haven’t already.

Ricardo Costa

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
Try Borderless Windowed, if you haven’t already.
Thanks for the advice. I already tried it mate, but I've read/been told it adds input lag and reduces fps so I decided to leave it in fullscreen.
I admit, I never tested it properly, I will in the next couple of days. :thumbsup: (y)

Sergio Azevedo

VEC Division 3
VEC Season Pass
Indeed Jimmi, only in rFactor2!
I've played iRacing last night and no freezes.
Now i am installing a new and fresh installation (lyrics redundance ... hahah) of rFactor2... i will see if its ok with DX11!

Shawn Jacobs

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
Out of curiosity has there been a comparison between SSD vs HDD and screen freezes, I recently switched to ssd for rf2 and the other night did get a couple of screen freezes when others had a server disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.