What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

S15 - Race 1 - Sebring

If I am not wrong there could be also an issue related to CPU and the game. Maybe not similar, but check this:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/365960/discussions/0/154642901283110616/

"sc4dr1
iconGames.png
14 Dec, 2016 @ 3:28am
atleast in AC everything slows down, not just your car."

@Stefan Kanitz, thanks! Yeah I thought so too :p, but I can imagine there were a few times the 370-drivers were not 100% happy with me trying to pass between turn 2-4.
The first stint was fun, what happened to you after the pitstop? Your stop was a lot shorter than mine, and you made a second pitstop later on, was that on purpose or did you not take any fuel the first time?

Last edited:
@Lennart Lippens Did my stop at the half distance mark and undercutted you. Was driving on 4th after the stops took place. Right in front of @Lukas Hausen and you. Unfortunately I had 3 laps less fuel on board. So I had to stop again. Couldn't prepare for this race. Just did 20 laps in practice and that's it. But from that point of view it wasn't bad. But I definitely had a lot of fun with you and Lukas in the Stints. Close and fair racing. Touches happened but that's probably the advantage of an GT car. Due to my less preparation I could try different styles in the race. It's really interesting how the tyres and times are go down if you push to much.

- Overtaking the 370z's went well almost every time. I had a few occasions where the 370z-driver followed the race-line on a winding full-throttle part (i.e. the section past the hairpin), and therefore went from right to left, where I expected him to stay on the right so I could pass easily without any hindrance to both. I then had to lift an make a switchback. I know the slower car an follow the raceline, but on some occasions it's safer for both to stay in the same lane, until the faster car has passed, well before the braking-zone. Can anyone comment on what is best in such situation?
- A different situation is when the faster car reaches the slower can prior to a section with multiple following corners (i.e. Sebring turn 2-3-4). Does the faster car has to wait till after turn 4 (beginning straight leading to the hairpin), or can he try and overtake between 2-4. If the faster car has to wait a few corners, it loses a lot of time, but on the other hand, if the faster car tries to overtake the slower car in this section, the slower car has to give space and therefore lose time. What is best in such situation?

my opinion as a VEC GT driver:
I would even go further and say it's mandatory that the GT car (or slower class) adapts it's line in some occasions. Saying "the GT car should stay on the racing line" mainly means that the GT car shouldn't go incredibly slow but just keep racing and the prototype will find a way around (unless he is called @Jake Hall, small joke there :p). And it's also important that the GT doesn't do any random and erratic line changes that the prototype can't predict.
Of course under braking it's especially important that no one ever changes their line because the driver behind most likely can't react to that.
At the exit of a corner it is also very important that the GT stays on the outside of the track. Some corners like turns 5, 13 and 17 you usually leave the corner on the outside but then you want to cross the track to the other side to have the right racing line for the next corner.
If there is traffic behind you you should stay on the outside and wait for it to pass and not just cut across the track to take the right raicng line.

If I leave such a corner in a GT in VEC I always watch my mirror. If the traffic behind me is far enough behind that I can switch to the other side of the track and he has enough time to react to me then I do it. If he is very close I stay on the outside, wait for him to pass and then switch.
If there is a line of cars behind me I carefully drive closer to the middle of the track, indicating that I want to go to the other side. When I am in the middle of the track I basically leave the decision to the prototype. It doesn't matter what he does, we won't crash. Usually the prototype is quite happy to take the inside line for the next corner because that will cost both of us less time.

Now for your second point: Of course the faster car can try to overtake but if you just divebomb the slower car that driver will be quite unhappy with you and he might not open the door for you next time you try it. In my opinion it is safer and more intelligent to wait in that part.
I have seen even VEC drivers divebombing and causing accidents in this corner and some even that tried to go around the outside. Obviously divebombing is dangerouse and it's not worth to lose the race for half a second of time difference.
Going around the outside is basically never worth it either (there are some exceptions). I always try to give the prototype the inside line because that makes us both lose the least amount of time. Sometimes the prototypes really want to go around the outside though and that always ends up with a really awkward corner where the prototype can't drive because I'm on the apex and I can't drive because he is on the outside and we end up losing 1.5 sec.
How much time is the slower car realistically going to cost you? The time differnce is about 15 sec per lap. In 17 corners that's less than a second per corner.
So if you stay behind that slower car for one more corner you lose 1 sec. If you overtake it by just putting your nose on his inside you might lose the race and if you overtake around the outside you lose 1.5 sec. What do you do? (hint: I would choose case 1 ;) )
Sometimes the faster class really only needs half a sec of patience until the better line is free and then he will lose less time. That's what makes the difference between bad traffic management and good traffic management.

Last race in Fuji in the penultimate corner lots of prototypes tried to go around the outside. If they had waited 3 tenth and lifted for a moment they could have gone through on the inside as soon as I had positioned my car on the outside for this corner.
But many (not all) rather went around the outside and went through that corner side by side with me so we both lost 2 sec. That is not worth it.

Just my humble experience as a GT driver in VEC.

@Florian Koetz: thanks, that is really helpful!
Most 'GT'-drivers stayed on the outside after corner-exit of 5, 13, 16, 17, but some came across right in front of me, which indeed felt to me as a surprise.
At the exit of 7, going around them on the left felt as the right thing to do.

As 'prototype'-driver I went across the outside in the last corner half the time, which was fine for corner-entry, but it came close a few times at corner exit, because I was still alongside them and they couldn't get their optimal corner-exit. Choosing the inside for corner-entry is not really an option there, so I had to wait till past the apex, and then take the inside at corner-exit.
I tried to race with a 'endurance' mindset, but I also noted I was tempted to take more risk with the slower-class when a competing car was close behind me.:confused:

3,4,10,15 and 16 are really bad corners to overtake a slower car. In my opinion slowers cars need to do a optimal race line in that corners, if they can't do, they have no chance to made the corners.

370z are really lazy, and can't react to a car overtaking at that point. U have a clear rule in the rules section, u can manage a overtake if u are with your 2 front wheel at the same level of the rear ones the car u want to overtake, so if u are with a really faster car, that should be mandatory. In that kind of cornes, 370z in this case really don't need to brake hard, so you should not pass them, because you have no time to approximate safety in the brake zone. Slowers can't see you because they are trying to make their line....so....it usually ends in a damage.

PD: Still need the replay file guys, I'm sorry but I need to watch the replay today. Upload the replay takes 1 min.

PD: Still need the replay file guys, I'm sorry but I need to watch the replay today. Upload the replay takes 1 min.

Indeed it only takes 1 min which is why it's already uploaded
Opening your eyes takes even less time btw

On the opposite, being polite takes a bit of an effort but you would be surprised how friendly people behave when you are.

I had a very enjoyable race Especially the batlle with @Daniel Monteiro I then made a mistake trying to react to a pitstop from daniel but he hadn't stopped yet so I took an unnessecary pitstop Then i took some dumb penaltys so my fights were over, still very happy with my result eventhought I had a little accident with I think @Josh Ahern ,Him spinning across the front of me. Thank you for organizing a great race!

Indeed it only takes 1 min which is why it's already uploaded
Opening your eyes takes even less time btw

On the opposite, being polite takes a bit of an effort but you would be surprised how friendly people behave when you are.
I´m so sorry florian, I Quest for it yesterday but nobody told me where to find it. Now I checked the private forum and saw it. Apologies, I never try to be rude.

@Stefan Kanitz we had a little touch in the last lap, i hadn't tires, i came drifting out the last corner and i tried to leave the least space possible between me and the 350z. i dont know if that was complety clear or not... i didnt see the replay. Sorry and we see in the next race.

@Rick Hendrix, I was at fault there. I thought my car was smaller than it actually was and that's why I cut across earlier than I should have. This was my first ever league race and my inexperience definitely showed.