What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing.
Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Round 3 - Sebring

Sando Donadel

VLMS
VLMS Season Pass
A small report of an exciting experience.
Saturday I did my first endurance race.
The race was started by Alessio Ricci with 38 of fever drove for two hours, starting the penultimate and bringing the car in ninth position (if i'm in right), serving also 1 minute 30 second penalty inherited from the previous race.
Thanks to Bernd for having chatted with me, allowing us to also serve the last 30 second penalty.
Then, after 2 hours, it was my turn. The driver change was a thrill, I was afraid of making mistakes all over everything went for the best.
I joined the track and my only thought was to do no harm, bring the car saves the next change and not compromise the race.
Unfortunately I had a few good laps at that point of the race was a continuous succession of blue flags with very aggressive LMP2, I had an eye that looked ahead, one that looked back.
After an hour of racing comes time the pit stop and fluke snaps a CODE-80, so I decide to also change tires in addition to refueling.
As soon as I go out of my pit stop the CODE-80 it is revoked, perfect! Lucky guy!
After I tried to continue alone in my aim, however, at some point a LMP2 not trusted me, I left space twice and the second time he has been very slow to join me.
To watch her I pinched the curb and then I went to lean on the tires losing the hood and remedying the steering wheel wrong.
Missing 15 minutes at the end of my shift, I warned Ivan (at the first race like me) and we anticipated the driver change, unfortunately with a pit stop of three minutes.
Ivan took the lead and managed to bring the car in 9 final position, thanks to a good strategy on pit stops.
What to say?
Exciting! In the end I had to take the wheel at 19, I was connected to the pc from 14.30 to 23.30. Also on Teamspeak and the livetiming lit to help the other guys, as they have done with me.
Congratulations to all, and especially to the organizers of this championship.
See you the next.

Luke Walsh

SR.C License 4
SRC Season pass
Not that vec should be discussed here but there's more too it than being fast, and "should have won" races since the 2 races are different no matter how much people will look on how many laps the 2 rooms have done.
Trust me, attitude when making an error, attitude on track, safety ratings, incident reports - a lot have been taken into consideration.
I think we'd all agree with this as we usually win races from consistency and staying out of trouble, however you were the one who said to me directly we're not in server 1 because we're 'slow' :D:rolleyes:

I think we'd all agree with this as we usually win races from consistency and staying out of trouble, however you were the one who said to me directly we're not in server 1 because we're 'slow' :D:rolleyes:
Again more too it than being slow/fast/consistent and having the right attitude. But again not the thread or forum. I made the decission and i still believe its the right one, even though its and awefull decission ;)

Niki Djakovic

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
Luke, you guys are doing a good job at SimTech. We have to fix our hardware at Team Vires to challenge you.

I'd like to post the following, since I'm not convinced everyone is 100% clear on this.

15.2 The procedure begins when the Race Director announces "CODE 80 IN 10 SECONDS - NO OVERTAKING" on Teamspeak. No overtaking is permitted regardless of the speed of cars around you.
15.2.1 Passing damaged or not moving car(s) on track is allowed.

From the above rules quote, it is implied that "no overtaking" is in effect immediately, therefore, no overtaking during the countdown either (except for stationary or damaged cars). Also, I would imagine this applies to passing regardless of class and regardless of the potential pass being for position or lapping.

It may be that I'm misinterpreting the rule, or at least some people are, because I saw at least one instance of a car passing during the countdown.

I'd like to post the following, since I'm not convinced everyone is 100% clear on this.

15.2 The procedure begins when the Race Director announces "CODE 80 IN 10 SECONDS - NO OVERTAKING" on Teamspeak. No overtaking is permitted regardless of the speed of cars around you.

From the above rules quote, it is implied that "no overtaking" is in effect immediately, therefore, no overtaking during the countdown either (except for stationary or damaged cars). Also, I would imagine this applies to passing regardless of class and regardless of the potential pass being for position or lapping.

It may be that I'm misinterpreting the rule, or at least some people are, because I saw at least one instance of a car passing during the countdown.
That is correct. No overtaking regardless of class except damaged or off track cars

Povilas Miciunas

VEC Division 2
VEC Season Pass
I'm not driving in this series (obviously), however I wanted to add my 2 cents regarding the code 80 thing.

I've had a couple of instances where message "Code 80 in 10 seconds" didn't go through for whatever reason. I only heard the countdown. However I can't remember having any issue with slowing down in time. Except that one time I was close to being taken out during one. I'm the prototype btw. I only heard the countdown in this instance as well. My guess is the Corvette didn't hear it at all.

Back to my point. How many different situations are called with a countdown? "Headlights required in 10 seconds". "Rain will start in 10 seconds". "Track configuration will change in 10 seconds". "#245 will crash in 10 seconds". They all sound ridiculous, don't they? There is only one situation the countdown is being called. And honestly, car slows down from any speed to 80 in roughly 2 seconds. So even if you do hear only the countdown, you still have about 3 seconds to react. Which is about a year (give or take) in motorsports.

Tony Mella

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
Terrible race for us
Had huge freezes in qualy, making the car undrivable and even if i managed to do a lap in these condisitons, i was slower by 8 seconds. Changed my graphics quickly, but then i only had time to make 1 true lap, with cold tyres. Well, didn't matter as we had 3 penalties.

As for the race, my run was good so far, even though some P2 kinda struggle to respect blue flags... Managed to get back into top 10, or even maybe higher as it wasn't clear with code 80s and different strategies from others. But then i gave the whell to the second driver and it all went wrong, not sure of what happened, if it is our driver's fault, or the GTs... i don't know. Trash race for us, still. But we had a realy good pace and our setup was more than correct so it's not all negative i guess.

Luke Walsh

SR.C License 4
SRC Season pass
Luke, you guys are doing a good job at SimTech. We have to fix our hardware at Team Vires to challenge you.
We all know you boys would be leading the charge were it not for your issues but we've no quarrles with picking up your points for you ;)
Hoping to get some wheel to wheel racing with you guys before the end of the season! Great driving regardless of your finishing positions :D

Shawn Jacobs

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
Thing is, whenever there is a new suggestions, this usually makes a manual process. If i remember i wouldnt mind, but i might forget about this.
But it sounds like a reasonable suggestion. But not over a week ;)

Perhaps do a one hour test session where everyone can do laps somehow.
You were definitely right, over a week would be far too long, track has heaps of rubber down already!

In VEC every single car slows down to 80km/h exactly on point. Slowing down way to early is if anything just dangerous, we have seen several instances this season where people have picked up others during the code 80 start. Besides, the fact that we are fighting for every damn second during a race of 8h or 12h or whatever I am not willing to give 10 or more sec up in those countdown phases just bc there is a guy infront of me which either can not deal with the countdown or is creeping with a damaged car or at least with the same speed as what seems to be a damaged car.
It is simply lost time I will never get back and considering that we are practicing our arses of to gain a sec or two where possible during a whole stint or double stint loosing this amount of time is as mentioned above in a race a "year" you never can gain back.
Obviously overtaking in "racing" terms nobody will do during the countdown, this is the situation this rule was ment for I believe, and if sombody slows down a second earlier than needed it is not a big deal either but 10 secs is ways to much.

In VEC every single car slows down to 80km/h exactly on point. Slowing down way to early is if anything just dangerous, we have seen several instances this season where people have picked up others during the code 80 start. Besides, the fact that we are fighting for every damn second during a race of 8h or 12h or whatever I am not willing to give 10 or more sec up in those countdown phases just bc there is a guy infront of me which either can not deal with the countdown or is creeping with a damaged car or at least with the same speed as what seems to be a damaged car.
It is simply lost time I will never get back and considering that we are practicing our arses of to gain a sec or two where possible during a whole stint or double stint loosing this amount of time is as mentioned above in a race a "year" you never can gain back.
Obviously overtaking in "racing" terms nobody will do during the countdown, this is the situation this rule was ment for I believe, and if sombody slows down a second earlier than needed it is not a big deal either but 10 secs is ways to much.
Thank you for your input Miroslav, and I share your sentiments around working hard, and being annoyed at loosing easy or silly time due to differing skill levels of drivers wholeheartedly. I do however think that it's dangerous to justify bending the rules so as to fit a philosophy, simply because it creates misunderstanding and unfairness. For example, I tried to follow this rule, and had to annoyingly brake early (and fairly hard) not to pass a car that slowed down earlier than I would have. In the process, I lost a position because the next guy had your thinking, or had a different interpretation of this rule.

I've had my share of transgressions, and I'm working hard to install responsibility in my driving. Would just be nice to remove some risk by having consensus around a rule.

Tony Mella

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
Don't forget that without this countdown, we would hear something like "CODE 80 APPLIED", and it would force us to brake all of a sudden which is even more dangerous.
If the guy in front slow earlier than you during the countdown, then it's pretty much the same as having a GT in front in the worst place possible. That sucks but it can happen to anyone

Thank you for your input Miroslav, and I share your sentiments around working hard, and being annoyed at loosing easy or silly time due to differing skill levels of drivers wholeheartedly. I do however think that it's dangerous to justify bending the rules so as to fit a philosophy, simply because it creates misunderstanding and unfairness. For example, I tried to follow this rule, and had to annoyingly brake early (and fairly hard) not to pass a car that slowed down earlier than I would have. In the process, I lost a position because the next guy had your thinking, or had a different interpretation of this rule.

I've had my share of transgressions, and I'm working hard to install responsibility in my driving. Would just be nice to remove some risk by having consensus around a rule.
There is consensus around the rule.

When you hear CODE 80 IN 10 SECONDS - NO OVERTAKING, you are to ease off and slow down, no need to slam your brakes and trust me you wont win or loose the race by being cautious, well if you are not you can loose out a lot and get a penalty...
When we count down from 5 and reach to CODE 80 ENFORCED if you are not at 80 km/h you will be penalized HARD, we dont joke around with this and want it to be as fair as possible. Will some lose a couple of seconds if a P2 catches a GT, yes because you are not allowed to overtake.

If you jeopardize yours, your team and other drivers races by not following the rules, which i get a hint that Miro mentioned, then you better stand up and be prepared to get a hefty SR drop and also get a penalty.

This is not even up for discussion, we will not change the code 80 - but incase you think loosing seconds is the worste thing that can happen, then trust me you dont want us to use the safety car.

This unpatience is why so many cars are in the pitlane for 300 and more seconds to repair damage.
Whilst I agree with your statment here what I said has to be seen within context. Basically it is racing and we are fighting for seconds but still with brain and common sense. What I ment was related to the code 80 discussion. I believe the question here was if overtaking is permitted during the countdown phase bc some people obviously slowed down as soon the countdown was announced which is dangerous and unusual. But every situation is different so in those situation racing awareness is crucial.

I understand the procedure might be newish for some people and they try to do their best and nothing wrong so in that sense the disscussion is helpful and the more imput and POV's the better.

Tobias Lange

VEC Division 3
VEC Season Pass
But I trust the stewards, that they know the difference between an avoidable overtaking, because somebody want to gain an advantage and an unavoidable overtaking, if e.g somebody slam the brake to early or driving in another dangerous way (also see rule 15.3). Yes, you could add to rule 15.2, that you can overtake if its not avoidable, but why making a clear rule unclear? Another wrong thing would be to say, that overtaking is allowed during the first 5 seconds/ or the complete countdown, because this will generate even more chaos, because then everybody will try the last overtaking, before it'll be forbidden. So I think the rules are not the problem.