What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Round 2 - Road Atlanta

Thomas Hinss

VEC Division 2
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
Well certainly one of the more chaotic races I've done here, though with such difficult conditions it's hardly surprising.

With David putting in a very solid start to the race for the #111 EVA car I took over just after halfway. Kept wets on and had to try and adjust to the conditions as quickly as possible. Took a few laps to start to feel somewhat in the groove but was starting to get comfortable with things when I had a touch with a GT through the final corner, causing me to go off and have a 540 second repair job to do. Particularly annoyed with the incident as it was quite a derpy one from me, not the sort of misjudgement I think I would usually make, though being early in the stint I suspect I was still getting myself sorted and used to the speeds of the cars in the conditions. No excuse for such a costly mistake though.

Either way I got the car repaired and then headed back out onto the track a fair way off the guys ahead. Just put my head down and got on with the job, my pace improving as I got more and more used to the conditions. By the last hour I was feeling quite comfortable and seemed to be slowly making ground on the cars ahead. A few incidents from others put us up to 8th and within reach of 7th or even potentially 6th in the dying minutes of the race. Then through the first sector I got the lines wrong and got pinged with a stop and hold penalty despite losing time rather than gaining from the off track moments.

Frustrated with myself I pushed on, planning to serve it after a few laps. Then through the first corner I was going to pass a P2 when contact occurred as they came across and slowed in front of where I was heading. I assume they either lost sight of where I was or weren't sure where I was going, even though I thought I quite clearly went to the right to pass up the inside out of turn one. When being lapped in that circumstance I think holding your line is the best course of action, let them pass you rather than trying to change line and causing more risk of contact happening.

Either way the contact caused a fair bit of damage, the front end coming off and the steering bent. As there was only three or four minutes to go in the race we decided to push on with the damage after I served the stop and hold, especially as we had a lap in hand on the next car. Brought it home 9th, a decent though frustrating result as if I hadn't have made such a derpy little error early on in my stint we could have possibly been among the top 5. Big kudos to @David Jundt for his fantastic efforts in the first half of the race, I can only apologise to the team for letting a even better result slip from our grasp.

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the issue with invisible cars was caused by the lack of pit garages so when cars DNFed they spawned in the pit lane in pit boxes. It shouldn't be an issue at the other tracks on the calendar but it is definitely something to take into account for future events.
There was not a lack of pit or garage spots. Unless we had more than one car from each entry that took away any pitspot.
Room for 40 and we had 38 - so that was not the problem.

However i´ll have a look in the replay and cross reference it with the results/incident log - i might be able to find something. Though i highly doubt it.

Adam Taylor

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
There was not a lack of pit or garage spots. Unless we had more than one car from each entry that took away any pitspot.
Room for 40 and we had 38 - so that was not the problem.

However i´ll have a look in the replay and cross reference it with the results/incident log - i might be able to find something. Though i highly doubt it.
Sorry, what I mean is that there are no garages(no pit building) in the pit lane so cars spawn in pit boxes.

Tomas Beha

VLMS
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
Yeah that might be it, in case of very unfortunate timing. We had the garage spots moved into the paddock area in our S8 pre-season version, but this version offered a few other things - in the wet darkness the old track may have been better, because it had seperate white line objects from the RealRoad.

Looking forward to Mario Morais' new Road Atlanta, LIDAR point cloud based (y)

Luke Walsh

SR.C License 4
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
To say I'm pissed off right now is a massive understatement.

I was never expecting a good qualifying result after Montreal and just hoped for a clean start and to stay out of trouble as per R1. However that was dropped on its head when the game screwed me over before the race had even begun.

I saw that it was raining as we were in warm-up, however when the game switched to the race it went bone dry on my monitor and I could see people on the grid with it looking dry. However, the moment I joined the grid I found out that wasn't the case and it was actually hammering down and I'd selected dry tyres...

Started the race pretty much dead last behind the GTs after coming in for wets, took what seemed like an hour to clear them all because of the hundreds of code 80s (even saw people spinning/crashing going into and during the middle of code 80s, congrats), then when I had finally cleared them, my god...

I believe I already mentioned this after R1, I don't know if it was the wet weather scaring people or what but; GTs seriously will you stick to your damn lines and stop trying to move out of the way, it's not helpful!!! The amount of times I nearly crashed having to avoid a swerving GT I can't even count. PLEASE just be predictable!

It seemed like I accidentally made a wet setup for our car because when I wasn't being hindered by traffic the car was absolutely flying, I was closing on Vires for a while and then it just seemed like clean laps were a thing of the past and I lost about 45 seconds over 1 stint. The car was fun to drive nonetheless.

Now I've learned that apparently our second driver who dropped my handover from 1st down to 6th by the end wasn't even supposed to be driving and we face a DQ... this race just gets better! What a waste of my time...

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw that it was raining as we were in warm-up, however when the game switched to the race it went bone dry on my monitor and I could see people on the grid with it looking dry. However, the moment I joined the grid I found out that wasn't the case and it was actually hammering down and I'd selected dry tyres...
First off when the game is in the countdown - it won't call for any weather, I would guess it's the game that simply doesn't do this - but it's a known issue - well at least it's been like this for some time. It's been discussed in VEC before. Fix? No idea - but this is one of the reasons why the formation lap was 3 laps - more time to accommodate for those conditions.
I will ask S397 about this - perhaps it can be fixed somehow.

Now I've learned that apparently our second driver who dropped my handover from 1st down to 6th by the end wasn't even supposed to be driving and we face a DQ... this race just gets better! What a waste of my time...
Manager did enquiry a last minute addition to the line up - Bernd denied it since it was too late for him to fix things - and yes it does take more than 1 minute to add, bc tool and server needs to be prepared for this.
Rules does state that Race director can say ok for this, but Bernd clearly said no - and unfortunately Shane didn't check the forum before someone shared the link and TeamSpeak information to Adam which is why he all of a sudden could race against what the admin had said.
Clearly a breach of rules and code of conduct.
If there is an emergency again I'd suggest to yet again contact race director on TeamSpeak, or get in contact any other way. Obviously we are here to help - but we also need to have everything in place.
Remember we have over 120 regged teams in VEC and VLMS - 500+ drivers.
We take this sh*t seriously and do demand teams to do so too, we don't joke around ;)

Hopefully it is understandable - we have rules for a reason - and sometimes we need to say no, because other things have priority.

Luke Walsh

SR.C License 4
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
I'm not questioning the rules on this occasion I'm just pissed that I drove my a** off for two hours unknowingly for nothing... I only found out about this whole issue after I'd got out the car so you can probably understand why.

Noted about the weather. I don't keep up with forums much as I'm usually too busy to even get as much practice as I'd like let alone catch up on chat, I'll remember for next time!

Last edited:

Dennis Hadlak

VEC Division 2
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
wow, what a race for our PRL Logitech Team. First of all thanks to the organisation of this event and to the commantators, you did realy well.
After a very good qualifying from Matthias, we starts from 9th Position in our class. We had often luck with the Code 80, so we only need to stop twice. After Matthias two stints, i get behind the wheel and had a lot of fun to hunt the other GT in front of me. Unfortunately in the 5th or 6th lap of my stint, was a lmp the opinion he must pass immediatly... big thanks to this driver. It was only a little touch and i should go over the meadow, but he damage my right front suspension. So my steeringwheel stand about 3-5 degree to the right and the tire heat up permanently, but it make no sence to repair this and i drove to the end.
Nevertheless the Result is great and i had fun in the rain. seeya next race ;-)

Last edited:

Marcelo Aiello

SR.C License 4
Reaction score
[Quote = "Mike Horn, mensaje: 36839, miembro de: 2459"] me gustaría pedir disculpas a [USER = 2086] @Marcelo Aiello [/ USUARIO] para el contacto en el primer sector en aproximadamente los últimos 10 minutos de la carrera . Unfortunetely en este pequeño momento no estaba enfocado en un 100% y esto condujo a un pequeño contacto entre nosotros. La esperanza de que su coche no era tan dañado como se golpeó la pared. Así que una gran soory para que el mate !!!

Un informe detallado de la carrera # 181 BHR llegará los próximos días en nuestras ropa está seca de nuevo ;)[/ quote]

I can not lie to you! My car was quite battered in such a way that I could not bend, that meant 2 corner cuts in the next 2 laps that did not produce any penalties. But it was a very difficult race for all, so, apology accepted and no problems. Embrace and congratulations to the podium and all who could finish.

Bernd Schmidt

Administrator
SR.C License 4
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
Stewards review has been posted.

You'll find it on the first side of this thread, post #3

Thomas Hinss

VEC Division 2
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
well looks like I've been a naughty boy :p Not much to say except that I f...ed (no need for a automatic censor, I'll just censor myself :p ) up, plain and simplino. Big apologies once again to the team, really really poor event from me.

Ah well, means one less race to worry about and more time to focus more on the whole 'life' thing (which I really don't focus enough on these days to be fair) :)

Also hopefully never have to race prototypes around that track again, yes the rain kind of made the mood of the racing (for me atleast) very "F... (Sorry i can't express myself in an adult way, so sometimes I use swearing - but luckily the forum corrects me) it all", but damn did I feel uncomfortable with that car around that track. But that could just be me, I am (from where I'm standing at least) probably one of the most lackluster drivers here at SRC so it may just be because I'm gigantic amounts of shit at racing in general :p

Last edited:

Nico Barclay

VEC Division 1
VLMS
VEC Season Pass
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
Well i gotta say and maybe im wrong but the code 80´s tacit rule is "if u gain time u give it back" and if u have a situation where have to maneouvre to avoid an incident (suchas being rear ended) u take action. thats how i think the experienced guys see it... tho
we are getting into "rule interpretation" but i want to reveal some context (and maybe it was taken into consideration) to how i went about the code 80´s im being penalized

1st Violation of code 80 i was 3kph over the limit for a few seconds but i inmiediatelly dropped down 20kph to make up for it.
upload_2016-12-23_10-12-8.jpeg

2nd Violation there was a p2 behind me not seeming to "slow down" when i slowed down he just locked his brakes and hit me, was more worried about the guy behind crashing into me in the last kink, if i went any slower i would have gotten crashed into way harder. Wich i was hit and got slowed down do to the unforced spin i received.
upload_2016-12-23_10-12-20.jpeg

I know rules are rules, code 80´s are enforced so the track is safe and i know the the stewards can only enforce a rule with the time stamp and the speed a car is doing, but sometimes there are outside factors. So if code 80´s are gonna be penalized regardless of the situation fine by me, i accept it, but i feel that gap where u can "make up for it on track" is well justified specially if its 3kph.

Not trying to put anyone on the spot, but to congratulate the stewards and maybe discuss the grey areas that appear such as this, maybe is black and white for them.

Last edited:

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
First incident - you are above the speed limit - you have had 10 seconds to slow down there is no excuse.
Same goes for the second one - you have had 10 seconds and you have the full track simply move slightly off the racing line if you are worried.
But make sure you are slowed down - if not then you are not following the rules and is subject to a stiff penalty as rules explain. I haven't checked - and won't today, but did you post an IRR on this? I know I would have because that is not smart driving and I hope it is mentioned in the steward report. But if you haven't then remember to do it next time. That is poor driving from that driver ;)

David Beranek

VEC Division 2
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
If you want to penalize and give race bans for reaching 80 0.050s later than when the timestamp is stated(how? :)) then alright, there is not mentioned anything about any tolerance in the rules so fair enought, next time I will brake 1 meter earlier now when I know where is the line, but in that case penalize all the same please:
1151.335 J Fernandez
3491.110 D Jundt
4263.640 B Willis
4684.900 J Holden Jones
6075.000 L Lucidi
8401.480 A Ferrie

Also if you state that "you will get a race ban if you have recieved 3x speeding" then I don't understand why some drivers don't have one as well?
A Peretti (3x)
J Fernandez (3x)
M Mueller (3x)
G Angelidis (3x)
M Somma (5x)
E Schaller (3x)

+B Willis (2x + 4263.640)
+J Holden Jones(2x + 4684.900)

Per Oqvist

VEC Division 2
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
I dont understand why azevedo get penalties when the server admin made a misstake and not adding us to the teamspeak? Mine is probably correct though I did compensate.

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
I havent reviewed the code 80´s so i cant say David.

Its clearly explained in the rules and tbh i was appalled when i saw this many not respecting a SIMPLE rule. Yes it is simple, and you can be as noicy as you´d like, it dosent change that THOSE drivers didnt follow the rule.

@Per Oqvist not sure why you didnt hear anything, the whisper command which is in VEC is not "dedicated" to anyone - but to all clients on the server. I suspect that Bernd used the same as well.

It is what it is, someone once said "own up to your mistakes and learn from them"
We wont ease up on any rulings, just sayin´ infact this just gave me a reason to look harder at VEC´s CODE 80´s and im usually a bit more harsch than most stewards.

Per Oqvist

VEC Division 2
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
Berndt managed to fix the problem so he must know. But that was after the start and a couple code 80s maybe the speedings where after that? After I got the message it been fixed ts worked again. I suspect we wherent added in the whisper list?

Last edited:

Thomas Hinss

VEC Division 2
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
Whatever the case with these penalties I think moving forward is where it's at, rules are rules and no matter how harsh it is 'them the breaks' as I believe the saying goes.

I have my own views with safety cars/code 80's which I don't think most would agree with but those are the rules, my bad for costing the team a driver and penalties for the next race.

Enjoying the passion of sim racing is always the goal for me over results and all that jazz so bring on the next event, whatever and wherever that is :)