What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

rFactor 2 game optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo Fazzi

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Sup guys, I recently reinstalled rF2 because the combination of Steam workshop and myself made a complete mess of my install.

Reinstalling made me remember the bunch of tweaks I did to have the game run more smoothly, without losing too much visual quality. I figured quite a few of you are unaware of these, so I here's a list:

Lowering detail of cars in the garage:
In the player.json file, search for "Garage Detail". Default is 0.5, I set it to 0.01.

Lowering detail of cars on track, while keeping the liveries clear:
In the player.json file, search for "Opponent Detail" and make sure it looks like the following:
"Opponent Detail":1,
"Opponent Texture Override":3
This lowers the detail of the actual car model, while keeping the livery at high quality.

Maximum number of headlights:
Search for "Max headlights" in the player.json file
Change to whatever you want, I personally have it at 50, which is plenty. Default is 256.

Rear view mirror render distance:
Search for "Rearview_Back_Clip" in the player.json file. The number is the render distance in meters.

Issues with stuttering/screen freezes:
Incase you have issues with stuttering or freezing, search for "Use Thread" in controller.json and set it to true. It had no impact on performance in my case.

Avoid stutters and CPU/GPU overload set this to your screens refresh rate plus one:
"Max Framerate":61,

Higher resolution textures on opponent vehicles, while using lower polygon detail:
"Opponent Detail":1,
"Opponent Texture Override":3,
Second one was already in there, but I'll add them to the first post ;)

Hi. Maby you can help me about freez. Im drive C7R in virtual lemans server. I try full tank fuel and after 40 minutes my game freez with message: synchronizing?

Hi. Maby you can help me about freez. Im drive C7R in virtual lemans server. I try full tank fuel and after 40 minutes my game freez with message: synchronizing?
Syncronizing is when the game and your client is trying to be "on the same page"
It could be anything, when its not on our server i cant really know what is going on, perhaps contact the host of the server?
But it could also be the client (your pc) that simply is running out of real time, meaning the CPU cant handle it.

Thx for helps.
I'm call my internet provider and there is no errors at that time.
I must check/ found rf2 log or something. Yust for info, that was after synchronizing message a message connection lost. It was Virtual Le Mans Series server and error happend at about 1:06 time.
Maby is this message meens something:
[Warning] [11-08-2017 00:52:05.309] Healthcheck. State: Connected, last send id: 34127, last confirmed id: 34126
[Warning] [11-08-2017 00:57:06.443] Healthcheck. State: Connected, last send id: 35633, last confirmed id: 35633
[Info] [11-08-2017 01:06:58.5] Initializing Plugin (1.4.0.2), User Data: 'F:\Programi\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\', Game Version: 11108
[Info] [11-08-2017 01:06:58.9] Executable: rFactor2.exe
[Warning] [11-08-2017 01:06:58.14] TcpClient::SetState Connecting
[Warning] [11-08-2017 01:06:58.92] TcpClient::SetState Connected
[Warning] [11-08-2017 01:06:58.249] From Server: Reloaded server - sessionInfo False, game False
Sory for my anglish...

Last edited:
Ahh, i didnt understand that you were on the VLMS server, infact i thought it was A Le Mans server :)
I dont see any errors on the server, does this happen more than once?

It happend only ones. And after that I'm yust to restart rf2 and connect into the sever to check if I can yoin and it was OK. I'll check today again with 1 stint;).

I run triple screen at 5760 x 1080

I have set in the player.json file:

The above settings and / or:
Maximum number of headlights:
"Max Headlights":15,
Maximum number of Visible Vehicles:
"Max Visible Vehicles":15
Sharpen textures: - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto) 5 = default
"Texture Sharpening":3,

Edit:
I forgot to say that I'm not using "Max Framerate":61, because that still gives me stutters on my triple screens setup.
I use Ingame video Sync in video settings, witch make rFactor 2 run as smooth as as it could possible be at 60fps.

Last edited:
I made a similar topic in S397 forum some time ago, some extra information there too.

Avoid stutters and CPU/GPU overload set this to your screens refresh rate plus one:

Using Freesync, I get better results with frame limiter of refresh rate minus one, because when FPS jumps over 144 for example, Freesync turns it off for moments and I experience tearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.