What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Race 4 - 8 hours of Sepang

Michael Matzen

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Dear all,

As I have witnessed some questionable overtakes in the practice sessions the last couple of days, I tried to mark on the track map, where the overtaking of the faster classes should NOT happen, as it is really dangerous for the GTEs to not take the racing line in these areas. For example, when you as a P2 try to overtake in T5, the GTE has no chance to get the corner combination 5/6 right at race pace and is very prone to end off-track there. The GTE has to approach that corner from the very outside and hug the curb on the left to get the correct entry for T6, there is only one line to get it right.
I myself had been in a few situations in the last races, where I disobeyed the rule to stick to the racing line as the slower class when being overtaken, simply because it would have ended bad for me and the overtaking guys, I just wanted to play it safe, the overtaking ones obviously not. Just ask yourself "Do I really want to risk the race, because I don't want to wait till after that corner..."

If you now think "Ah well, another whining GTE driver", go to the practice server, grab a GTE for 30 laps and learn what these cars can and cannot do and adept your driving in the faster class accordingly, pretty please.

This is of course only my humble opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree. Looking forward to a clean, fair race on Saturday!
800px-Circuit_Sepang_1999.svg_markedpng.png

Christian Michel

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
You can have your Opinion, but you need to understand as well that we are also "racing" and don't want to spend seconds behind you. I can tell you what i think about your thoughts.

T1-2 - correct, also no point for p2s to overtake, only exit of 2 outside/inside depends where the GT goes.
T4 - one of the best Spots to overtake for us.
T5-6 - We will try to go around the outside of 5 or the inside of 6, simply cause we have so much more downforce in our cars, you will have to adapt to that in some term, surely we lose time there as well but if we stick behind a GT that costs like 2-3 sec only in these two Corners.
T7 - correct, thats a bad spot to overtake, wouldn't do it as well.
T9 - also one of the best Spots, you should count on p2s diving there.
T12,13,14 - that's always situational, if the driver in front goes too slow we often tend to dive down into 14 on your inside, in between 12-13 it's risky and i personally wouldn't do that.

Conclusion is i think you'll need to deal with that, that's multicass racing - same for us as we lose time everywhere - that's how it goes.

Jimi Hughes

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
You can have your Opinion, but you need to understand as well that we are also "racing" and don't want to spend seconds behind you. I can tell you what i think about your thoughts.

T1-2 - correct, also no point for p2s to overtake, only exit of 2 outside/inside depends where the GT goes.
T5-6 - We will try to go around the outside of 5 or the inside of 6, simply cause we have so much more downforce in our cars, you will have to adapt to that in some term, surely we lose time there as well but if we stick behind a GT that costs like 2-3 sec only in these two Corners.
T12,13,14 - that's always situational, if the driver in front goes too slow we often tend to dive down into 14 on your inside, in between 12-13 it's risky and i personally wouldn't do that.

Conclusion is i think you'll need to deal with that, that's multicass racing - same for us as we lose time everywhere - that's how it goes.
I’m a GT driver and I fully agree with this. We can’t ask LMP drivers to sit behind us and wait all the time because we want to drive at 10/10 for 8 hours straight. There are a couple of corners here where it is risky, but generally speaking Sepang is one of the better tracks for multi class.

Give & take is required from all classes at all times.

Michael Matzen

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score

I get that and partly agree with you. But if we stick to the "stay on the line" rule, in T4, T5/6 and T9, expect some carnage there. This is just to point out the negative experience from the practice sessions, where a lot of people seem to be in fast-lapper-mode all the time... I hope we can avoid this in the race though.

Shawn Jacobs

VLMC director
VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
I get that and partly agree with you. But if we stick to the "stay on the line" rule, in T4, T5/6 and T9, expect some carnage there. This is just to point out the negative experience from the practice sessions, where a lot of people seem to be in fast-lapper-mode all the time... I hope we can avoid this in the race though.
Stay on the line refers to down the straights, if a P2/P3 is along side coming into a turn then you do not "stay on line" you leave space, even lifting a little bit early can be a good idea as you can then take the normal apex right behind the proto.

T4,T9 and T14 are all spots prototype are 100% going to make overtakes at.

It will work fine as long as respect is shown both ways.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

David Nichols

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
@Jimmi Allison, just a question on the weather. I make the race start time to be 12 midnight local time for the tracks real world location. Will the weather API pull through live data from then untill race end, or will it use the data that was generated from the day before (ie to match the simulated start time of 11am)?

Cameron Rodger

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Dear all,

As I have witnessed some questionable overtakes in the practice sessions the last couple of days, I tried to mark on the track map, where the overtaking of the faster classes should NOT happen, as it is really dangerous for the GTEs to not take the racing line in these areas. For example, when you as a P2 try to overtake in T5, the GTE has no chance to get the corner combination 5/6 right at race pace and is very prone to end off-track there. The GTE has to approach that corner from the very outside and hug the curb on the left to get the correct entry for T6, there is only one line to get it right.
I myself had been in a few situations in the last races, where I disobeyed the rule to stick to the racing line as the slower class when being overtaken, simply because it would have ended bad for me and the overtaking guys, I just wanted to play it safe, the overtaking ones obviously not. Just ask yourself "Do I really want to risk the race, because I don't want to wait till after that corner..."

If you now think "Ah well, another whining GTE driver", go to the practice server, grab a GTE for 30 laps and learn what these cars can and cannot do and adept your driving in the faster class accordingly, pretty please.

This is of course only my humble opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree. Looking forward to a clean, fair race on Saturday!
View attachment 5979
you may aswell just colour the whole track in red and tell LMP2/3 to sod off back to the pitlane if you dont wanna be overtaken.
you coloured every corner expect 2, and t11 is one of the hardest corners on the track. so its probably not even good to pass there regualarly..... interesting ideas

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
@Jimmi Allison, just a question on the weather. I make the race start time to be 12 midnight local time for the tracks real world location. Will the weather API pull through live data from then untill race end, or will it use the data that was generated from the day before (ie to match the simulated start time of 11am)?
Real time meaning it does not care about time difference

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
Regarding good and bad overtaking spots - rules should explain that very well.
Aim for overtaking during braking, acceleration or on the straight - and only mid corner when it is safe and you know the driver have seen you ;) long sweeping corners are always tricky as GT generally need more space due to less downforce.

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
D4 server either crashed or went offline. I suddenly lost connection
Yes, i was actually working with the penalties for tomorrow on D1, D2, D3 and then D4 and it went down while i was editing a file (and no this does not influence the server at all)
Rebooting the entire machine now - just to make sure its fit for fight for tomorrows practice before the reboot at 15 ;)

Frans-Jan Romme

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Yes, i was actually working with the penalties for tomorrow on D1, D2, D3 and then D4 and it went down while i was editing a file (and no this does not influence the server at all)
Rebooting the entire machine now - just to make sure its fit for fight for tomorrows practice before the reboot at 15 ;)
thnx for quik response :D

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
Its back up, however timing java script acts up from time to time, it will show a slighty bigger image but yeah, its like that until tomorrow.

Cristian Bellini

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Seems to be a bug at night using VR

This screenshot is in VR with lights off in pits
View attachment 5945

VR lights on
View attachment 5946

Turn 1 in VR lights off
View attachment 5947

T1 lights on VR. See how you can't see the apex at all it's completely black.
View attachment 5948

T1 without VR lights off. You can now see the apex.
View attachment 5949

I am finding it very hard to spot the apex of the corner due to this bug. Anyone else having this issue?
Hello, only tonight I realized that I also have the same problem. Furthermore I have strange lighting effects. sometimes I have lights coming from behind the car (as if there were some cars behind), and sometimes the car's interior gets totally dark while the lighting in the circuit does not seem to change. All this is very annoying with the vr. I have headache immediately after a few turns.
Have you solved this problem?

Shawn Jacobs

VLMC director
VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
@Jimmi Allison would you be able to explain the new weather API a bit more?

The every 2 hours part, am I understand this correctly? If it is raining at say 50% when the API updates, will it then continue to rain at 50% for the next 2 hours until the API updates again? Or when it does the update does it instead grab a snap shot of the next 2 hours (eg hourly Weather) and then it will be more variable over the 2 hour period?

Thanks in advance.