What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing.
Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Race 3 - 6 hours of Interlagos

Nick Newcombe

VEC Division 3
Broadcast team
SRC Season pass
I had a similar problem, i pressed the race button and it wasnt letting me join, as soon I it let me click the race button it put me in our pit box. No penalty though
Ok guys, now I understand what happened as I knew you wouldn't miss being on start line for parade lap without good reason. Seeing two cars coming to pit lane took me by surprise I must say. Hope all goes well at next round.

Bas van Dort

VEC Division 3
SRC Season pass
Ok guys, now I understand what happened as I knew you wouldn't miss being on start line for parade lap without good reason. Seeing two cars coming to pit lane took me by surprise I must say. Hope all goes well at next round.
Still a quick question, do you have an idea why I got a stop/go penalty for acut track when leaving the box?

Fabio Cangioli

VEC Division 2
VLMS
SRC Season pass
No video(s) from me for this round, was called into the car with very little notice. I did go through the replay and record my overtake for 9th which cheered us up a little :)
Also, did I leave enough room on the inside, or was I being a bit cheeky closing the door? (Feedback is always welcome :))
Just seen it, clean and fair move Thomas ;)

Johnnj had a little damage in his final stint after a small touch on pit exit, he admitted it only after race was finished :lol: :Laugh:

Gustavo da Silva

VEC Division 3
SRC Season pass
I can’t see anything in the result xml at all. Did you perhaps leave and then rejoin at some point? I mean in Q or warmup?
Jimmi, I stayed looged in and in the session from the beggining of qualifying all the way to the end of my first stint.

Gasper Zupan

VEC Division 2
VEC Season Pass
Division 2 GTE #161 Troyan Donut Automotive

Another successful race for our team. In not so perfect qualy, I put us on penultimate P14. As usual that fact didn't really bother us, as margins were relatively small and we had some tenths in the pocket, considering my Q lap was not ideal. Race started well and I gained three positions in my first stint. Car felt fantastic so I decided to raise my game a bit in second stint and went out with all guns available. Very soon after my pitstop, an unfortunate event prevented me to successfully end my mission and also resulted in loosing one place. Slightly damaged car just didn't feel right. So instead of full attack mode, I was forced to switch my game to damage limitation pace - with "no more drama" being priority nr.1. @Bozo Fujs was next one to take the wheel. 2 fast stints with no mistakes and he brought us up to P8/P9. Excellent job m8 :thumbsup: (y) Then it was time for @Gasper Grebenc to take over. We were very close with @Dennis Hadlak at times, but I didn't allow mr. Grebenc to fight this one. Dennis was evidently faster and I could see from laptimes that if he goes in front of us, he could also possibly catch up @Lance Garassino near the end of race. If they would go one on one, anything could happen - and we were hungry for leftovers :cool: Unfortunately Dennis spun and Gasper overtook him again. But again Dennis was too fast for us and Gasper cleverly decided not to resist to much. We all agreed, we are in a good position anyway. However, positions haven't change until the end of the race, so we were pleased with P8. Nice 4 points in Division 2 is a great way for us to end a year :)
Driving standards were great again. Only one minor issue with LMP and one unfortunate situation with another GTE car. We couldn't ask for more :thumbsup: (y)

Congrats to all winners and thank you SRC staff for all the hard work and time you put in for us.

See you all in Sepang ;)

Last edited:

Mikko Korkiakoski

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
I appologise to the drivers of the LMP2 car number 8 of Raijin Racing for the contact caused by me on pit exit as the their car was on my blind spot and only aknowledge it was there when we had contact.

I am doing this publicly because i couldnt take it to PM due to their profiles being private.

Once again I am sorry and i hope i didnt give you too much damage!
Sorry, I didn't realize my profile was set to private by default. I accept your apology because it was clearly unintentional.

Shawn Campbell

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
During the race I was wondering how the heck some BMWs were able to run 1-2 laps longer compared to us and this explains it perfectly. Yeah BoP is important and we feel it's really good at the moment. Perhaps in qualifying BMW was two tenths faster but in the race the BoP was just perfect - this crazy 6 hour sprint race BMW vs Porsche between few seconds each others is a perfect evidence of it. No need for me to start any discussion of it. Bigger tank can favor in some circumstances of course but I like these cars are not exactly similar and there are some minor differences. Makes racing more interesting!
This is my own personal opinion based on driving the GTE's but I believe the Porsche and the BMW are very close. The Corvette is very tough on tires, maybe a bit more top speed, but when I drove it I felt it was a bit of a disadvantage. once you lost the tires it was at a major disadvantage to the others

A couple other people in the other leagues I participate in have had similar thoughts. What I wonder is if the tire wear on the Corvette is representative of real world. As I understand based on previous discussions carried elsewhere that the physics for this mod were developed from actual data but I'd like to ascertain that actual input data doesn't guarantee the cars will be truly accurate in their performance. All the data in the world won't make any difference if the core physics model doesn't implement it properly. So with that being said I still think honestly that the Vette might be a little tougher on the tires than it really is in real. The differences are quite drastic when you compare over the course of the race.

This just being my off the wall thoughts here. Nothing against what we have so far it is really good I just wonder if additional thoughts are being had to the relative performance compared with real since if we are trying to simulate real performance, well they should match the real performance as an ultimate goal and not simply having real data input into something which makes the performance not matching real life. I don't even really know if S397 has the actual data from Corvette and the tire suppliers but I'm betting they do. The term "real world data" comes up a lot but it may not be a means to an end.

I'm sure some will disagree with this but I wanted to at least provide some of my personal thoughts on what has otherwise to me felt like the most realistic sim platform I've ever run.

EDIT - yes possibly this isn't the best place to discuss this topic but I at least wanted to share some thoughts. I am not in any position to rant but rather just to think a bit about things and provide some hopefully neutral feedback.

Last edited:

Riccardo Corazzari

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
This is my own personal opinion based on driving the GTE's but I believe the Porsche and the BMW are very close. The Corvette is very tough on tires, maybe a bit more top speed, but when I drove it I felt it was a bit of a disadvantage. once you lost the tires it was at a major disadvantage to the others

A couple other people in the other leagues I participate in have had similar thoughts. What I wonder is if the tire wear on the Corvette is representative of real world. As I understand based on previous discussions carried elsewhere that the physics for this mod were developed from actual data but I'd like to ascertain that actual input data doesn't guarantee the cars will be truly accurate in their performance. All the data in the world won't make any difference if the core physics model doesn't implement it properly. So with that being said I still think honestly that the Vette might be a little tougher on the tires than it really is in real. The differences are quite drastic when you compare over the course of the race.

This just being my off the wall thoughts here. Nothing against what we have so far it is really good I just wonder if additional thoughts are being had to the relative performance compared with real since if we are trying to simulate real performance, well they should match the real performance as an ultimate goal and not simply having real data input into something which makes the performance not matching real life. I don't even really know if S397 has the actual data from Corvette and the tire suppliers but I'm betting they do. The term "real world data" comes up a lot but it may not be a means to an end.

I'm sure some will disagree with this but I wanted to at least provide some of my personal thoughts on what has otherwise to me felt like the most realistic sim platform I've ever run.

EDIT - yes possibly this isn't the best place to discuss this topic but I at least wanted to share some thoughts. I am not in any position to rant but rather just to think a bit about things and provide some hopefully neutral feedback.
From my feelings in the preseason was the opposite, I found the vette very gentle (due to more pitch-roll movements mainly) in fact on the QL simulation was harder -at least for me- to take out the best from the tyres in a shot. But on the longrun was very handful and linear. BUT as i said was just preseason (already with 90% of the setup done), maybe with the knowledge i have now i may have another feeling. What was really bad was the gearing, completely wrong for that power-torque curves.
About real world comparison I worked with Michelin tyres during the entire 2018 season (S9M compound) and they had a crazy peak for 1 lap (g-g graph were quite "woah" in some circuits like Paul Ricard or Barcelona or Budapest in qualy) then a drop, then they were remaining static untill the death basically. You go out in Race with a tyre with 3 timed laps from qualy and if you are OK with the balance you do the same laptime from the first to the last lap, and in lower degradation circuits you go even faster lap by lap because of the fuel going down (so they were a lot more consistent compared to the tyres we are "simulating").. I never found overheating issues, sometimes the opposite, only in very cold conditions or on a particular track like Monza to keep the tyre in the best thermal window required slight setup changes. Only the balance was pretty changing from very cold to very hot track temperature.
This was with GT3 cars, with GTE cars the degradation should be even lower as they are generally much much better on everything.

Shawn Jacobs

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
From my feelings in the preseason was the opposite, I found the vette very gentle (due to more pitch-roll movements mainly) in fact on the QL simulation was harder -at least for me- to take out the best from the tyres in a shot. But on the longrun was very handful and linear. BUT as i said was just preseason (already with 90% of the setup done), maybe with the knowledge i have now i may have another feeling. What was really bad was the gearing, completely wrong for that power-torque curves.
About real world comparison I worked with Michelin tyres during the entire 2018 season (S9M compound) and they had a crazy peak for 1 lap (g-g graph were quite "woah" in some circuits like Paul Ricard or Barcelona or Budapest in qualy) then a drop, then they were remaining static untill the death basically. You go out in Race with a tyre with 3 timed laps from qualy and if you are OK with the balance you do the same laptime from the first to the last lap, and in lower degradation circuits you go even faster lap by lap because of the fuel going down (so they were a lot more consistent compared to the tyres we are "simulating").. I never found overheating issues, sometimes the opposite, only in very cold conditions or on a particular track like Monza to keep the tyre in the best thermal window required slight setup changes. Only the balance was pretty changing from very cold to very hot track temperature.
This was with GT3 cars, with GTE cars the degradation should be even lower as they are generally much much better on everything.
on the tyre temps, are you able to advise at what point they usually over heat in real life? Seems in the S397 P3 and C7 GTE that once you hit 80 degrees celsius or above they just become mush and the car slides all over the place, I would have thought racing slicks would have a much higher temp threshold but yeah I could be completely wrong.

Tony Mella

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
on the tyre temps, are you able to advise at what point they usually over heat in real life? Seems in the S397 P3 and C7 GTE that once you hit 80 degrees celsius or above they just become mush and the car slides all over the place, I would have thought racing slicks would have a much higher temp threshold but yeah I could be completely wrong.
From what i saw on motec, P3 temps are a bit counter-intuitive
But maybe it's just me i'm not a pro

Riccardo Corazzari

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
i cant tell you something specific but as soon as you are above a minimun operational temperature then the window is pretty wide. For sure if you go above 120 they are not happy....

Shawn Jacobs

VEC Division 1
VLMS
SRC Season pass
i cant tell you something specific but as soon as you are above a minimun operational temperature then the window is pretty wide. For sure if you go above 120 they are not happy....
Cool thanks Riccardo, good info, appreciate it. Hopefully at some point there will be an update to increase the window a bit more on the s397 tyres.

Marco Vinciullo

VEC Division 4
SRC Season pass
What I have noticed is that this version of the tire model is inheriting an old RF2 problem that remains too constrained to tire pressure.
The more you can maintain a lower pressure, the better the grip, it may have a justification but up to certain limits .
For example, if I leave for the first lap I will have an elevated grip even if I have the tires are cold (and it should not really happen) because of the low pressures (or at least this is my explanation).
Driving more laps the pressure will be higher until it stabilizes and it is easy to perceive the differences lap by lap.
For the first 2 - 3 - 4 laps (depending on the type of track) the car has more grip and I understand that it is a desired phenomenon (in real life of motorsport this happens for some categories) but what happens here after a few laps is something different because it changes the way you drive the car that becomes much more slippery.
So what I want to say is that I understand that for the first laps I can have a greater grip (allowing me one or two laps from qualifying) but I find it strange that then the car is different to drive.