What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Race 1 - Montreal

Wow, what a season starter! First of all many thanks to @Florian Koetz for the quick support before the race. During the qualifying @Jan Studenski, @Simon David Scott and I found out that every time a message popped up the chat, there was a chance our game crashes. Jan wrote, for testing, something into the chat and as soon as he pressed "Enter" both of us had a game crash. This happened like 4-5 times; I logged the crashes.

Then Florian advised me to disable the chat in the multiplayer.ini. I did that and also changed the car from 2012 to 2013 specs. After that, I had no more game crashes, really really weird I can tell you...

Now to the race! I qualified P17 which was good besides the fact that I had no practice because of my game crashing issues. Especially the dry line in the rain conditions was something completely new to me. Braking 5cm on the wet track and your car would go crazy! Because of that, I earned three cut tracks which resulted in a 10sec stop & go penalty. I worked my way up and ended actually on P6 behind my buddy @Mohammed el Gueriri!

I need to apologize to @Sergio Mambretti for the contact at the hairpin (Lap 3), that was completely my fault! Another big mistake by me was this situation here:

I am not sure why I did that, definitely a big sorry to @Roman Prikryl. You braked quite early, and my instinct was faster than my brain, and I did the overtake under the code 80 (Lap 26). I gave on the following lap the position back. This was an idiotic move, and if that means I receive a penalty for the next race, I am accepting it to 100%. Once again sorry :(

All in all a very nice race, my first rFactor2 online race at all. Thanks :)

Don't worry, can happen ... my car broke the wing, but I could continue the race! :)
I'm so sorry for the penalties taken in the hairpin. With 2 wheels on the curb and 2 on the track still gave the cut..... Why?

Stewards review for both divisions have been posted, please refer to post #3 and #4 in this thread for any penalties you might have.

Stewards review for both divisions have been posted, please refer to post #3 and #4 in this thread for any penalties you might have.

@Enzo Fazzi, question: I see I got a drive through for ignoring a blue flag, so I accept the drive through penalty in tomorrow's race and serve it in the race. Is there a way for me to find out what specific incident this was? I'd like to review that in my recording, so I can improve for the next race. I drive with an Oculus Rift and the found out that the flags and repair icon are shown in the left top corner out of sight. With the Rift I have to litterally look up and left away from the track to see this info. I will see if I can change the HUD settings so that flags and repair sign are shown in my direct line of sight of the Rift.

I'm new to RFactor2 and still figuring stuff out about this game.

EDIT: @Enzo Fazzi, my question up here is answered by my friend @Jan Studenski. He explained to me how the number works as the time index on the server replay.

In the LCD display in the lower right (I guess it's in the lower right even with the Rift) you can find a page that says "penalties"
No one ever uses it but there are also lots of people having trouble to find out if it's a stop and go or a drive through so I don't quite understand that

But maybe you could leave the display at this page and only switch to tyres etc when you need it. That way you don't miss a penalty.

Last edited:
I also use VR, and seeing blue flags is almost impossible. I had one or two blue flags, but I saw both of them after I let them by. They where closing in really fast, so let them by since I knew fighting them would be useless... And tbf, the HUD is useless really, to see anything you have to move your head a lot.

Is there any way to move the HUD like in AC?

In the LCD display in the lower left (I guess it's in the lower left even with the Rift) you can find a page that says "penalties"
No one ever uses it but there are also lots of people having trouble to find out if it's a stop and go or a drive through so I don't quite understand that

But maybe you could leave the display at this page and only switch to tyres etc when you need it. That way you don't miss a penalty.

@Florian Koetz I'll have a look at your suggestion. The problem with the VR Hud is that it's positioned floating in the air and it's size is bigger than your direct line of sight. To view the info on the LCD screen you have to look down and right, to read the info on the messages box you have to look down and left. I will see if can get the info properly shown in a testrun tomorrow. I even can't get the car/name labels to show (even if I have a button correctly mapped for it) which makes it a little more difficult to know whom you're racing. Anyway, I hope I can get the HUD to show the correct info in my line of sight.

Same difficulties with VR here regarding noticing blue flags, penalties and hud position, for now just one solution go back to non-VR or otherwise deal with it.

My VR crashed at the very end of practice, had to reset and do quali without VR.
Did not enjoy that at all as I did all practicing in VR, simply felt wrong specifically in all corners, and it took me the entire Q session to get used to non-VR a bit. Outcome was that my final qual time was not great, but the start position does not matter all that much in a long race.

Still decided to reset PC and do the race in VR as that felt way more comfortable. This meant I missed warmup and joined server with 30 seconds to go before race start. Messed up first part of race further by gambling to start on slicks as i had missed how 'fun' the conditions had become. So that was a early first pitstop and there were many more to follow as i kept overshooting last chicane and getting 10's s/g.

Regarding VR it is beta, so if you use it is your decision and you will have to make do with some inefficient stuff for now.
I received way to many (all my own fault) penalties and still manage to noticed them all (if you cross a line or are close I think you should realize it).
Blue flags are a bit harder to notice especially if you are in close combat with others and front runners are coming thru.
But I think I did not hinder leaders to much even when sometimes realizing a bit late when being blue flagged.

In vec races being blue flagged will likely be part of racing (for many of us :) ) and you will need to be safe. If you think VR bothers you to much and distracts to much from race itself to be safe than probably best not to use VR.

2night raceday again, lets see how this one evolves.... I for certain will be in VR mode again and probably looking at some blue flags again :)

@Ger Peeters , going back from VR to screens is not an option mate as you tasted the forbidden fruit and it's so delicious. We just need to cope with it and look around us during the race even more . Have a safe race tonight!

Have you VR guys tried wedgeHUD? Not sure if it works in VR but I think it should...?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631378778
@Tero Dahlberg , I just wanted to post this as I was told by a friend about this. Just tried it out in RFactor2 and it is definitely an improvement. Just subscribe to the WedgeHUD in SteamWorkshop and select it from the Onscreen Display in the menus. Although in VR there doesn't seem to be a difference between the different modes you can select for WedgeHUD. In my test I could clearly see the pitstop sign, the stop/go sign and a yellow light (for yellow flag I suppose). I expect the blue flags will be shown as a blue light in the race. This will definitely help the people with VR during the race. I will make a post in the Lime Rock race thread and link it to this post.