What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

R7 - 12 hours of Le Mans

Bernd Schmidt

Administrator
SR.C License 4
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
Race Length: 12 hours
Simulated Race Time: 15:00-03:00
Time accelerated: x1
Weather forecast: See schedule

Race schedule:
12:50 - Server reboot
12:55 - Open practice (ensure only STARTING driver is on the server)
13:50 - All cars must be on the server
13:55 - Qualifying LM-GT & LMP-2
14:55 - Warmup
15:00 - Start of formation lap - formation lap under pitlimiter, green flag announced on teamspeak "Green flag" when leader is between Tertre Rouge and First Chicane.

Classes: LM-P2, and LM-GT

Servers: Build 1108
Liveview and FLT: Click Here
Event on facebook: Click here
Flag rules: Black only
Broadcast: Yes

Please review the rules before joining the server for the race.

Orange Zone: In effect through first full lap

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernd Schmidt

Administrator
SR.C License 4
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
[Parsehtml]
<iframe id="forecast_embed" type="text/html" frameborder="0" height="245"
width="100%"
src="http://forecast.io/embed/#lat=48.0061&lon=0.1996&name=Le Mans&color=#E0E000&font=Georgia&units=uk"></iframe>[/Parsehtml]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
SR.C License 5
Reaction score
Please note that the track will receive an update next week. Also we need teams to submit skins that follow the actual Albedo rules (not fully white nor black cars, oversaturated wont work as well).

Tony Mella

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
Problem is that we don't have anyone in our team (well we're only 2 so...) that is able to change the color of our skin x(
maybe someone could do it for us ? like just changing to gray skin, nothing big

Jamie Otis

SR.C License 4
Reaction score
Tony do you have the original photoshop file? If so should be straight forward to change, happy to help.

Tony Mella

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
We actually got someone to do it, but thanks a lot Jamie :)

Roberto de Filippis

VEC Division 4
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
I wanted to know if it's confirmed that you have to change the skin for 12h of Le Mans?
In the end is the last race you could still go with the build 1108

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
SR.C License 5
Reaction score
I wanted to know if it's confirmed that you have to change the skin for 12h of Le Mans?
In the end is the last race you could still go with the build 1108
But the broadcast won't so yes you will need to make sure albedo rules are followed on your skin - or we will "null" the skin.

Shawn Jacobs

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
@Jimmi Allison

will this be acceptable for us to fix our skin - adding the 2 fx layers? or will we still need to change the colours?

https://www.studio-397.com/guidelines-for-artists/

• How to quickly update car skins / color maps; Open your file in Photoshop. On top of all layers add these two FX layers:

They will be used to lower the white output and the global color saturation. Here is the skin before using the two FX layers:

and here is the same skin with the FX layers setup:

With these settings being used:

And finally, here is a preview of the skin in-game, before and after the fix:

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
SR.C License 5
Reaction score
This will unfortuantly not work if you load up the dds file.
You will then also change the colorcode of the layers we have added - such as class color and numberplates. Which wont really work out if there is different colors on the numberplates in same classes.

Radek Sirc

VEC Division 2
VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
So if I understand well, the skins have to be change to according with albedo rules in VLMS too. The deadline is the same as in VEC, 13th of May?

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
SR.C License 5
Reaction score
So if I understand well, the skins have to be change to according with albedo rules in VLMS too. The deadline is the same as in VEC, 13th of May?
That would be the very very latest.
This would however depend on Bernd - we have not talked about DX11 in VLMS :)

Povilas Miciunas

VEC Division 2
VEC Season Pass
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
I tried playing with rF2 liveries and the way they work and found out that THERE IS NO CONSISTENCY at all.
I.E. Simtek default liveries work well out of the box because they have very dark alpha channels. So I thought, why not try that on all the liveries? Oh how wrong I was. So the way the alpha works for R18 for example is more alpha = less glare. Which is exactly opposite from the way alpha works in simtek. I then tried the same thing for GTR-LM and found out that it ignores alpha completely in DX11 and has no reflections at all (would be nice if this could be fixed as the car looks completely flat)

Basically making liveries in DX11 is a guess game as there is literally 0 consistency at all. URD themselves use like 4-6 different shaders for their cars. It's a guess game.

I didn't try playing with alpha channels on our LMP2, but I did do what @Stephen Bailey suggested me to. Basically add a completely black layer on top of all other layers and set the opacity of it to something like 35-38%.

the result?

also bonus flat shaded Nissan:

Bernd Schmidt

Administrator
SR.C License 4
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
All teams have to made sure they are following the albedo rules in terms of their skins!!! Which means, you've to submit your skin til 13th May latest.

So those people which doesn't have any problems with DX11 could use it for the race, everyone which has problems should use DX9!

Fabio Cangioli

VEC Division 2
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
When the reason for an updated skin is basically for the broadcast (our team will not use dx11 for this race for example) and if we will fail to send it properly the result it's a blank skin or something that is also really bad for the broadcast, it's a bit confusing.

However, we will try to update our skins, if someone want to help suggesting the simplest way to do it, please send me a PM (just remember that adding layers seems that is not accepted), I can also provide our psd files, thanks in advance.

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
SR.C License 5
Reaction score
It is not confusing.
Many teams skin is not following albedo rules, rules that was posted 4 years ago by ISI - now they are needed for the dx11 guys.
Trust me it is not pleasant to see a white sun racing around on a track.

Tomas Beha

SRC Season pass
Reaction score
If teams just fix their skins to albedo map standatds, the rest has to be done within the model itself. We MAY have to overrule cystom alpha layers. Have been spending alot of hours/days/weeks on Le Mans track, and waited for S397 to release DX11 beta so we could see how it would end up, and also to have some updated content for reference. Another busy weekend behind the desk for me...

Edit: The GT-R LM uses a custom shader, with the dirt build-up, looks like we may have to replace that one if this is the ingame result also.

Last edited:

Fabio Cangioli

VEC Division 2
SRC Season pass
Reaction score
Ok, before messing up with colours, is it possibile to add a completely black layer on top of all other layers and set the opacity to 35-38% as suggested by @Povilas Miciunas ?

I know it's not the best way but it should not change numberplates colours...when that's not accepted I suggest to write about it in the skin submission thread to be sure you will not receive wrong skins.