VEC Division 4
SRC Season pass
Hi, if my car's entry is approved, this will be my first season in VEC, although my team has competed before. I have many questions after reading the rules (which do seem much less well-written than those of the SRCA). Anyway, here goes:
- 1.7.1 regarding who can start the car in the race, states "...new drivers are not allowed...". For clarity, is a "new driver" one in their first VEC race or anywhere in their first VEC season?
- 1.9 regarding drivers not using more than one car in a given race. Elsewhere on the forum a question has cropped up about a driver possibly alternating between team cars within a season, which Jimmi has said "No" to. However, like the person who asked, my reading of the rules sees nothing against that as the rules are currently written. Re-write probably needed.
- 3.2 regarding fastest qualifying time includes a clause stating "the Q driver MUST start the car." What if the fastest driver for a car in qualifying is also a "New" driver as discussed in my first question? Which rule takes precedence?
- 4.2.9 regarding the formation lap contains two contradictory clauses. [Drivers falling out of line] "must not attempt to pass other cars in order to regain their place" yet can also "carefully make their way through the grid to their assigned starting spot".
- 5.1.8 regarding the "Gentleman's Rule". While I would think that what is meant by that phrase is merely slowing and allowing somebody to re-pass you if you feel you have wronged them, there is actually no definition in the rules of what the VEC means by "Gentleman's Rule". This section mentions that we should "apply the GR", but it does not describe exactly what applying it involves.
- 6.9 is a rule which makes no sense to me. I do not know what it is referencing but I have to assume that it was inserted for a specific situation. I do not know what this rule means or when to expect it to apply.
- 7.3 and 8.5 both make clear that headlights should be turned on for pit stops. I'd like some clarification about timing of the lights please. Is it intended that you turn on lights a few corners early in an attempt to warn people that you will enter the pits and are you also required to leave them on until after turn 1, for example? Or is it all purely for the length of the speed-limited main pit area?
- 8.3 says that drivers on-track are not allowed to use the pit blend lane as part of the racing surface. a) is that both entry and exit blend lines? b) is that a blanket rule of "put a wheel there and get an instant penalty" or just an "if you go there while racing you are in an Orange Zone and will be heavily penalised if anything happens"?
- 10.3 references easing off if a driver puts the car outside track limits so that the instance does not count against their total. What total is being counted, where, by whom, and how can a driver know his current count?
- 10.4 suggests that fastest laps of all cars are manually checked for track limits infractions. Is this correct or is it to allow for laps to be reported/protested by other teams?
- 10.4.1 is another item unclear to me with regard to how such events are noted. Applies only if a live steward happens to notice the incident or a protest is filed?
- 11.5.1 gives me two queries. a) is a "new driver" in their first race or their first season? b) what does "FLT" stand for?
- 11.5.2 about lapping within 103%: is this a strictly enforced rule or a method to allow for drivers to be excluded if so desired? Also, is it up to participants to work out what 103% is or is there a statement somewhere of what the 103% time is or which drivers are currently outside it?
- 13.5 regarding shortcut penalties. Is this talking about the automatic cut detections by the client software (where I thought three leads to a penalty) or is this talking about shortcuts seen by or reported to the live stewards?
- 15.5.2 regarding rejoining from pits during Code 80. My reading of this is that, if you exit the pits and are alongside the first car of a three-car train, you are required to drop behind the final car of the train, not just behind the first car. Correct?
- 15.10 leaves me unsure what action is required if such a call is made. Should a driver treat the entire sector as a Code 80 (because this rule is in the Code 80 section of the rules), or should they merely treat it is if seeing yellow flags and slow appropriately?
- 15.11 might be a problem if a driver is on his final permitted lap before serving an existing penalty. As that would be a DQ from the client software if not served, presumably Force Majeure would apply and we would be alright as long as we inform the stewards?
- Section 16 - Safety Ratings. Is a driver able to find his current safety rating? Will he be notified after a race if his rating falls (regardless of the level it dropped to)?
- Show all