What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

PC upgrade suggestions

Adam Taylor

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my pc soon and I was wondering what would be best so that I can run Rfactor 2 with close to max settings. I have triple screens with a resolution of 5760 x 1080 and current PC spec's are in my signature bellow. Could you please what fps(on average),graphic settings and resolution you are running. Thank you.

Well running rf2 at full settings and using triples is a dream you can throw away from now on. I'm talking if you want above 120 fps + ofcourse. It's possible but only a card like an Titan X has enough power to do it I think. But even then it's hard.

Looking at your specs I would suggest upgrading you gpu. The think is, in the near future nvidea and AMD are going to release there next gen gpu. So If you can wait and see how they perform that would be the best option. Also short after the release of those card you can buy the high end cards from now 2nd hand quite cheap!

If you want to upgrade now, I would suggest a 980ti or and AMD fury X. I'm an AMD fan and a couple of guys here on the forums seem to have trouble with the 980(ti) and rf2. I still haven't found the cause for there trouble :(
Not sure what your thougts are about SLI/Crossfire option, but I always have the question if it's worth the money with the trouble it brings and not that big performance gain (very driver depended).

You cpu isn't that strong either, it isn't mandetory to change it but if you are doing it have a look at the latest i7 6700 and the i5 6600 (diff between them isn't that big, the price is ;) ). Chaging cpu also requires changing motherboard and so on.

Well, even with my specs which are at my signature I do have some enormous frame drops. I´ve tried everything, GTX 690 single and SLi in recent past, GTX 980 single and SLi, and now GTX 980 Ti. I rather think that the main problem it´s the SIM engine or something and maybe DX9.
I don´t see any changes with the new GPU´s...

For the CPU change you can go with the 4790k with no worries. As a bonus you can use your current mobo. I run mine at stock speeds with a stock cooler and never had CPU problems in any sim. Also keep in mind that I run very often in 30+ celsius ambient temps. I would say it has the best value/performance amongst more powerful processors.

@Adam Taylor

Buy this man, it will be awesome and help with your framerate and laptimes too -
upload_2016-2-17_12-40-56.png

Give me a shout and I'll sell it you real cheap (cheap as chips some might say) and get you running before Sebring. :)

Come on fella, it'll help us with the points too :)

Considering most Nvidia 900 series are crashing at the moment I'd stay away from them, that leaves you AMD cards or the Titan (which idk if it's crashing as well) if you can afford it.

For running triple screens you should go for a card with at the very least 6GB of memory, 8GB+ is ideal, 100 FPS+ is recommended.

Edit: I'd upgrade to 12GB of RAM as well.

Last edited:
For running triple screens you should go for a card with at the very least 6GB of memory, 8GB+ is ideal, 100 FPS+ is recommended.

IMO, this is most important. My next card(s) will be a minimum of 6GB. Having said that, I run 3 x Asus Rog Swift monitors with 3 x GTX780TiSC's in tri-Sli without any problems with max settings

I have 3x27" GTX980 4GB (before I had SLI 970 but SLI optimization is week) and CPU Intel 4970@4,8GHz and have no any issues with good frame rate. All settings are High or full with HDR turn on and GPU sync.