What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

new skins

Matt Strand

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
I'm having issues figuring out where everything goes in rfactor2. I tried to expand the .mas files in every folder of my game and they're all empty. I'm just trying to do a few skins on the GT cars for a few friends in the World Challenge series but cant figure out where to put them or new .veh files. Could somebody help me out?

i got that but how to I add stand alone cars not an alternate skin?

You can't do that without making a complete .rfcmp
Depends on in which mod it is - remember our .veh does not apply to other leagues using BES mod.

You may feel that it "bites", on the other hand, how many mismatches have you had in rfactor2 ? :)

if this ALT skin thing is the only way to have a car for your self offline how do you put the extras in like wheels, windows, etc? Is there a certain naming that would add those extras into the alternate skin that I'm missing? for example my alternate skin right now is PWC64_ALT. I tried PWC64_ALT_WINDOW, PWC64_WINDOW_ALT, & PWC64WINDOW_ALT which did nothing. Even for this league this would be useful to know to preview a full car that I'm working on before submitting it.

Yea, I couldn't do that either, so I just gave up... I was going to try having the additional items named for the original car skin in the folder with the ALT skin... thinking the added texture would load over the texture in the MAS file (rfcmp).

But I haven't spent the time to crack the nut yet...

ask me how many I've had in rf1 in the last year too ;)

If "few", then it's because of good management, but the old system made it possible to mess with files both intentionally and not and STILL join a server - which was kinda my point :)

If "few", then it's because of good management, but the old system made it possible to mess with files both intentionally and not and STILL join a server - which was kinda my point :)
good management with tools like sim sync and knowing what i was doing back then helped haha answer was 0 by the way and maybe 2 the year before that. I just want to know how to have the windows and wheels show up for preview without having to make a whole new package everytime

still doesn't answer my question. not exactly clever if the rest of the pieces cant be added to see the whole car

OK as for the "I was going to try having the additional items named for the original car skin in the folder with the ALT skin... thinking the added texture would load over the texture in the MAS file (rfcmp)." No this does not work... I tried looking at the spinner, and in game, it did not work.

I agree, this is a big pain in the butt if you are painting custom cars, I liked the rF file format so much better, but that is only my opinion.

I also tried dropping the dds files in the Installed Folder (with all the mas files) this did not work either.

Last edited:
if this ALT skin thing is the only way to have a car for your self offline how do you put the extras in like wheels, windows, etc? Is there a certain naming that would add those extras into the alternate skin that I'm missing? for example my alternate skin right now is PWC64_ALT. I tried PWC64_ALT_WINDOW, PWC64_WINDOW_ALT, & PWC64WINDOW_ALT which did nothing. Even for this league this would be useful to know to preview a full car that I'm working on before submitting it.

Sorry, missed that part... But it depends on the name of the actual material assigned the .GMT inside the .MAS - usually they are called WCWINDOW, WCEXTRA, WCBODY, WCRIM etc.

So "PWC64ALTWINDOW" or "PWC64_ALTWINDOW" should be your answer

That did work, The trick is knowing what the item is named e.g., for the Vantage, the template for the wheels is RIM, but in game it is RIMS.

Example: RWR_13ALTRIMS.dds

Matt,

If you want to crack the rfcomp nut here is a document that might help.

Attachments

• rF2_Packaging_Tutorial.pdf
    901.3 KB · Views: 12