What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

Need new graphics card... Any help?

Morten Faarup

Reaction score
I think i need a new graphics card, but my wallet is not for buying the GTX 2080 TI like my eyes want, so i need some help.

Im only changing card for rfactor2 use. I dont care about performance in benchmarks and tests if it doesnt show in rf2.
Currently im looking at the ASUS GTX 1080 8GB or the new ASUS RTX 2070 8GB, does any of you guys know if some cards are better for rfactor than others? I know which one scores higher in the benchmarks, but the question for me is how much of this power rfactor can actually utilize, since i can see everything runs ok in iracing even with my current setup.

My system current system is:
(I guess this wont have too much of an influence, and anyway this is cheap to upgrade)

Intel i5 3.40Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 1060 6GB
Running a 3 screen setup

First you should upgrade CPU. If you want to really get noticeable fps improvement in triple screen after a 1060 go for minimum 1080ti

First you should upgrade CPU. If you want to really get noticeable fps improvement in triple screen after a 1060 go for minimum 1080ti
Thx for taking time to reply m8.
Are you sure I will feel a difference with the CPU? Some of the older i7 cpus are matched by this one. And most games dont use more than 4 cores and 4 threads anyway?

My question goes more in the direction of turning up graphics in-game. As i see it the GTX 1080ti is only marginal better than the RTX 2070 in the benchmarks, and there is quite a difference in price. But can these tests be related directly to this game (this is where I could have my doubts). I tend to think that rfactor2 isnt that good at utilizing the GPU power compared to other games, or am I all wrong?

Last edited:
From my experience changing graphics cards on rf2 you will notice difference, specially on a triple screen setup. You cant really compare games but rf2 is now dx11 so in theory it should work like any other dx11 game in terms of difference between graphics cards. Probably right now the best choice overall is the 2070 but its really hard to say 100% sure unless someone on the forum have both. Like I said if you can, buy a 1080ti if you cant buy the 2070.

Marcel explain in S397 forum that Rf2 is high demanding single core CPU. And only use two. So if you want improve in triple screen you should update the CPU and dont make bottleneck with It.
Bottleneck calculator | First bottleneck calculator | TheBottlenecker
Thx a lot m8. Seems like i have the perfect match right now according to this. If I upgrade graphics then I need a processor too. But im surprised to see that the i5 is a better match than the i7, when you consider the prices.