What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing.
Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Introduction to VEC Season 11

Carsten Wilhelm

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
Tyre and fuel tactics
Oh and can we use the introduction to S11 thread instead of making a new thread for each question?

Concerning the simultaneous refuelling and tyre change thing. In my perception, that is a rather bad. We are thereby losing any chance of tactics whatsoever. All we will be seeing is burning down the tyres and getting a new set every stint. For me, this is not the point of endurance racing.

However, I fully understand Jimmi saying that it is not as easily changeable as in past seasons, because the mod being official content and, as I understand, VEC partnering up with Studio397. I only want to encourage you guys to think about that whole thing and maybe consider doing something about that.

Tyre and fuel tactics

Concerning the simultaneous refuelling and tyre change thing. In my perception, that is a rather bad. We are thereby losing any chance of tactics whatsoever. All we will be seeing is burning down the tyres and getting a new set every stint. For me, this is not the point of endurance racing.

However, I fully understand Jimmi saying that it is not as easily changeable as in past seasons, because the mod being official content and, as I understand, VEC partnering up with Studio397. I only want to encourage you guys to think about that whole thing and maybe consider doing something about that.
I like strategy but i also like the fact that it is as close to the real world as possible.
Like the upgrades this is something I am looking into.
Have you tried? Perhaps you have looked into the strategy by checking the different time. It might be concurrent but one might still gain time (I have not checked)

Dimitrios Pappas

VEC Division 4
VLMS
SRC Season pass
No matter change or not the tires,whatever tire(soft to medium,med to med,hard to hard etc) pitstop time was 30 sec!Came out off pits with 5lt,req pitstop and full fuel with NO change of tires 30 sec,again the same with change tires(hards to hards) bam 30 sec again!
all this thanks to @Augusto Arias;)

James Johnson

VEC Division 1
SRC Season pass
I like strategy but i also like the fact that it is as close to the real world as possible.
Like the upgrades this is something I am looking into.

Have you tried? Perhaps you have looked into the strategy by checking the different time. It might be concurrent but one might still gain time (I have not checked)
I think it's more that the tire performance degradation is pretty harsh across all tire compounds. (In the GTE class atleast) So that limits your actual strategy choices when the pitstop's mean you could change at every stop.

Last edited:
I think it's more that the tire performance degradation is pretty harsh across all tire compounds. (In the GTE class atleast) So that limits your actual strategy choices when the pitstop's mean you could change at every stop.
What does not work for you, might work for someone who is easier on tyres. Basically as VEC we cant do anything on the base of the car, so dont get your hopes on in that department.

No matter change or not the tires,whatever tire(soft to medium,med to med,hard to hard etc) pitstop time was 30 sec!Came out off pits with 5lt,req pitstop and full fuel with NO change of tires 30 sec,again the same with change tires(hards to hards) bam 30 sec again!
all this thanks to @Augusto Arias;)
Again, see my previous posts - this is basically the rules which has been imposed by ACO - which S397 has put onto the cars, will this change - right now i have no idea. This is not something we can´t tweak in VEC, as in at all - well we could..but i dont see a positive outcome of that kinda behaviour ;)

Carsten Wilhelm

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
I think as it is right now, you can't possibly gain time when not changing tyres vs. new tyres. The only thing which I imagine could be interesting is wether you can get a set of S7 to last one stint. But I haven't tested that yet since I was occupied painting our cars until yesterday.

But Jimmi said he's looking into that so let's just wait and see what happens.

Sherwin vd Sloot

VEC Division 2
VEC Season Pass
Isn't it possible to see what compounds teams used through out the race in the results file? Because you could for example "force" teams into using at least 2 compounds in a race at whatever point... :p

That would bring back some level of strategy, because you have to decide when to use the slower tire, and your opponents can't see because from the outside, they look the same ;)

Tonga Guardia

VEC Division 3
SRC Season pass
In real life there is still some strategy involved since there's a limit on tire sets. Would be cool feature to have for VEC tbh
AMS (Automobilista) from reiza have this feature, you can set on the server "X" sets of tires for an entire weekend, and you can put a set of used tires too....
Will be really good if S397 implement this on RF2...
If reiza did this with the rf1 engine, maybe not be too hard to do it on rf2...

Simon Marshall

VEC Division 4
VLMS
SRC Season pass
until further notice this is what we will use. Will this change, i cant say right now.

Oh and can we use the introduction to S11 thread instead of making a new thread for each question?
A piece of me just died reading this... ok slightly dramatic but tyre strategy is this only hope the slower and consistent guys have to out manoeuvre the aliens

Feel free to move the contents of this thread the the main thread, I know where to post future questions

Mikko Korkiakoski

VEC Division 1
VEC Season Pass
AFAIK the tire change and refuelling is NOT concurrent in the P2. I've tried it and so have my teamies and it is separate for all of us.