What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

I need to improve my driving

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
This season I've been caught with a warning and a penalty for two similar incidents. Failure to give space to faster cars passing to the outside on my left and thus causing a collision. The frustrating thing is that each time I've felt I've done the best I can to be aware of the other car, checking its position before committing to a change of line or corner phase and once becoming aware of the manoeuvre doing my best to avoid conflict - lifting to allow space, pulling a tighter line etc. but I haven't managed to do enough.
I wonder if I'm missing out for a split second due to VR. In general it's a huge boon to situational awareness. It sort of enforces proper use of the mirrors and is great for peripheral vision of what is going on in the mirror on the side towards which you are looking in a corner. The downside is that moves to the outside are just not visible when looking to the apex or even corner exit on longer corners. Using virtual mirrors isn't a great deal of help as they are also out of the line of sight during critical corner phases. A spotter call is also too late - I feel it's the moment before the car moves alongside that I'm missing information on.
I'm concerned because I can't realistically see a way of avoiding finding myself in the same situation again. And that's no improvement.

Brian van Beusekom

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Using virtual mirrors isn't a great deal of help as they are also out of the line of sight during critical corner phases. A spotter call is also too late - I feel it's the moment before the car moves alongside that I'm missing information on.
Try setting VR + mirror, with the mirror windowed 1280x720 resolution. The smaller res makes the hud a bit smaller as well so things like flags/virtual mirrors are much easier to see.
We also always have someone in TS watching the track map and warning us when faster cars are approaching so we're aware.

Last edited:

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
Try setting VR + mirror, with the mirror windowed 1280x720 resolution. The smaller res makes the hud a bit smaller as well so things like flags/virtual mirrors are much easier to see.
We also always have someone in TS watching the track map and warning us when faster cars are approaching so we're aware.
Cheers Brian. It isn't even necessary (at least with the Vive) to run the mirror. The resolution settings still apply to the UI and HUD. Unfortunately I'm running similar resolutions and while looking ahead to the corner the virtual mirrors don't seem to register sufficiently in my awareness. Bringing them any lower would also cause the issue that they would no longer be nestling in the roof of the car. When they start floating across the outside world they induce nausea in me. That's something I could probably stomach for a short sprint race but a full stint, let alone two or three, would have me reeling.
As to the spotter, we try to do the same and build awareness around the shape of the race - but what I am missing out on is that split second when the move is launched. Spotting that isn't possible without having a spectator in the server unfortunately.

David Nichols

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
Are you running Crew Chief? It has an inbuilt spotter that will tell you when there is a car on your side, and also when it is clear.

Ah I see thats not goint to help.

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
Are you running Crew Chief? It has an inbuilt spotter that will tell you when there is a car on your side, and also when it is clear.

Ah I see thats not goint to help.
I'm sure on many occasions it's a life saver. When CrewChief wasn't working with driver swaps it was quite unsettling having to do without.
What concerns me is that I knew the other cars were alongside at about the same time CrewChief would have told me and still wasn't able to deal with it.

David Nichols

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean, but they have fixed the driver swap issue. Not having the spotter caused me some issues at NOLA.

Last edited:

Lars Jeppesen

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Do you happen to have the incident(s) saved? Would love to hear what we can try and learn from this as I fear I'll be next in line to get spanked for not getting out of the way of P2's fast enough.

Enzo Fazzi

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
I don't know if it was you because I have no drivers names in VR, but I've noticed the Rookie Monsters GTE in VLMS was quite often moving out of the way for LMP2's. This can create dangerous situations due to it being unpredictable.

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
That wasn't me. I'm only driving an LMP3 in Div 2 VEC at the moment. Some of my GTE team mates have been saying that I should be more belligerent about never moving off line. But I don't think that it's possible to be that rigid in the P3. You often have to help or be helped to make a lapping move because there isn't a big enough performance difference between the P3 and the other two classes. When all three classes are running together and you're dealing with lapped cars of the same class too it gets quite fluid.

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
Lars, I don't know how useful that would be. People tend to get pointy fingers and very certain when it comes to looking at replays with hindsight. I'm getting a better idea of what I'm struggling with and might start being more specific about asking for help to find a way out.

Per Oqvist

Reaction score
This season I've been caught with a warning and a penalty for two similar incidents. Failure to give space to faster cars passing to the outside on my left and thus causing a collision. The frustrating thing is that each time I've felt I've done the best I can to be aware of the other car, checking its position before committing to a change of line or corner phase and once becoming aware of the manoeuvre doing my best to avoid conflict - lifting to allow space, pulling a tighter line etc. but I haven't managed to do enough.
I wonder if I'm missing out for a split second due to VR. In general it's a huge boon to situational awareness. It sort of enforces proper use of the mirrors and is great for peripheral vision of what is going on in the mirror on the side towards which you are looking in a corner. The downside is that moves to the outside are just not visible when looking to the apex or even corner exit on longer corners. Using virtual mirrors isn't a great deal of help as they are also out of the line of sight during critical corner phases. A spotter call is also too late - I feel it's the moment before the car moves alongside that I'm missing information on.
I'm concerned because I can't realistically see a way of avoiding finding myself in the same situation again. And that's no improvement.
Yes you är right. You just perfect justified a purchase of a pimax 5k+ or 8k with 170 degree fov.
Use that explanation to whatever government you may have at home!

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
Yes you är right. You just perfect justified a purchase of a pimax 5k+ or 8k with 170 degree fov.
Use that explanation to whatever government you may have at home!
Ha! Every little helps! But even in real life I think you would struggle to get anything useful out of your furthest mirror while in the middle of a turn in the other direction. Of course in real life there would be loads of more subtle clues that would almost subconsciously tell you where the other car was.

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
@Michael Matzen I'm looking that up now. Do you know if the larger radar widget with lighting up sectors is available for rF2? Also, in VR do the SimHub widgets float and stay centred with your view or are they tied to the orientation of the car? I've only used SimHub for remote telemetry rather than in car HUDs so far.

Michael Matzen

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
@Michael Matzen I'm looking that up now. Do you know if the larger radar widget with lighting up sectors is available for rF2? Also, in VR do the SimHub widgets float and stay centred with your view or are they tied to the orientation of the car? I've only used SimHub for remote telemetry rather than in car HUDs so far.
I personally haven't tried it yet with rF2, we are using this with Assetto Corsa in our league. Also with the VR thingy I cannot help, I am a single-screen-pleb :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
What I know is, that all the simhub things must be run with windowed or borderless mode as that are all overlays, which won't be displayed in fullscreen. I have absolutely no idea how that turns out in VR.

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
It should work, as VR has to run rF2 as a window. One issue is that SteamVR seems to be struggling to prioritise the correct window recently.

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
Is the only way to get SimHub widgets into Vive VR via OVRdrop?