What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Driver Swap Damage Bug

Shane Chancellor

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Hi guys,

We at BHR have had a driver swap bug issue in regards to damage - have done testing and posted on the S397 technical forum.

Driver Swap Damage Bug

Anyone with similar issues please add to the post.

At the end of the day we are being disadvantaged because at each stop even if we have minor damage at each stop we are forced to repair it in the fear the damage will be significantly worse.

p.s. Jimmi we have cleared the passwords out of the trace files before posting them.

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, not saying there is not an issue, but i see a lot of "no repairs" what happens if you actually repair damage which you probably should do to drive safe around other classes?

Arne Schoonvliet

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
OK, not saying there is not an issue, but i see a lot of "no repairs" what happens if you actually repair damage which you probably should do to drive safe around other classes?
As long steering wheel isn't 45° in the wrong direction most teams won't repair. The total time loss is to big compared to the time lost on track.

Shawn Jacobs

VLMC director
VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
We had the same at mosport, not massively but the steering was straight, then when a driver swap occurred the steering was at 2pm right hand down.

Shane Chancellor

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
If we repair like last round, Josh had very minor front damage, drove it hard for 3 hours without an issue, we would have not repaired it at the stop if the damage transfer was the same on driver swap, but we had to, because we didn't want to risk larger damage and then having to do a lap with totally shit steering.

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
As long steering wheel isn't 45° in the wrong direction most teams won't repair. The total time loss is to big compared to the time lost on track.
Well apparently not if damage is worse after a swap ;) so again what happens if a repair is done, any issues?

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
If we repair like last round, Josh had very minor front damage, drove it hard for 3 hours without an issue, we would have not repaired it at the stop if the damage transfer was the same on driver swap, but we had to, because we didn't want to risk larger damage and then having to do a lap with totally shit steering.
Ok, thanks that explains it. There is a reason we added longer repair times, this is to force drivers to avoid contact (or get penalized with damage and time in the pits). Again not saying there is not an issue, but from a VEC point of view it works as intended - except damage appears to be too light, from a game perspective there is definitely something that needs to be reviewed.

Shane Chancellor

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
I think we all can agree that after a swap with minor damage, that the damage shouldn't get any worse ;)
Yeah that's basically all we are trying to get at, any big damage obviously we would repair, but what's frustrating is having minor damage and then having to repair it when you really shouldn't have to. Last round we lost 40 seconds for something shouldn't have had to repair if you know what i mean.

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
I think we all can agree that after a swap with minor damage, that the damage shouldn't get any worse ;)
I do believe i said that "i am not saying there is not an issue", what i still wanted to know when i replied was what actually happens if the repair is made.
But yes we agree that damage should obviously not become bigger - so use that thread above if you have tracelog and more details, though i think Shane´s post is very well made.

Thomas Jacobs

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but do the drivers you tested this with have different steering lock settings for the setup? that would explain why it looks to get better/ worse, then return back after driver swaps.

Shane Chancellor

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but do the drivers you tested this with have different steering lock settings for the setup? that would explain why it looks to get better/ worse, then return back after driver swaps.
Same settings, but also when we got the car back for a 2nd time , the steering/suspension damage is even worse than the first time being in the car.

Ben Boorman

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
Ok, another issue with damage and driver swaps that may or may not be related:

When we received minor front end aero damage we elected not to repair it. After the next driver swap the car appeared to have no damage yet at the following pitstop we were forced to undergo repairs with no option to avoid or cancel them.

Does this tie in with any of the ways the bug you are discussing manifests itself or should I raise this issue in a separate thread on the S397 forum?

Shane Chancellor

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Ok, another issue with damage and driver swaps that may or may not be related:

When we received minor front end aero damage we elected not to repair it. After the next driver swap the car appeared to have no damage yet at the following pitstop we were forced to undergo repairs with no option to avoid or cancel them.

Does this tie in with any of the ways the bug you are discussing manifests itself or should I raise this issue in a separate thread on the S397 forum?
Hi m8, you might as well add it to the s397 post, we noticed at barbagello that the car was repairing itself slightly after each stop, but weren't forced to repair any of it. If you have a trace file or other info that the developers can look at that will also help.

Kalle Kouri

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
We at Ajira Racing #97, or let's say I personally :), experienced this during Sepang race. Daniel was driving and he got some minor damage to the front right because of optimistic LMP2 driver passing in a dangerous place / quickly appearing from behind LMP3. After he passed the car to me immediately felt there was something wrong with it. It was difficult to drive and couldn't put those lap times in opening laps as in practice with lot less rubber. Did two stints with the car and somehow second stint felt better but it could have also been me getting used to the different handling. Arne took over the car from me. Both Daniel and Arne said the car was totally fine with the minor damage (all three drivers could see light blue damage to the front right). We obviously didn't do any repairs because damage wasn't too severe and we would have lost more time with repairs included.

Lorenzo Arisi

VEC Season Pass
VLMC season pass
Reaction score
Pretty sure we experienced the same at Sepang. ReBorn Racers #108, Div2 LMP2.
I was doing my planned quadruple stint at the start of the race when i suffered some damage (light blue and dark blue as well) due to a contact with a lapped LMP2 who braked just ahead of me to avoid a slow GTE.
Car was still straight and easy to drive until i swapped with Daniele Pizzo (not repairing damage). He immediately reported the car was handling horribly compared to the practice days and also the vec practice server he was testing in minutes earlier - big oversteer in fast corners was the main issue, steering was still ok, so we were forced to change strategy and swap every 2 stints.
In my and his next stints car felt good again (like the first stint), we never repaired any damage that would have implied more time loss.

Last edited: