What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

Driver swap bug

Enzo Fazzi

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Please post any relevant information about the different driver swap bugs i.e. trace files, 'symptoms' etc etc.
Also mention your system specs, plugins you're using and controllers that are connected.

Enzo Fazzi

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
First incredibly strange bug:
I joined the server, clicked on Sam and did passenger select. Then I assigned and loaded the setup (which was identical to Sam's in name and settings) and pressed the Start button to go onboard with Sam. Sam selected me in the pit menu but as he did that, the 'cursor' immediately changed to the rear wing setting, which was already an indicator for us. We went through with the driver swap anyway.
When Sam stopped in the box, it showed I gained control in X amount of seconds and for Sam it showed he would lose control in X amount of seconds. After X amount of seconds I got control and drove off. Sam did the same. We were both in full control of the (or should I say 'a') car. We could both see other drivers going at the code 80 speed, but the other cars were not in the same location for the both of us. Jake told us that only Sam was showing on livetiming, which was the only way for me to know that what I was seeing was 'fake'. I stopped the car and exited to monitor, which then showed me Sam as DNF. But Sam was still driving on the 'real' server.

About two hours later, we tried again. Exactly the same steps and also the same thing happened in Sam's pit menu. Only this time AI got control during the swap and retired the car.

System specs are in my signature.
I only use the TrackMap and DAM (telemetry) plugin. DAMplugin wasn't enabled, but not logging.
I included all trace files from last night. First driver swap bug happened just before 2 AM and the second one around 3 AM.

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh Hoare

Reaction score
Had a similar thing happen at Silverstone except I was the driver already in the car and ended up in the 'fake' car after the driver swap. I drove out in the 'fake' car and got crashed into because I was invisible to everyone else. When I escaped it transferred all the damage from my fake car to the real car. We didn't do another driver swap after that so not sure if AI would've taken control. :confused:

Piotr Morawiec

Reaction score
We had with Artut Szykula same thing. He was to swap me, but i had controls and ability do drive. On live timing was, that we are in pit stop. Had to stop after 2 laps and crash rF, Artur rejoined after connecting to serwer.
Same setups, same setups names. Maybe its because I haven't got any info, that Crew is Ready fo Pit Stop ? I went to pit lane after contact on last turn with spinning GT.

Enzo Fazzi

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Come on guys, add system specs, plugins and trace files. Just saying what happened isn't going to help a lot.

Tomas Beha

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
NEVER touch the garage settings at all prior to a swap - make sure that your setup is as it should be and set as DEFAULT before joining as spectator.

Piotr Morawiec

Reaction score
Always ours setups are assigned as default before race day. No changes are made from friday. No one touches any garage settings during driver swap.
Before entering serwer everyone go offline to check if everything works fine. Then join as spectate to swap. Drives with team mate about 2-4 laps before pit.
Installed plugin's : TrackMap and CursoRadar (witch don't work during driver swap)

Doug Atkinson

Reaction score
Incoming driver reboot before taking the car.
Outgoing driver stay with the car until 2-3 turns out of the pits.
Outgoing driver confirm with the incoming driver they have control of the car.
Outgoing driver exit rF2, Steam, and reboot the computer (not just exit rF2).

Matheus Machado

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
So once again that bug happened, we did exactly as described here:
Starting driver loads and assigns the setup (the assign button turns the default setup into the loaded one)
Incoming driver restarts his pc and joins about 5 mins before the swap.
Incoming driver (and no one else) selects active driver in the menu and presses the passenger select button.
Incoming driver does NOT touch the setup menu at all.
Active driver selects the incoming driver in the pit menu.
Incoming driver presses "race" around the final corner of the track.
After the pitstop, the driver who just lost control stays with the new driver for a lap or so, before hitting escape and leaving the server.

As soon as Tobias pressed passenger select, he got control of the car while I was still driving. His car was put in 1st gear at 200+ KMh, obviously blowing up the engine. My car still drives fine, while I see some warping from other cars. A little bit after my name gets changed to Tobias in the standings and 5 seconds or so after I lose all the menus and Engine power. Game crashed soon after and rejoin didn't work for both of us.

My trace files from race day are here. Logged into the server once to join the server during practice and only did it once again to try a rejoin. 3 Trace files were generated though.

Attachments

Kyran Parkin

Reaction score
Trace file from my end of our driver swap issue. Was handing over to Max, the game displayed the usual "You will lose control in x seconds" and as the stop completed, I still had control of the car. This would've been fine if Max hadn't already driven away in a duplicate ghost car. I pulled off the track to try and understand what the hell was going on, escaped and left the server. As I did, Max in his version of the car was booted from the server. Once he rejoined it had loaded him in on our assigned setup; Slicks and 14 rear wing... in wet conditions. I will get Max's trace files and post them here too when he gets out of the car later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bu3u185meyzk62x/trace_2017_04_08_15_01_02-96.txt?dl=0

Maximilian Schieder

Reaction score
Trace file from my end of our driver swap issue. Was handing over to Max, the game displayed the usual "You will lose control in x seconds" and as the stop completed, I still had control of the car. This would've been fine if Max hadn't already driven away in a duplicate ghost car. I pulled off the track to try and understand what the hell was going on, escaped and left the server. As I did, Max in his version of the car was booted from the server. Once he rejoined it had loaded him in on our assigned setup; Slicks and 14 rear wing... in wet conditions. I will get Max's trace files and post them here too when he gets out of the car later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bu3u185meyzk62x/trace_2017_04_08_15_01_02-96.txt?dl=0

Attachments

Tomas Beha

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
After the pitstop, the driver who just lost control stays with the new driver for a lap or so, before hitting escape and leaving the server.
Looks like you missed the part where the exiting driver pressed "Passenger Select" again to have "XXXX is no longer driving with you" shown for the current driver BEFORE exiting the server.

Tobias Roehner

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Looks like you missed the part where the exiting driver pressed "Passenger Select" again to have "XXXX is no longer driving with you" shown for the current driver BEFORE exiting the server.
That has nothing to do with it at all. I pressed the button to drive with Matheus, he selected me in the pit menu, and instead of giving me control during the pitstop, the game gave me control straight away.

Tomas Beha

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
You are most welcome, I'll just let you keep messing up the driver swaps then...

Joonas Raivio

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
You are most welcome, I'll just let you keep messing up the driver swaps then...
And thats really helpful, thanks. :) Why like everytime someone has game issues you guys tell its the user's fault, I think its been seen many times that the simulator has some series bugs/issues.. You can't blame users for that....

Matheus Machado

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
he gained control in the lap I was going into the pits, didn't even get there to make a pitstop in first place.

Jimmi Allison

Administrator
Reaction score
Listen.
It's not easy to troubleshoot when users think other users are blaiming issues on them - when simply explaining that someone might have forgotten something.

I think Machado did everything the way I've done it in the past. However what I do miss is an explanation on what plugins you are running.
And when I ask it's not because I claim that rf2 is perfect in its current state - it's simply because it would be nice to know, and we might be able to pin point any issues.

I've seen a few onboards and people click race at the last second - that is not advisable at all.

Are users to blame on issues - erm yeah! Are they to blame on everything - definitely not, but stop thinking every question is an attack.
Some teams, like NLR have not had the swap issue at all - yet other teams continue to experience it.
Random? Could be - so let's try to nail it.

Many thank you for the tracelogs - this could show issues - so keep em coming :)

For those who have had the issue - please remove all dll files from plugins - make sure you don't run them - for the sake of trouble shooting.
We will probably host a few LeMans test races and test the sh*t out of driver swaps.

Tobias Roehner

VEC Season Pass
Reaction score
Only plugin I am running is Trackmap. It's not caused issues for me in the past so far (except some flickering of the plugin when fps counter was disabled).
I have a mostly fresh install of rF2 as well (did it before Bathurst 12h).

Also sorry @Tomas Beha for being annoyed yesterday with my reaction, was still a bit annoyed at the whole ordeal.