What's new
SimRacing.Club

Welcome to SimRacing.Club
We are an online racing league, and has years of experience using S397´s rFactor 2. We have several series - VEC which is the official rFactor 2 endurance championship. 6-24 hour races - its all about endurance.
VEC´s feeder series Virtual Le Mans Series and several special events - Plenty of racing. Register today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll just need to introduce yourself and then you can start off in our Academy series

• This is where you introduce yourself - please click here
    Read the first post please

21:9 or 3 monitors?

Roberto Chierchia

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Yeah, I know... someone is going to say VR but it isn't my first pick for the moment...

Has anyone tried both the configs?

Which are pros and cons, based on your opinion?

Hi

I have tried all three configs (VR, 21:9 and triples). Had 21:9 first, moved to triples, then moved to VR, then moved back to triples. That kinda tells you which one I prefer.

I bought my AOC 21:9, non-GSync (3440x1440) a while back before anything more than 60Hz was available. Wouldn't get anything under 144Hz now and ,for me, GSync is a must.
Pros. Less space required for your rig; easy to mount; generally cheaper than triples; requires less GPU power than triples.
Cons. Albeit more real-estate than a 2560x1440 monitor, it wasn't a big enough difference for me.

I currently use 3 x 27 inch ROG Swift (2560x1440) 144Hz GSync monitors (@7800x1440 - bezel corrected).
Cons are pretty much the opposite of the pros listed above (mounting can be a bit fiddly, but once its done, its done). But above all, triples are way more immersive for me. Having the correct FOV allows you to see so much more and be more aware of your surroundings, especially immediately left and right.

I would recommend triples if you have the funds and the GPU grunt needed.

Hi

I have tried all three configs (VR, 21:9 and triples). Had 21:9 first, moved to triples, then moved to VR, then moved back to triples. That kinda tells you which one I prefer.

I bought my AOC 21:9, non-GSync (3440x1440) a while back before anything more than 60Hz was available. Wouldn't get anything under 144Hz now and ,for me, GSync is a must.
Pros. Less space required for your rig; easy to mount; generally cheaper than triples; requires less GPU power than triples.
Cons. Albeit more real-estate than a 2560x1440 monitor, it wasn't a big enough difference for me.

I currently use 3 x 27 inch ROG Swift (2560x1440) 144Hz GSync monitors (@7800x1440 - bezel corrected).
Cons are pretty much the opposite of the pros listed above (mounting can be a bit fiddly, but once its done, its done). But above all, triples are way more immersive for me. Having the correct FOV allows you to see so much more and be more aware of your surroundings, especially immediately left and right.

I would recommend triples if you have the funds and the GPU grunt needed.
Hi Joe and thanks for your reply.

This morning I've tried a 21:9 34" monitor while playing various racing sims and to be honest I didn't get impressed... :/

I am considering a 27" 144hz 1440p monitor but probably without G-Sync... do you think that it would be enough for the smoothness?

I am considering a 27" 144hz 1440p monitor but probably without G-Sync... do you think that it would be enough for the smoothness?

Do you mean you are considering a single 27" monitor or 3x 27" monitors?
Either way, it should be fine, depending on what graphics card you have. If you can stretch to GSync (nVidia) or FreeSync (AMD) then I highly recommend it. If not, then you may have to enable vSync in-games to stop screen tearing, but this will increase input lag. Not something you want in Sim racing games.

Do you mean you are considering a single 27" monitor or 3x 27" monitors?
Either way, it should be fine, depending on what graphics card you have. If you can stretch to GSync (nVidia) or FreeSync (AMD) then I highly recommend it. If not, then you may have to enable vSync in-games to stop screen tearing, but this will increase input lag. Not something you want in Sim racing games.
First 1 single 27" monitor, then maybe add the other 2...

I still need to upgrade my sim rig and that's why I was considering to save the GSync extra money... I've already spent too much to upgrade the entire computer